Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,742,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
This post represents why our country is going down the tubes.
Why, because people have empathy and compassion? If you think that those qualities are detrimental to our country, that certainly goes a long way towards explaining why we are where we are now.

I won't presume that you have not experienced something close to what Sen. Obama described, however, I have, and I will tell you that life becomes a very precious thing when you watch someone close to you waste away from a debilitating condition.
I applaud Sen. Obama for seizing the day.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,427,577 times
he slices, he dices, he cuts the constitution 10 different ways.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,427,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
The sort of racial hatred Hitler inspired is what we've been seeing at the McCain & Palin rallies. Obama is trying to bring the US together, not tear it apart w/ comments like I like visiting the REAL America", "He's not 'one of us' ", which were made by the Republican ticket.
um.... do a quick search on youtube for the Obama youth brigade.... that alone should be scary enough.

7,151 posts, read 12,702,380 times
I watched it, and I thought the people's stories fairly represented what's going on with real people in our country. I tried to watch with an open mind.

I also asked myself if my family's economics have improved or worsened during the last eight years under the Republican's watch. In all honesty, our personal financial situation has worsened..maybe like some of you, it's gotten a lot worse in the last few months. Groceries, utilities, health insurance--all shooting up way more than wages...and we're living very simply and eating a lot of beans...

So given, not so much the content of the commercial, but given more the economic reality, I figure I'll give Obama a fair chance to see if he can improve what's happening for so many of us in the middle and the lower tier of earnings...

If, after 4 or 8 years, we're worse off under Obama, then I'll vote the other way.

I want what's best for our country and for my neighbors--and for my family. It's scary what's been happening...and sure, I don't believe all the campaign promises made by either side--both sides have promised the moon-- but seems to me, it is most definitely past time for a change. And it's going to be a tough slog ahead--I sure don't expect a miracle.

Just hope we can pull together more and heal some of our differences.

543 posts, read 1,457,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I am still trembling with joy and have tears in my eyes. I accidently drank some of the Obama kool-aid 3 hours ago. How long does it take for this stuff to wear off so I can get back to reality.
Apparently it takes too long...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,342,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I am still trembling with joy and have tears in my eyes. I accidently drank some of the Obama kool-aid 3 hours ago. How long does it take for this stuff to wear off so I can get back to reality.
Prescription: Listen to something Obama said that was not polished, produced, and paid for, such as:
* a recording of him talking to his $$$ buddies about rural Pennsylvanian's clinging to guns and religion.
* a recording of his thoughts about the Supreme Court and the part they should play in wealth redistribution.
* a video of Barack explaining to an average citizen that he randomly approached, how he doesn't want to punish his success, he just thinks that it is best for everybody to spread the wealth around.

Take two of these and call me in the morning.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,161,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
um.... do a quick search on youtube for the Obama youth brigade.... that alone should be scary enough.
Ummm...you mean that Youtube w/ the black boys marching,talking about what careers they are going to aspire to,architect,doctor,lawyer,etc., after being inspired by Obama? Funny,at the Obama rally in Kansas City,I saw SO many young people ,of all races,really excited about the prospect of being able to afford college. I am one of those people who am FOR higher education,unlike some I have seen on here.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 PM

543 posts, read 1,457,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I am from the NYC area and still live here . I have no idea what you mean by he "reminds me of 9/11". In fact I am sick of the right using it as political tool.
What political tool? If 9/11 affected her (as it still does me), and she still thinks about it why can't she express that? She thinks it's important, which I do to. It's OK to cry and tremble about every utterance that Obama expresses. But someone mentions 9/11 and the libs go nuts.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,210,040 times
Quote:
The sort of racial hatred Hitler inspired is what we've been seeing at the McCain & Palin rallies. Obama is trying to bring the US together, not tear it apart w/ comments like I like visiting the REAL America", "He's not 'one of us' ", which were made by the Republican ticket.
I know. Keep a lookout, they dont intend to calm down.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,301,642 times
Quote:
Ummm...you mean that Youtube w/ the black boys marching,talking about what careers they are going to aspire to,architect,doctor,lawyer,etc., after being inspired by Obama? Funny,at the Obama rally in Kansas City,I saw SO many young people ,of all races,really excited about the prospect of being able to afford college. I am one of those people who am FOR higher education,unlike some I have seen on here.
I have news for you; that $4000 a year Obama is offering in exchange for community service won't make a dent in college. I have three kids in college and they all work part time and all of them make more than $4000 a year. The rest is paid with a combination of money from us (their parents) and student loans. No way they could work part time AND do community service AND go to school.

The cost of attendance at the University of Kansas runs about $19,000 a year. That's in-state, public university. I'd hate to see the cost of out of state/private/Ivy League school.

Those kids you saw can go to school NOW - it's called student loans. The interest is low. Anyone who wants to go to college can go. And low income kids have it even better because they are eligible for grants that don't have to be paid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections