Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM

8,288 posts, read 13,620,609 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research last night and this mirrors the 2004 election were Kerry did better than 50% among women voters in the election so it's not surprising. Dems concentrate on issues that women are concerned about such as healthcare & education for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 AM

14,268 posts, read 19,033,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, our friend didn't question the results then
That's the way Republicans argue their point. They have short memories! Do you notice that McCain is borrowing words from Obama that he criticized not long ago? I mean when someone known as "Mr. Deregulator" in Congress can preach about enforcing stricter regulations with a straight face, I wonder what else he is lying about?

Anyway, to stick to the topic, I don't trust polls, but as a White woman, I can't imagine anyone voting for McCain who cares about women's rights. He chose Palin to show he's a maverick and a reformer, but both of their records demonstrate just the opposite to me. I think the initial fascination with Palin is beginning to wear off. Although a large percentage of people will vote for a personality, too many people care about their futures and the futures of their children. Hillary Clinton would have been my choice, but the McCain/Palin ticket has little, if anything, to offer her supporters. I have read posts on this board from Clinton supporters who are now voting for McCain and I'm baffled. To me, it's like harpooning a whale in memory of Jacques Cousteau.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM

148 posts, read 237,958 times
So - all of that pandering on The View didn't help, either, eh?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM

454 posts, read 751,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Same poll had McCain up by 2% a week and a half ago. The current trend is definitely in Obama's direction.

I don't believe in polls, you can check all my posts.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:52 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,109,006 times
Quote:
It's called 'sampling' to replicate the actual universe. The following is several months old, but it indicates the trend of current registrations. The point is that there ARE more registered democrats than republicans, so to not sample for that would be totally flawed methodology.
Poll: GOP brand making comeback - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com

Quote:
A new poll by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press reports that independent voters have an equally favorable opinion of both parties, 50 to 49 percent, a one-point edge for the GOP. That compares to an 18-point Democratic advantage as recently as August, a wide gap that had generally held for more than a year.
Your Pew link is old. Times have changed.

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/party_affiliation/number_of_democrats_in_us_declines_in_july - broken link)
Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/new_rasmussen_reports_party_weighting_targets_38_7 _democrat_33_6_republican - broken link)
Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/party_affiliation/partisan_trends - broken link)

Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM

25,886 posts, read 20,836,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Poll: GOP brand making comeback - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com

Your Pew link is old. Times have changed.

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/party_affiliation/number_of_democrats_in_us_declines_in_july - broken link)
Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/new_rasmussen_reports_party_weighting_targets_38_7 _democrat_33_6_republican - broken link)
Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/party_affiliation/partisan_trends - broken link)
Thanks! This confirms what I was saying before. Your second Rasmussen link shows the percentages used for weighting the sample:
38.7% Democrat
33.6% Republican

so, in order for any survey to correctly reflect the population of registered voters, the assumption is that it would HAVE to include MORE democrats than republicans. Since they weight their data, they are 'forcing' their sample to represent more democrats than republicans, which is essentially the same thing.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,658,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EU LP View Post
The selection of Palin has turned women away from McCain and there has been a 20 point swing from women voters to Obama.

Obama also leads with women in all ethnic categories.

Poll: Obama Retakes Lead Over McCain, CBS News/New York Times Poll Shows Obama With 5 Point Advantage, Voters Concern Over Palin - CBS News
Perhaps the Governor's negativity in the Economic climate isn't the best way to exhibit leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections