Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,940,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
While Idaho has potato's Alaska has:

The Alaska seafood industry experienced another good year in 2006, extending a trend begun four
years ago. Total earnings and employment were some of the highest in recent years, and seafood
exports, which were worth two billion dollars, accounted for half of Alaska’s total export value. The
four billion pounds of seafood harvested in 2006 worth $1.4 billion to commercial fishermen was
slightly better than 2005’s harvest value of $1.3 billion and the highest value received since 1999.
This activity resulted in approximately 7,000 average monthly fish harvesting jobs with a peak summer
total workforce of over 20,000 jobs.

in fish alone, they also have lots and lots of gold...........black and mined in the LARGEST state. Besides, I like this show.......
YouTube - Deadliest Catch Chesapeake Bay
well I realize that.. and all those industries I'm sure are doing well because of federal dollars..
Idaho is more than potatoes.. it is a huge manufacturing center for Micron Technology which is the largest employer in the state as well as a nuclear research facility in eastern Idaho.. You are very ignorant of this state..but that's fine.. we're a small state...
It is also home to natural gas, geothermal energy, as well as Gems and the largest silver mines in the country.. they don't call it the gem state for nothing..
My point is.. any state can be fantastic and have huge successful industries centered around their state's natural resources and economy when billions of federal dollars are being pumped in to support them..
is it fair and right for one state to recieve more of this money? I don't think it is.. and Palin.. while a champion for her state.. is not someone I would trust in office managing the federal budget.. its obvious that she has little respect for the national budget..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,598,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well I realize that.. and all those industries I'm sure are doing well because of federal dollars..
Idaho is more than potatoes.. it is a huge manufacturing center for Micron Technology which is the largest employer in the state
It is also home to natural gas, geothermal energy, as well as Gems.. they don't call it the gem state for nothing..
My point is.. any state can be fantastic and have huge successful industries centered around their state's natural resources and economy when billions of federal dollars are being pumped in to support them..
is it fair and right for one state to recieve more of this money? I don't think it is.. and Palin.. while a champion for her state.. is not someone I would trust in office managing the federal budget.. its obvious that she has little respect for the national budget..
Disagree, face it, some states are worth more, much MUCH more to the country in natural resources, I like food in fact I need it. Again, 1 mil for crab research is worth much more than a mil for a senators wifes pay raise.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Disagree, face it, some states are worth more, much MUCH more to the country in natural resources, I like food in fact I need it. Again, 1 mil for crab research is worth much more than a mil for a senators wifes pay raise.
well lets put it this way.. large amounts of water are needed for nuclear facilities.. and IDAHO has it.. in fact.. federal dollars were not available to build nuclear power plants in this state.. SO.. now a french company is planning to build them and they will be privately owned foreign nuclear power plants... 2 of them...Not to mention the Nuclear Research facility in idaho is one of like 3 in the entire nation... and guess who's going to benefit most from it now... that's right that foreign french company making plans to partner with the facility..
so much for energy independence right?
but lets give all the money to palin and alaska for that crab...
the rivers of many inland states support the spawning of salmon.. and without that.. you'd have no fishing industry

Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,986,184 times
fascinating stuff, but governors do not request earmarks, only senators and congressmen do.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
fascinating stuff, but governors do not request earmarks, only senators and congressmen do.
and guess what senator was doing all this for palin? the same one that is being investigated for scandal and corruption..

Old 09-11-2008, 06:03 AM

9,059 posts, read 13,019,727 times
Quote:
You're grasping at straws, all the above is important to Alaska's economy. You don't think both Maryland and Virginia don't get millions for crab and oyster study? Happens in ALL states for their interest. Bidens Delaware gets millions for horseshoe crab studies which aren't even eatable or harvested for food!
Sarah Stalin can't make the claim that she stands for less gov't waste, however.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
There are earmarks and there is pork barrel. The "R" months are rapidly approaching and I'm ready for some hard to find fresh oysters or as they say on the islands, "arsters". You know as well as I, healthy fisheries are much more important to many states economies than 1 million dollars to a hospital that the manly woman worked at. Her pay raise ate up much of that pork barrel alone. Your turn.
It's irrelevant what you're ready for. It's also irrelevant what earmarks are more important. The leprechaun and Stalin are running for "change" and saying no to earmarks and they ain't doing it, regardless of how noble you think their cause is. So you see comrade, the change is just as empty as Obama's.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,316,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Sarah Stalin can't make the claim that she stands for less gov't waste, however.
But was it waste? In one breath the left cries we don't do enough for conservation and the enviroment. These studies might determine when the crab season should be to avois endangering the future of crabs. Maybe I don't know.
Compare to the millions spent in earmarks for the wine industry.
You don't even want to get into the pork spent on useless projects. This is DC and thats the problem with using pork and earmarks to fund pet projects. No or almost no oversight or accountability. Both parties rape the tax payers every year. They claim its a traditional way to get money for their districts. No its a fairly rescent method.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
But was it waste? In one breath the left cries we don't do enough for conservation and the enviroment. These studies might determine when the crab season should be to avois endangering the future of crabs. Maybe I don't know.
Compare to the millions spent in earmarks for the wine industry.
You don't even want to get into the pork spent on useless projects. This is DC and thats the problem with using pork and earmarks to fund pet projects. No or almost no oversight or accountability. Both parties rape the tax payers every year. They claim its a traditional way to get money for their districts. No its a fairly rescent method.
Look, apologists don't get it that she's attempting to extract federal money when a supposedly small gov't person like herself doesn't believe in such techniques to support her economy. Her state tax revenue and natural resources should be more than enough to handle such "research".

Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,099,659 times
Quote:
There are earmarks and there is pork barrel. The "R" months are rapidly approaching and I'm ready for some hard to find fresh oysters or as they say on the islands, "arsters". You know as well as I, healthy fisheries are much more important to many states economies than 1 million dollars to a hospital that the manly woman worked at. Her pay raise ate up much of that pork barrel alone. Your turn.
To you. However, if you listen to his speeches, he says no earmarks, he will stop the corruption of all earmarks. So your oysters will suffer along with the sick of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections