Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I can't help but wonder what all the naysayers would be talking about if Obama had just gone to Hawaii on vacation from election to taking office and never opened his mouth about all the challenges facing the people of the U.S.
That's what they were hoping for, I think. Now they complain that he has the audacity to prepare. I sense a pattern, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
they provide services for a transition, but no one calls it the office of the president elect.
Further expanded upon in 2000:

"DETAILS TO THE TRANSITION TEAM The Presidential Transition Act of 1963, as amended, establishes the transition team as a Federal entity to provide for the orderly transfer of power between Administrations [3 USC 102 note]. In addition to providing that the transition team may hire its own staff, the Act provides for the detail of Federal employees to the transition team after the November election as follows:

• Any employee of any agency of any branch of the Government may be detailed to the office staff of either the President-elect or the Vice-President elect.
  • The employee must be detailed on a reimbursable basis, and the detail must be with the consent of the lending agency head."

Transition to a New Presidential Administration: General Information

In order to have 'office staff' one would have to have an 'office', no?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I think the "office of the President-Elect" sign and the flags and the blue backdrop (a la the Oval Office) is a bit over the top, as I did with the "seal" on his campaign plane, cleverly designed to look like the Presidential seal.

On the other hand....

People in the US are desperately looking for a leader--more so than any other period between election and inauguration. The economy. The war. The terrorist situation. And a gazillion other things. So despite how rinky-dink I think the stupid signs are, they convey a sense of comfort and security and even for this non-Obama supporter during the election, a *feeling* that someone is at the helm of our country and who cares enough to want to do the right thing. I'm just praying he does it!
You hit the nail on the head. This is EXACTLY RIGHT.

Ken

Old 11-25-2008, 04:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's what they were hoping for, I think. Now they complain that he has the audacity to prepare. I sense a pattern, do you?
Yup.

Ken

Old 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I think the "office of the President-Elect" sign and the flags and the blue backdrop (a la the Oval Office) is a bit over the top, as I did with the "seal" on his campaign plane, cleverly designed to look like the Presidential seal.

On the other hand....

People in the US are desperately looking for a leader--more so than any other period between election and inauguration. The economy. The war. The terrorist situation. And a gazillion other things. So despite how rinky-dink I think the stupid signs are, they convey a sense of comfort and security and even for this non-Obama supporter during the election, a *feeling* that someone is at the helm of our country and who cares enough to want to do the right thing. I'm just praying he does it!
He will be leader of the free world in two months. I'm glad he's embracing the task at hand and not shying away. He could just go away and let George handle it but its George, the current POTUS, who's on "leave".

Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
President-elect Barack Obama is looking very presidential these days. When he makes an announcement, he is ringed by American flags and stands behind a lectern that has a very presidential-looking placard announcing "The Office of the President-Elect."

Despite Bells and Whistles, 'Office of President-Elect' Holds No Authority - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker
Certainly more authority than he had a year ago, even a month ago.

I'd say that the right to ultimate authority is looking pretty good for Obama with each passing day.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:56 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
they provide services for a transition, but no one calls it the office of the president elect.

lol..."Obama has employed over 500 staffers to assist in his transition operations -- working from a nondescript office building in downtown Washington and from locations in his hometown of Chicago."

I'd say 500 staffers and the folks at Fox call it the Office of the President-elect....at the very least.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
what exactly are this officers powers? the power to assemble a team and immediately begin wasting tax dollars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Further expanded upon in 2000:

"DETAILS TO THE TRANSITION TEAM The Presidential Transition Act of 1963, as amended, establishes the transition team as a Federal entity to provide for the orderly transfer of power between Administrations [3 USC 102 note]. In addition to providing that the transition team may hire its own staff, the Act provides for the detail of Federal employees to the transition team after the November election as follows:

• Any employee of any agency of any branch of the Government may be detailed to the office staff of either the President-elect or the Vice-President elect.
  • The employee must be detailed on a reimbursable basis, and the detail must be with the consent of the lending agency head."

Transition to a New Presidential Administration: General Information

In order to have 'office staff' one would have to have an 'office', no?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
I must say, I am tired of the daily Obama press conferences and the Office of the President-Elect crap. He can do whatever he wishes during this period of transition, but the way in which he is presenting himself (the stage, seal, flags, etc.) and the stumbling ah-hhh-hhh-hhh and ummm-mmm-mm's are wearing a little thin already. It is all very Saturday Night Live-ish.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Or working out in his garage. Plenty of time to play before having to buckle down and act interested in January!
Now those two highlighted blurbs are very true, delu, one of your best. Where does he keep the cues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections