Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,598,254 times

Advertisements

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...c_helped_obama

Obama took North Carolina, the first Democrat do to so in more than three decades by an unofficial margin of 13,692 votes over John McCain.

Nearly 92,000 new voters registered during the early voting period, which opened after the registration deadline for Election Day voting had passed. And those voters, according to an Associated Press review of registration and exit poll data, were a huge well of support for the Illinois senator.

Without the new law in North Carolina that allows people to register and vote on the same day, McCain would have won North Carolina considering how close it was in the Tarheel State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,066,648 times
Maybe and maybe not... it would depend on what strategy the Obama campaign for NC deployed to get the vote out...
From what we have seen in other swing states they were pretty effective at altering strategies to get out the vote...

Last edited by minibrings; 11-13-2008 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 03:48 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,607,104 times
And the problem with a greater percentage of the population voting is exactly what?

Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,885,994 times
perhaps the quality of the people. that being said, I assume you all vote for the straight democrat ticket. you probably didn't notice this, but there were lots of people running unopposed for judicial positions in this state. I am also quite embarrassed at the election of bev purdue. munger has a phd in economics from washington university in st. louis. he is also an economics professor at UNC. how in the hell do we elect freaking bev purdue over him? what an embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And the problem with a greater percentage of the population voting is exactly what?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,657,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
perhaps the quality of the people. that being said, I assume you all vote for the straight democrat ticket. you probably didn't notice this, but there were lots of people running unopposed for judicial positions in this state. I am also quite embarrassed at the election of bev purdue. munger has a phd in economics from washington university in st. louis. he is also an economics professor at UNC. how in the hell do we elect freaking bev purdue over him? what an embarrassment.
Agreed. I am pleased to say I did vote for Munger as well as Bob Barr. But I did not vote straight ticket. What sickens me the most is the way these elections are run. A candidate like Munger who is more than qualified gets absolutely no press while two political sycophants get all the attention. The same applied to the presidential race and all other races for political positions across the nation. Every party deserves the attention that is given to the Democrat and Republican parties. I am sick of hearing the words bi-partisan system. Bi-partisan is just another way of saying "no real choices"

Has anyone else noticed that these two parties operate as if they have completely different views on how to run this nation. One side is for gun control, the other is not. One side wants to help the middle class, the other does not. So say we get a Republican president. He's very liberal with his gun policies but he loves to tax the lower classes. Then the next term we get a Democrat. He is all about the lower class but hates guns. So the Republican raises taxes and leaves gun laws as they are. Then the Democrat comes in and takes away gun rights but never really remedies the tax problems. Slowly but surely, we lose on both ends. Neither side ever comes through on their promises and they always leave us just a little worse for wear. And everytime we are presented with the same old bi-partisan choices.

It's time we wake up folks, and realize they are systematically destroying our freedom one election at a time. The whole idea behind this election was to vote for change. But the majority voted for the same old thing. Another Democrat or Republican. Will we ever really embrace real change or are the majority of Americans just really afraid of something new. So many people I have talked to voted for McCain because they were afraid of what Obama might do. They told me "atleast with McCain we know what we are getting" Then on the other side many voted for Obama because of his promise to bring change. But change without any real explanation could mean anything. I am afraid for our nation because we refuse to recognize the fact that we have the power and a vote for a party other than Democrat or Republican is not a wasted vote. It is a vote for a real chance at change. We could once again be the free nation our forefathers wanted us to be. We just have to break out of this cycle of partisanship. You are not a Democrat or a Republican. You are an American.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM

135 posts, read 224,694 times
Although I've never taken the time to verify it, I've heard multiple times that Washington was quoted saying the formation of political parties will destroy the country. Whether it's a true quote or not, it's so true. There's no reason we couldn't just have people running, instead of (insert name) (insert party). Of course those geniuses that vote the party regardless of what nut runs would be in a jam, but those are the same people that also shouldn't be voting in the first place (not informing yourself and crtitically thinking about candidates prior to voting should be offense enough to remove your right to vote - keep in mind this does not take into account who you vote for, just for God's sake look at them and think about it before you pick one).

Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
Interesting. Did you vote for Obama b/c he has more education that John McCain?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,607,104 times
Quote:
You know what they say about people that assume don't ya?

Nope, no straight party ticket here, and I believe that should be removed from the ballot. (Two states actually did that this year, and some have never had a straight party choice).

Nope I voted for the person, and if I didn't really care about the race, or there was absolutely no valid choice I didn't vote for the office. The Senate race of Dole/Hagen is in that category, governor was damn close. You're right about Purdue, but McCharlotte would have us all paying for light rail in Charlotte.

Now did you vote straight repub?

And aren't we a bit bigoted about the 'class' of people that should be allowed to vote? But there is only one class that counts in the current republican mind isn't there?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 PM

you think I voted for obama? give me a break. nope, not mccain either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting. Did you vote for Obama b/c he has more education that John McCain?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 PM

strait republican? I wrote in a presidential candidate, voted for all libertarians on the ballot, and voted for the rest of republicans. I didn't know about some of the people, but I wouldn't vote for a democrat. I don't know anything about the republican who ran against hagen except for what I saw during the debates, where munger put them both to shame. I didn't say anything about the class of someone being "allowed" to vote. I questioned the quality of some of the new voters, but didn't offer it as an absolute measure. we know how those democrats look out for the poor and the middle class. yup, those rich politicians we call the democrats. they care about everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You know what they say about people that assume don't ya?

Nope, no straight party ticket here, and I believe that should be removed from the ballot. (Two states actually did that this year, and some have never had a straight party choice).

Nope I voted for the person, and if I didn't really care about the race, or there was absolutely no valid choice I didn't vote for the office. The Senate race of Dole/Hagen is in that category, governor was damn close. You're right about Purdue, but McCharlotte would have us all paying for light rail in Charlotte.

Now did you vote straight repub?

And aren't we a bit bigoted about the 'class' of people that should be allowed to vote? But there is only one class that counts in the current republican mind isn't there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections