Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

After watching alot of the debate last night I was struck by the stark differences between the democrat debate, I admit I watched more of the republican debate than the democrat but it doesnt take long to see there are definate differences between the two partys.I would have to say that If I had to choose right now, strictly on principle, I would vote for Duncan Hunter hands down, He has a strong uncompromised record as a true conservative, he is tough on immigration, and his best answer when the wolfman asked if republicans should be more like Arnold Shwartzeneggger he basically said not no but hell no! Bottom line is outside of probably Ron Paul cuckoo cuckoo.. and Tom Tancredo "one issue" They all would be better for this country than any of the democrats in the race!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
I dont get the channels the debate was on but
any party that would even entertain the thought of a McCain,
Romney, or Guiliani is too scary to think about !
They are so out of it I beleive they think they are fighting for
the position of head Ayatollah in Iran. The stuff they represent
has no place in a truly democratic country.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
I understand the sentiment that Tancredo is a one trick pony, but he is my man. Immigration is my biggest concern, far more than Iraq. What's the point of stabilizing Iraq if we become a country that will some day lose all its sovereignty? Kudos to Tancredo for telling it as is: one of a handful of politicans I can respect today and has the cajones to say it.
Duncan Hunter would be my second choice. Ron Paul has a real loyal following, but I can't take this guy seriously when he says we should abolish Homeland Security: as often as I vote Libertarian, he is exactly the type of kool-aid drinking Libertarian that I avoid. To boot, listening to his responses last night, I just don't sense Paul is well versed on the issues, nor very intellectual.
My biggest fear is that McCain scored points last night and if McCain is the nominee in 08, I will again vote for the Libertarian/Constitution candidate. I'm not fooled by good old Johnny boy's splendidly rehearsed diatribes on immigration and his attempt to deviate from the questions posed. This guy is an embarrassment on the issue and has no problem compromising our national borders when in the context of his role in Arizona, never mind the currently drafted proposed national bill.
Of course Tancredo or Hunter won't win because...
1. This country is too apathetic, as well as full of moronic voters who are better versed on whom the American Idol candidates are than what their elected leaders stand for.
2. The mainstream media won't ever allow it. Even FOX News is getting worse by the day and is only a notch ahead of MSNBC as far as I'm concerned these days.

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 06-06-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
I understand the sentiment that Tancredo is a one trick pony, but he is my man. Immigration is my biggest concern, far more than Iraq. What's the point of stabilizing Iraq if we become a country that will some day lose all its sovereignty? Kudos to Tancredo for telling it as is: one of a handful of politicans I can respect today.
Duncan Hunter would be my second choice. Ron Paul has a real loyal following, but I can't take this guy seriously when he says we should abolish Homeland Security: as often as I vote Libertarian, he is exactly the type of koolaid drinking Libertarian that I avoid. To boot, listening to his responses last night, I just don't sense Paul is well versed on the issues, nor very intellectual.
My biggest fear is that McCain scored points last night and if McCain is the nominee in 08, I will again vote for the Libertarian/Constitution candidate. I'm not fooled by good old Johnny boy's splendidly rehearsed diatribes on immigration and his attempt to deviate from the questions posed. This guy is an embarrassment on the issue and has no problem compromising our national borders when in the context of his role in Arizona.
Of course Tancredo or Hunter won't win because...
1. This country is too apathetic, as well as full of moronic voters who are better versed on whom the American Idol candidates are than what their elected leaders stand for.
2. The mainstream media won't give allow it. Even FOX News is getting worse by the day and is only a notch ahead of MSNBC as far as I'm concerned these days.
Agreed stuntman, you gotta give tancredo credit he had the guts to get up and say he would stop all immigration! YIKES!! I love most libertarian principles, in this case it is not the message but the messenger!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Ron Paul emulates the Republican principles. The others offer what they think that the dumbed down wingnut base wants, which has nothing to do with the traditional platform of the party for the most part.

How sad it is that current thought would be so warped that comments like this are made:

Quote:
Bottom line is outside of probably Ron Paul cuckoo cuckoo.. and Tom Tancredo "one issue" They all would be better for this country than any of the democrats in the race!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Great point, JoeP...
There hasnt been real republicanism in decades.
What is being offered up by the 'republican' party has
nothing to do with the name. False Advertising.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I didn’t watch any of this last night however:

Ron Paul seems like the only one of them that knows anything about the constitution, and isn’t some neocon supporting the war. I don’t think he’s been bought off by any of the lobbyists yet either.

Did Guliani wear a dress this time?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM

451 posts, read 835,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
After watching alot of the debate last night I was struck by the stark differences between the democrat debate, I admit I watched more of the republican debate than the democrat but it doesnt take long to see there are definate differences between the two partys.I would have to say that If I had to choose right now, strictly on principle, I would vote for Duncan Hunter hands down, He has a strong uncompromised record as a true conservative, he is tough on immigration, and his best answer when the wolfman asked if republicans should be more like Arnold Shwartzeneggger he basically said not no but hell no! Bottom line is outside of probably Ron Paul cuckoo cuckoo.. and Tom Tancredo "one issue" They all would be better for this country than any of the democrats in the race!
Great post but I would be willing to bet Tom Tancredo and his one issue would be better for this country then any of the Dems in the race.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,523 times
Look, Ron Paul stands by alot of excellent principles and I think truly understands the role of he federal government alot better than most politicans. I'm no Giuliani fan for example, but I would be hard pressed to pull the lever for Paul if a gun was held to my head and those were the only two choices. Some libertarians- which is what Paul is so let's not pretend he is the one who emulates Republican principles and be ignorant about why he is partaking in these debates- are CLUELESS about national defense issues. Is anyone aware of the fact that up until 9/11, one of the official platforms of the national Libertarian Party was open borders? That's right folks: no security checkpoints, come and go as you please. Well thank heavens, that is evolving. But "evolving" is the key operational word here. Disbanding Homeland Security is an assinine suggestion, especially when no alternative is offered. Alot of Paul's platform I believe some times was molded after some Democrats like Hillary Clinton and Obama: lots of hot air and no meat. And Giuliani's response to Paul's take on the 9/11 attacks several weeks back was approrpriate and not "dumbed down": only to those who avow an idealist agenda: sort of that which prescribes to most Democrats' line of thinking.

And please don't tell me Ron Paul emulates Republican principles. I'll tear down that argument faster than the lightning struck down during last night's debate.

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 06-06-2007 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
The current batch of Republicans offer nothing but air regarding foreign policy. They don't really reject the ill-faited policies of this administration, only some of it's execution. They play to an ignorant base when it comes to defense instead of rational thought and policy. Look how they reponded to the gays in the military question last night.

Excuse me, but those are OUR tax dollars going to pay for overpriced translators while qualified ones are kicked out of the military. There is simply no excuse for this nonsense. This is national security and we need adults in charge not kids that giggle and are afraid of frivilous irrelevant things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections