Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,838,355 times

Advertisements

BTW what are the big dreams of the next generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,083,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
BTW what are the big dreams of the next generation?
Do you have children? I have teens in High School for which they are looking forward to a prosperous future and meaningful/fulfilling jobs in business and technology. Many of my college students have big dreams of entrepreneurship and most of them are Hispanic, Black and Asian.

If Obama has a dream of reaching the TOP position in the United States while being in office in only a few short years, then these students should be allowed to have a dream where they are able to reach the top of their goals in a few short years because they deserve it and worked hard for it. Under Obama's plan, if my child's goal is to be a millionaire, it may take him 20 years to become one because almost half of the income is going to go somewhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owA2geM8OGg

And yet, Obama , a JUNIOR (not a senior) US Senator beginning in 2004 is on his way to become the President of the United States, the most powerful leader in the world.

While the people who are trying to reach their American Dream have been stunted by him.

This is SO SELFISH of OBAMA to do this to the people who have dreams and have toiled hard to get to their dreams.

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-14-2008 at 01:43 AM..

Old 10-14-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
As a young person (29) who was brought to your city to work in a high tech environment. I have to ask why would I vote for a guy who doesn't use "the google" or "the email?"

Lets discuss how a man who doesn't understand "old" technology would advance "new" technology? What jobs would McCain bring to america? What is the shelf life of these jobs? What would McCain do to encourage education that would spur the next generation of jobs?

Technology
John McCain has a broad and cohesive vision for the future of American innovation. His policies will provide broad pools of capital, low taxes and incentives for research in America, a commitment to a skilled and educated workforce, and a dedication to opening markets around the globe. He’s committed to streamlining burdensome regulations and effectively protecting American intellectual property in the United States and around the globe.

Read his Technology policies at --- JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/cbcd3a48-4b0e-4864-8be1-d04561c132ea.htm - broken link)

Education
spacer Excellence, choice, and competition in American education. John McCain believes American education must be worthy of the promise we make to our children and ourselves. He understands that we are a nation committed to equal opportunity, and there is no equal opportunity without equal access to excellent education.

Read his Education policies at--- JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ce50b5-daa8-4795-b92d-92bd0d985bca.htm - broken link)

I used to work in the IT. I worked with a lot of managers/executives who didn't have hands-on experience with the technology that they are seeking yet they are able to plan the biggest technology change in the educational institution. You don't have to have hands-on experience on everything to make something work as an executive. These managers visited several institutions that implemented this technology, interviewed several people, watched demos and LIVE implementations of the technology, reviewed studies and MADE BIG DECISIONS and PLANS based on what they saw was the most successful implementation that fit their business needs. Then they hire/get their IT manager/staff to make it happen for them.

And these executives never had to touch the technology. Somebody did it for them.

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-14-2008 at 01:49 AM..

Old 10-14-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Do you have children? I have teens in High School for which they are looking forward to a prosperous future and meaningful/fulfilling jobs in business and technology. Many of my college students have big dreams of entrepreneurship and most of them are Hispanic, Black and Asian.
No I don't have children. I am planning children within the next couple of years when I get my career on the right track. I am very pragmatic with my romances knowing that I would rather have planned children when I am ready.

Since you bring it up though, allow me to question why I don't believe McCain would be good for American competitiveness. I am writing this from La Jolla (as a renter in an upside down condo) who works in high tech with an advanced degree. I moved here from a lower class class Irish neighborhood in the southside of Chicago. As beautiful as this city is I would rather live back home, near my family and girlfriend. I came here because the city was progressive enough to provide the infrastructure that would attract high tech jobs. They aren't doing so well anymore.

We aren't fairing to well since the average income/home prices over the last few years are way off reality. Who makes enough out of college to afford a comfortable life in San Diego? What neighborhoods can they live in and raise a family in where they own property?

This is what the next generation needs to worry about. Most secure jobs exist in cities with astonishing costs of living and less the astonishing salaries. Most college grads will have several jobs during their lifetimes, most will require them to move. I didn't want to leave Chicago, I had to because I am currently involved in a globally competitive market that the major corporations have produced . I enjoy the competition, but what does McCain provide in terms of people who would rather not be competing with the rest of the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
If Obama has a dream of reaching the TOP position in the United States while being in office in only a few short years, then these students should be allowed to have a dream where they are able to reach the top of their goals in a few short years because they deserve it and worked hard for it. Under Obama's plan, if my child's goal is to be a millionaire, it may take him 20 years to become one because almost half of their income are going to go somewhere else.

And yet, Obama , a JUNIOR (not a senior) US Senator beginning in 2004 is on his way to become the President of the United States, the most powerful leader in the world.

While the people who are trying to reach their American Dream have been stunted by him.

This is SOOOOOO SELFISH of OBAMA to do this to the people who have dreams and have toiled hard to get to their dreams.
Obama hasn't even taken office and you are already putting the blame on him. After the current crisis settles we might be looking at devaluation of the dollar to the point were a million dollars is the current thousand dollars. Neither of the two major party candidates are capable of getting out of this, especially after the Fed Chairmen has been named the new economic czar.

What in McCains plan, besides tax cuts to corporations, will provide for the new college grads?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,971,798 times
Quote:
That is absolutely ridiculous. I've been through McCain's plans and nothing seemed to jump out that would create jobs (to be fair neither would Obama's). Giving tax cuts to people who already have the money to hire "creative" accountants, or move money offshore, does not equal jobs. Please give me any empirical evidence that McCain would create jobs.

Truth be told young folks (Including myself) is that college is the new highschool. If you go to college and don't learn a skill that people who run businesses want then you will not get a job with good pay or any security. There isn't much that any president could (or should) do to change the situation. Trickle down taxcuts do not create jobs.

Free markets do not exist.

if you look at the chart done yesterday by one of your own obama supporters it showed that the united states economy fared best under tax cutting democrats because unemployment dropped. go figure!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if you look at the chart done yesterday by one of your own obama supporters it showed that the united states economy fared best under tax cutting democrats because unemployment dropped. go figure!
Trust me I understand numbers. Test me if you please.

There is no figuring. Trickle-down economics are more a social phenom then an economic reality. Tax cuts on the middle-class are also a fairy tale. The problem is the fundamental monetary system. Regardless of whose in charge the same people benefit.

And please further explain your response. Is the chart from that person wrong? Why?

Are unemployment figures from the gov correct? Are inflation figures correct? Are market values not obviously adjusted to minimize the failures of the system?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I enjoy the competition, but what does McCain provide in terms of people who would rather not be competing with the rest of the world?

What in McCains plan, besides tax cuts to corporations, will provide for the new college grads?

There are several jobs that do not require statewide or worldwide travel. If you are employed by a big company, the company actually places you in projects within the San Diego location so you never have to move. By creating more jobs as McCain is stating, one would never have to move because many jobs are available to choose from. Right now, the problem is there is a limited amount of jobs available and the reason they don't pay high is because there are more people than jobs.

Again, McCain said he has a comprehensive economic plan that will create millions of good American jobs----

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Issues/JobsforAmerica/trade.htm - broken link)

Competitive American Workers
........ We must prepare the next generation of workers by making American education worthy of the promise we make to our children and ourselves. We must be a nation committed to competitiveness and opportunity. ......

Tufts Daily - Obama vs. McCain: The college issues
McCAIN: An August press release quoted McCain on his plans to create jobs in America, emphasizing his traditional “trickle-down” stance. “[We] need an economic surge to keep jobs here at home and create new ones,” McCain said. “We need to reduce the tax burden on businesses that choose to make their home in the United States of America.”
Sophomore and Tufts Republicans President Michael Hawley said he trusts that such a plan will enhance his job prospects. “We’re all going to be going out into the job market,” he said. “I think McCain’s plans of generally cutting taxes wherever he can would be far more beneficial to me and most of the rest of the people in this country.”

I support this because I was in the Reagan era and out of college, there were a LOT of job opportunities for college grads because there were more jobs than people qualified to do the jobs. As a college grad, I was able to enter the market with a high salary because the companies were competitive. They had positions available, however not a lot of people were available to fill those positions. Therefore they had to increase the salary so that the company can attract those qualified people who are available.

John McCain - Where John McCain Stands on the Issues
Supports a reduction of government regulation of the private sector in order to encourage investment and economic expansion.

Campaign U.: McCain Focuses on Colleges' Economic Role; Platform Differs on Stem Cells, Immigration - Chronicle.com

It's your vote '08: McCain on energy - Campus (http://media.www.siude.com/media/storage/paper1096/news/2008/10/07/Campus/Its-Your.Vote.08.Mccain.On.Energy-3473198.shtml - broken link)

McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, has promised a variety of plans that would create new jobs in energy fields.

--------------
The one thing I noticed about McCain is that he is more of a DOER than a TALKER. When he sees real issues, he gets right into it and solves it. He does not spend months of cover-up which leads to delays. And if there are any issues with his administration, he will let that out in the open, solve it and get it over with so he can move on.

I can only stand so many promises from a person, but to me, if there are issues, then that person better deliver and not cover-up. I don't want to waste my time digging for information because the person refuses to disclose. Just let it all out, solve it and move on. This is what I like about the McCain/Palin campaign. There are issues, let it out in the open, punish those who do wrong, then move on.

Last edited by ShoppingCartLaw; 10-14-2008 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections