Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Of ALL organizations, the military should be the firmest believers in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
But it is broke when critical MOS's are being discharged from the military for just being gay at a time where the military is still be stretched to its limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I've got no problem with this. A gay solider is just as effective as a straight soldier. They shouldn't have to hide who they are.
Agreed 100%. Bubba should have had the political guts to end it.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,713,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But it is broke when critical MOS's are being discharged from the military for just being gay at a time where the military is still be stretched to its limits.
They are not being discharged because they are gay. If you are gay and in the military, the military does not want to know about it. Nobody is peaking in barracks windows trying to catch someone being gay.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
The military should not be used to conduct social experiments. The purpose of the military is to kill our enemies. It's pretty much the only federal program that's actually been successful.

Now some guy wants to come along, someone who's never served a day in uniform, and start making these changes? Well, sure, what could go wrong?
I did serve and the military should do what they are told to do by the Commander who is the President of the United States of America.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,713,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I did serve and the military should do what they are told to do by the Commander who is the President of the United States of America.
And the Commander in Chief has a responsibility not to try and conduct social experiments in the military.

I imagine that if he wanted us all to wear paisley camouflage, we'd do it, eh? But just because the CinC says it, doesn't make it a good idea...

Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,674,370 times
co-ed shower stalls. why not.
you go in, do your business, you go out.

unless you like playing hte shower?

what do you do in the shower.

my buddies are in and out. no need to lurk in the showers. whether they are coed or single sexed.

whos the real pervert now?

you got some serious problems buddy. gays in the military are there for the same reasons everyone esle is. to think otherwise is pathetic and not respectful of those honorable individuals who serve with pride. is this really an issue?

Quote:
Ah, yes, the typical response. No one can be against the homosexual agenda, in general or in particular, unless they are terrified of a) being gang raped by gays or b) are secretly gay themselves.

Would you advocate forcing female service members to allow males to shower with them? Yes or no, and explain your rationale.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And the Commander in Chief has a responsibility not to try and conduct social experiments in the military.

I imagine that if he wanted us all to wear paisley camouflage, we'd do it, eh? But just because the CinC says it, doesn't make it a good idea...
The Commander in Chief has every right and responsibilty to order the military to reflect the population that pays for it. The military serves us, we do not serve the military. Do you think that, when the military was ordered to desegregate that the military and its commanders liked it? I doubt they did but they were ORDERED by the President (don't recall which one) to integrate the Negro into the military and they did so. That is called following orders and that is what you do in the military. You don't get to decide which orders you like and which orders you don't like.
Obama should order gays be admitted to the ranks on day one and the commanders damn well better make it happen. Follow orders.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,982,814 times
Quote:
The purpose of any nation's military, independent of any ideas or ideals that might be presented in our Constitution, is to kill the enemies of said nation. That is what they train for, regardless of any oath.
There is no independence of the Constitution. The soldiers kill the enemies to preserve the Constitution. Once we stray too far from that ideal, weird things happen. Soldiers see their superiors as the enemy and begin the fragging process, breakdown in the chain of command, fun stuff...

So, in a way you're right. They kill the enemy, whoever that may be. But they don't do it to protect the nation, regardless of what you think.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,485,939 times
Socially speaking I think gays should be allowed in the military, especially now we need the best people and just to not let a person join the military based on his sexuality is not giving us the best. However, personally speaking I can care less, all that means is I can stay home and party and march in gay pride parades while the str8 males go out and fight in wars.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
The purpose of any nation's military, independent of any ideas or ideals that might be presented in our Constitution, is to kill the enemies of said nation. That is what they train for, regardless of any oath.
As a former military member, a retired veteran, I completely agree with you.

That aside, allowing for open homosexuality in the military would create a lot of trouble, including breaking down the cohesiveness of a platoon or group of soldiers. Even having a woman as a member of a tight group is bad enough on the frontline, and it often creates conflicts among the soldiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections