Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times

Advertisements

NewtoCA -

You are dreamin' if you think the Clintons will back McCain.
McCain IS well-liked (by MANY Democratic politicians), but this is an election and the Clintons will back their party - especially if they want a political future.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
so does that mean many republicans are selfish idiots?
Well said

Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,838,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
NewtoCA -

McCain IS well-liked (by MANY Democratic politicians), but this is an election and the Clintons will back their party - especially if they want a political future.

Ken
i dont know about that, so that one independent democrat guys political career is done? i forget his name but he was at the republican convention.

i thought he did it(endorsed mccain) because he wasnt picked as VP but who knows.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,242,015 times
It's obvious that the Clintons are not that crazy about Obama, they have endorsed him but only because they want to support their party. Deep down I wouldn't be surprised if either Bill or Hillary vote for McCain, I wouldn't blame them either.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,838,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Remember, it is rumored that McCain actually spoke with Clinton about being his running mate. It is rumored she gave it a lot of thought, but then declined based on her partys overall best interest. Hillary and McCain are not as far apart politically as most people think. Hillary is rather conservative for a 2008 democrat.
well any political party can be conservative and liberal. democrats were once conservative pre 60's

Old 09-26-2008, 01:21 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Default Hillary and McCain work well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Remember, it is rumored that McCain actually spoke with Clinton about being his running mate. It is rumored she gave it a lot of thought, but then declined based on her partys overall best interest. Hillary and McCain are not as far apart politically as most people think. Hillary is rather conservative for a 2008 democrat.
And McCain is rather Liberal for a 2008 Republican. Hillary and McCain work well together.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,411,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Introducing John McCain at the Clinton Global Initiative in Manhattan, Bill Clinton doesn't mention that he's endorsed another candidate.

"When most people in his party were thinking that global warming was overstated and maybe even a myth designed to help people like me who love solar and wind get into it, he decided to look into it," Clinton said, recalling McCain's and Hillary Clinton's trips to the Arctic.

“The point I want to make is there aren’t any votes on this in Arizona,” Clinton said. “He just wanted to know. That’s what we want from everybody. John McCain wants to know and I am profoundly grateful to him for coming here today.”

Ben Smith's Blog: Bill's welcome - Politico.com
Yes, the pity support is starting to come in for McCain as he flames out. In a few weeks, he will be a has-been. Good to see.

Poor old fellow.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i dont know about that, so that one independent democrat guys political career is done? i forget his name but he was at the republican convention.

i thought he did it(endorsed mccain) because he wasnt picked as VP but who knows.
Yup.
Much as I personally like and respect Lieberman, his career is over - unless McCain wins and appoints him to a cabinet position or some such.

He will certainly NOT be re-elected Senator.

Ken

Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
NewtoCA -

Ken
Didn't say they would back McCain. However, they can campaign in a way that leaves them rather neutral in the election.

Based upon actions such as this, and Bill's lack of specific support for Obama as highlighted by Chris Rock when both were on the David Letterman Show, can give some "on the fence" Clinton supporters the sense that switching to McCain isn't really that far fetched.

It is all about the former supporters of Hillary, and things such as this interaction between Bill Clinton and John McCain are fairly significant.

Here is another example of a former high profile Hillary supporter who switched to McCain, adding to the "signals" that this is really quite acceptable:

As Barack Obama and John McCain battle for the Hispanic vote, a leading Latino backer of Hillary Clinton is crossing party lines to support the Republican presidential nominee.

In an interview Thursday, Miguel D. Lausell, a Puerto Rican businessman and longtime Democratic activist and fund-raiser, came out for Sen. McCain. While he said he doesn't agree with all the policy positions of the Republican candidate and his running mate, Sarah Palin, Mr. Lausell added: "I find McCain to be a sound person and a man with a track record. I know where he is coming from." Mr. Lausell had been a major backer of Bill Clinton and served as a senior political adviser to Sen. Clinton's unsuccessful bid this year for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Mr. Lausell said that as a "lifelong Democrat," this is the first time he has supported a Republican presidential candidate. A Harvard Law School graduate, Mr. Lausell's business career has included a stint as chief executive of the Puerto Rico Telephone Co. and chairman of PonceBank, a large Puerto Rican financial institution. Mr. Lausell once had a position with the Democratic National Committee and served on a national finance board for Al Gore's unsuccessful 2000 presidential run. In 2004, he helped start a nonprofit aimed at boosting Latino turnout for Democrats.

McCain Wins Endorsement of Democrat - WSJ.com

Adding this to what Bill Clinton stated, and the door for former Hillary supporters to switch to McCain opens wider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections