Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:21 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Of course they do.

CNN poll: Voters favor Barack Obama over John McCain on economic issues - Phoenix Business Journal:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Senator Obama steady temperament through the initial news of the financial crisis has propelled him to the forefront. He should continue to do well when he delivers specific measures to create local economic opportunities that will benefit the middle-class.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
In regards to this subject, the Keating deal will forever haunt McCain. It is very unfortunate that this current economic scare is so much in the fore front during the waining days of the election. McCain has a negative history... Obama may have just a little history (which ain't so great either), but it isn't negative.
I think McCain finds himself stuck between a rock and a hard place. He will want to talk about national security tonight, but people will want to know about the economy. And if Obama does not wimp out, I would think he will drag the name Keating into the mix.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
It just shows how uninformed people are. Over 300 economists have endorsed McCain's economic plan (July press release figures). That number is up to 530 economists, now, according to The Economist.

Ask yourself - who knows more about how the economy functions and whose plan would work better? John or Jane Doe America? Or, an economist?

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/PressReleases/c90681b9-5dfe-4de4-8057-ceedb30c228d.htm - broken link)

Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ask yourself - who knows more about how the economy functions and whose plan would work better?
Keating?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Keating?
Apparently, people are uninformed on that, as well.

The Keating scandal was just the Dems up to their usual corrupt tricks, so let the truth come out!!!

"Robert Bennett, Senate Ethics Committee lawyer who investigated McCain in the Keating 5 hearings says:
"First, I should tell your listeners I'm a registered Democrat, so I'm not on (McCain's) side of a lot of issues. But I investigated John McCain for a year and a half, at least, when I was special counsel to the Senate Ethics Committee in the Keating Five. ... And if there is one thing I am absolutely confident of, it is John McCain is an honest man. I recommended to the Senate Ethics Committee that he be cut out of the case, that there was no evidence against him."

and...

"At the completion of my investigation, I filed my report with the committee. I recommended that no further action be taken against Senators McCain and Glenn principally because once they learned that there was a criminal referral, they stopped aggressively doing Keating's bidding with the regulators."

"After reviewing my report, the committee voted on October 23, 1990, to hold a public adjudicatory fact-finding hearing in the matter as to all five senators. This was perhaps the first time the recommendation of a special counsel not to charge a senator was rejected. This was pure politics as the Democrats on the committee did not want to cut McCain loose so that only Democrats would remain in the proceedings. If Senator McCain was not going to be cut loose, in retaliation the Republicans were going to keep Senator Glenn in the proceedings. McCain was the victim of politics, and poor Glenn was held captive to the decision on McCain. So much for nonpartisanship."

"Although the public airing of the factual details helped confirm why Senators McCain and Glenn should be exonerated of ethics charges, it hurt DeConcini, Cranston, and Riegle (all Democrats)."

Democratic Counsel Robert Bennett on John McCain and Keating Five: 'Pure Politics' - Standard Newswire

Old 10-07-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Apparently, people are uninformed on that, as well.
I have researched this also. At the very least (which I find hard to believe, but am willing to consider due to media bias), it is guilt by association. To even be wrapped all up in this stuff is ugly, to say the least. If you cannot see at least that, then we cannot move further in this discussion.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I have researched this also. At the very least (which I find hard to believe, but am willing to consider due to media bias), it is guilt by association. To even be wrapped all up in this stuff is ugly, to say the least. If you cannot see at least that, then we cannot move further in this discussion.
Through public hearings, McCain was exonerated of any wrongdoing. The only reason he was dragged into it was because the Democrats didn't want only Democrats under investigation.

If you want to go down the guilt by association road - the Obama-Ayers connection is far more involved than Obama has claimed. You remember Ayers - the unrepentant domestic terrorist whose radical group bombed the Pentagon, US Capitol, and a police station and has recently stated (2001) that he thought they didn't do enough. The same Ayers whose associates blew up a townhouse and killed themselves while arming an anti-personnel nail bomb that was intended for use at a Ft. Dix dance.

There's much more going on than just a casual, remote neighborhood acquaintance relationship when Ayers gets Obama appointed to the CAC (Chicago Annenberg Challenge - the failed school reform effort that was based on ethnic identity education instead of academic achievement) board that included far more qualified education professionals like former President of the University of Illinois Stanley Ikenberry and the former President of Northwestern University Arnold Weber, and then Obama somehow becomes chairman of that board so that the Ayers-Obama agenda (they worked together for years) can be instituted over the former university pesidents' objections.

Details on the Ayers-Obama school reform:

Chosen to receive a grant:
The South Shore African Village Collaborative for their "Celebrate African-American Holiday of Juneteenth" (celebrating the Emancipation Proclamation). Some African-Americans celebrate Juneteenth instead of the Fourth of July.

Turned down to receive a grant:
*The Chicago Algebra Project: goal to increase student achievement

*The District 5 Math Initiative: goal to aid Hispanic students in the process of learning English, to further learn math and science.

More information from a Santa Clara University law professor...
More details from a law professor:
Global Labor and Politics: Obama/Ayers/Annenberg Update: The NY Times finally mentions the A-word

SSRN-The Authoritarian Radicals: Barack Obama, Bill Ayers and the Chicago Annenberg Challenge by Stephen Diamond

http://globallabor.blogspot.com/2008/08/authoritarian-radicals-barack-obama.html

and...

YouTube - ObamaAyers

Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:

If you want to go down the guilt by association road - the Obama-Ayers connection is far more involved than Obama has claimed.
I never said EITHER candidate was as pure as the driven snow.... but I thought we were talking about the economy. If you want to change gears at a drop of a hat you might want to use the clutch.
I will repeat my stance, little history trumps bad history.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I never said EITHER candidate was as pure as the driven snow.... but I thought we were talking about the economy. If you want to change gears at a drop of a hat you might want to use the clutch.
I will repeat my stance, little history trumps bad history.
YOU wanted to use guilt by association. The only executive experience Obama HAS EVER HAD was as chairman of that CAC board. You know - the $160 million, multiple years, failed Ayers-Obama school reform initiative. The Obama-Ayers history is much more than little.

OK - let's go back to the economy, if you insist.

Over 300 economists have endorsed McCain's economic plan (July press release figures). That number is up to 530 economists, now, according to The Economist.

Who knows more about how the economy functions and whose plan would work better? John or Jane Doe America? Or, an economist?

JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections