Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What best describes your feelings about the hate and ignorance seen at the McCain/Palin rallies
I'm voting for McCain/Palin and I agree with the people at the rallies. 24 16.00%
I'm a McCain/Palin supporter but I am embarassed and disgusted with what is going on. 5 3.33%
I'm an Obama/Biden supporter and am glad this is happening because it helps Obama. 12 8.00%
I'm an Obama/Biden supporter and I am embarassed and disgusted by this and feel bad for the non-radical Republicans. 109 72.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
ARLINGTON, VA -- U.S. Senator John McCain today issued the following statement:

"Congressman John Lewis' comments represent a character attack against Governor Sarah Palin and me that is shocking and beyond the pale. The notion that legitimate criticism of Senator Obama's record and positions could be compared to Governor George Wallace, his segregationist policies and the violence he provoked is unacceptable and has no place in this campaign. I am saddened that John Lewis, a man I've always admired, would make such a brazen and baseless attack on my character and the character of the thousands of hardworking Americans who come to our events to cheer for the kind of reform that will put America on the right track.

"I call on Senator Obama to immediately and personally repudiate these outrageous and divisive comments that are so clearly designed to shut down debate 24 days before the election. Our country must return to the important debate about the path forward for America
Ah righteous indignation.

Too bad it just doesn't pass the smell test coming from the former John McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Part of the problem with some of these enraged people is the media, who they feel, and rightly so, is trying to promote, protect and shield Obama from his dubious past and connections.

So having a few out-of-line people can't be attributed to the McCain campaign. Mac and Palin have done nothing to be accused of hatemongering or racism.

But we all knew this race card would be played by the obama campaign and the media. They did the same to Hillary and Bill and succeeded. The media and the democrat party are in league in trying to prevent the attacks on obama's character, judgement and past.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:52 PM

808 posts, read 1,150,127 times
Quote:
Part of the problem with some of these enraged people is the media, who they feel, and rightly so, is trying to promote, protect and shield Obama from his dubious past and connections.

So having a few out-of-line people can't be attributed to the McCain campaign. Mac and Palin have done nothing to be accused of hatemongering or racism.

But we all knew this race card would be played by the obama campaign and the media. They did the same to Hillary and Bill and succeeded. The media and the democrat party are in league in trying to prevent the attacks on obama's character, judgement and past.
I don't think it's really a lot to do with race to be honest. I think it is more about religion, falsehoods and fear mongering. The Republicans have used the anger and pain the nation felt after 9/11 for political gain for the last 7 years. Using Obama's middle name to try to subliminally associate him with Saddam Hussein and lead people to believe he is a muslim is something the McCain campaign IS doing on a daily basis. That is why that elderly woman assumed Obama was an Arab and others think he is a muslim. Harping on Ayers and saying Obama "pals around with terrorists" feeds even more into those fears. It is incredibly irresponsible.

Barak Obama was raised by his white Christian grandparents. He has always been a Christian. He's no more of a muslim than John McCain is. He was named after his father. He saw his father twice. His father did not raise him.

Because of the anger over 9/11 and the mistrust and sometimes outright hatred of muslims the McCain campaign INTENDED to exploit that anger and fear to win the presidency. What they didn't plan on was for it to get so ugly and so out of control that it offended and disgusted the swing voters and even many republicans.

A person would have to be blind not to see what is going on. Some are calling it "racism" because they aren't really sure what else to call it. The proper name for it is exploitation of anger, pain and fear of Americans who love their country by using dirty tactics to lead those people into directing that rage, anger, pain, hatred and fear towards Barak Obama. That's why it's so dangerous. Someone is going to lose it and end up cracking from having those feelings exploited like this and do something stupid and end up doing life in prison while their kids are left without a Daddy.

What is really disturbing to me is that you guys that are repeating this same garbage on here are being used and exploited too. And information about Palin is coming out to show that she will stick it to innocent citizens to further her own personal agenda...talk about severe governmental abuse. Normally if any other politician did this the far right would be in a stir...completely outraged by it. She and her husband want Alaska to secede from the rest of the US. Anytime any other state or group talks like that you'd be saying they hate America and are unpatriotic. Todd Palin was a MEMBER of this radical political group from 1995 until 2002.

Are you honestly THAT afraid of one man that you would turn your back on your own beliefs and standards and allow yourself to be exploited in such a way?

I don't care who everyone else votes for, I honestly don't. What gets me is that anyone would defend someone that keeps proving to be doing so many of the things conservatives despise. Do you not see it or are you just to darn stubborn to admit it? What will the breaking point be before you've just had enough of it? I honestly want to know.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,479,251 times
When somebody yelled "kill him" McCain's camp should have immediately stopped the rally and allowed the secret service to apprehend the individual who blurted this out. By not doing so, he condoned this behavior, which was UnAmerican and treasonous. Shame on him, and shame on anybody who advocates the murder of another human being, much less the murder of one of his own countrymen.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,327,618 times
Thank you. It's about time someone had the guts to come out and say this. you're right, the idiot should have been arrested. and why didn't they, the McCain camp was trying to fuel the fire. simple. I admire your guts. keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
When somebody yelled "kill him" McCain's camp should have immediately stopped the rally and allowed the secret service to apprehend the individual who blurted this out. By not doing so, he condoned this behavior, which was UnAmerican and treasonous. Shame on him, and shame on anybody who advocates the murder of another human being, much less the murder of one of his own countrymen.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
By not doing so, he condoned this behavior, which was UnAmerican and treasonous.
I guess one could the same for Obama as he sat in that church for 20 years listening to the hate. By not taking action and doing something, he was condoning the hate speech. Same principal applies.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,479,251 times
Quote:
I guess one could the same for Obama as he sat in that church for 20 years listening to the hate. By not taking action and doing something, he was condoning the hate speech. Same principal applies.

I've seen the stupid videos, and they say nothing of the sort. In fact he's paraphrasing somebody else at one point.

I'm guessing you also advocate the murder of an American?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 AM

433 posts, read 954,337 times
Why I do not see any afro-american voting for McCain,
Are Afro-American racists?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,923,633 times
ewww.. boo for republicans...

Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,708,745 times
I could'nt believe the crowd at Palins rally "kill him kill him " some of the people shouted. Is this what american politics has come to.
At McCains rally a woman said she would'nt vote for Obama because was an arab, McCain said that he was'nt and that he was a decent american.
I have watched the lead up to the election with interest, and have been shocked by the hatred at some of the rallies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections