Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM

152 posts, read 212,259 times

Advertisements

Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

Don't you love how Congress finds new ways to spend your tax dollars.

I wonder if Obama knows what kind of nightmare he will open if he does this.

1. You allow Gays in the military.
2. You allow them to get married.
3. You allow them to adopt kids.

The tax picture is as follows;
1. Soldiers draw pay for travel expenses, moving overseas expenses, medical benefits for self spouse and kids, college benefits.
2. Soldiers that are married get extra pay from the government for living expenses for housing.
3. Soldiers are allowed Government Quarters on post if the soldier is married. Does this mean a married male and female get bumped on the waiting list for government quarters because a gay couple was waiting first.
4. The medical cost for our military will go up exponentially to cover AIDS patients.

I can see the 1st Sgt of each unit having to do the following.
1. Make adjustment in barracks assignments to accommodate the Gays.
2. Issue condoms on a daily basis to prevent the spread of AIDS.

I can see our single soldiers saying if he can live in the barracks with his gay partner, why can't my girlfriend stay in the barracks with me.

When a married soldiers is transferred overseas, he has the option to take his wife and kids. The cost is huge to pay for travel per diem, meals, plane tickets, moving company to come in and move your household goods ( say from Colorado Springs to Mainz, Germany ).

Our courts are overloaded now, and we want to add more, Gay marriage. Which opens up Gay divorces.

A soldiers spouse is entitled to social security benefits and survivor benefits. Is a Gay couple going to be entitled to these benefits.

Can you see the stay at home Gay spouse drawing your tax dollars.

If you do not want it to happen contact your Congressman now.

Link:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,001 times
I've got no problem with this. A gay solider is just as effective as a straight soldier. They shouldn't have to hide who they are.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,671,547 times
ignorance at its finest!!!!

lets not allow equal treatment because it costs too much. thats a great position to take.

and the AIDS part... classic.

you are either very young and uneductaed, or very old and bitter. the times are changing and many many gays already serve. they just want to do it with out fear of persecution.

and your arguments are very similar to those about integrating the forces back in the day.

give it up. it will happen and the armed services will not implode. just watch.

oh, and stop disrespecting our honorable service men and women, gay or straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post

Don't you love how Congress finds new ways to spend your tax dollars.

I wonder if Obama knows what kind of nightmare he will open if he does this.

1. You allow Gays in the military.
2. You allow them to get married.
3. You allow them to adopt kids.

The tax picture is as follows;
1. Soldiers draw pay for travel expenses, moving overseas expenses, medical benefits for self spouse and kids, college benefits.
2. Soldiers that are married get extra pay from the government for living expenses for housing.
3. Soldiers are allowed Government Quarters on post if the soldier is married. Does this mean a married male and female get bumped on the waiting list for government quarters because a gay couple was waiting first.
4. The medical cost for our military will go up exponentially to cover AIDS patients.

I can see the 1st Sgt of each unit having to do the following.
1. Make adjustment in barracks assignments to accommodate the Gays.
2. Issue condoms on a daily basis to prevent the spread of AIDS.

I can see our single soldiers saying if he can live in the barracks with his gay partner, why can't my girlfriend stay in the barracks with me.

When a married soldiers is transferred overseas, he has the option to take his wife and kids. The cost is huge to pay for travel per diem, meals, plane tickets, moving company to come in and move your household goods ( say from Colorado Springs to Mainz, Germany ).

Our courts are overloaded now, and we want to add more, Gay marriage. Which opens up Gay divorces.

A soldiers spouse is entitled to social security benefits and survivor benefits. Is a Gay couple going to be entitled to these benefits.

Can you see the stay at home Gay spouse drawing your tax dollars.

If you do not want it to happen contact your Congressman now.

Link:

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
It'll take care of itself the first time some unsuspecting guy in Marine boot camp decides he wants to announce his same sex sexual preference. It'll end up being a "Don't tell or you'll find your head in a toilette policy." It was much better protection keeping it as a "Don't ask."

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,855,237 times
Obama is Clinton 2.0. Appointing the same people Clinton had.. Making the same mistakes... Pissing off the military...

Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

36 posts, read 20,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I've got no problem with this. A gay solider is just as effective as a straight soldier.
Not at giving an emergency blood transfusion.

It's bad for morale.

WTF is this nation coming to? Females in front-line combat is another example of stupidity made the norm. Is the 130 lb. woman going to be able to drag you to safety under fire?

I feel sorry for the grunts that have to endure this mental strain, on top of what they are asked to do on the battlefield dealing with the enemy.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,484 times
The military should not be used to conduct social experiments. The purpose of the military is to kill our enemies. It's pretty much the only federal program that's actually been successful.

Now some guy wants to come along, someone who's never served a day in uniform, and start making these changes? Well, sure, what could go wrong?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

659 posts, read 1,086,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOver View Post
Not at giving an emergency blood transfusion.

It's bad for morale.

WTF is this nation coming to? Females in front-line combat is another example of stupidity made the norm. Is the 130 lb. woman going to be able to drag you to safety under fire?

I feel sorry for the grunts that have to endure this mental strain, on top of what they are asked to do on the battlefield dealing with the enemy.
You serious?? There are female marines who are more of a marine than the male ones. There's a reason military personnel goes through training and there's a reason a woman (who is 130lbs btw) can lift 70 pounds of backpack and carry a fellow soilder at the same time. Not only do you sound like a phobe (not calling you one), but you also sound like a sexist (again, not calling you one), nice going bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
The military should not be used to conduct social experiments. The purpose of the military is to kill our enemies. It's pretty much the only federal program that's actually been successful.

Now some guy wants to come along, someone who's never served a day in uniform, and start making these changes? Well, sure, what could go wrong?
First, your dead wrong; the military is meant to PROTECT the citizens from harm, not to go out and kill people we deem as 'enemies'; get your definitions right.

And what is so bad about getting rid of the don't ask, don't tell? Will it boggle you if I tell you there are gays in the military this instant?? IMO A man that is willing to give his life to protect his country deserves honor and respect, REGARDLESS of his sexuality.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,978,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post

First, your dead wrong; the military is meant to PROTECT the citizens from harm, not to go out and kill people we deem as 'enemies'; get your definitions right.
You're both wrong. The oath clearly states that the soldier is a defender of the Constitution. Not an enemy killer and not a nation protector.

I, [name], do solemnly swear, (or affirm,) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You're both wrong. The oath clearly states that the soldier is a defender of the Constitution. Not an enemy killer and not a nation protector.

I, [name], do solemnly swear, (or affirm,) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
Which is fancy way of saying "kill our enemies".

Yeah, there are gays in the military now. Absolutely nothing is stopping them from serving. So why do they need to throw in our faces? There might be a gay guy showering next to me in the barracks, but I don't guess I can worry much about it if I don't know about it. But once it comes out into the open, how is it any different than letting a man male shower with the females? A gay guy may not actually want to hit on me in the shower, but I can just as easily say I wouldn't necessarily hit on the females were I to shower with them...but I still think those females might be a little uneasy at the idea of a male showering with them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections