Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,441,701 times

Advertisements

Joe Biden was a good solid pick...foreign policy credentials, experience, intelligence. Listen to what some of the leading media outlets have to say:

MSNBC (Chuck Todd): But after watching the unveiling of the ticket, it's clear Obama hired Biden to accomplish three things: 1) Connect the ticket with blue-collar voters. Notice, Biden led his remarks with the economy. 2) Sell Obama's story. Biden owned Obama's biography in a way we've yet to see from the candidate himself. 3) Credibly attack John McCain. Biden didn't mince words about his old "friend." All in all, if you believe, as I do, that the VP candidates matters most on three days, the first day, debate day and election day, then the Obama campaign has to be ecstatic about today. One goal down, two to go.

Detroit News (Gordon Trowbridge): Biden's legislative record includes a lot of work on Michigan's signature industry: autos. He was intensely involved in Delaware's unsuccessful attempts to keep Chrysler's Newark, Del., assembly plant open. Last year, he authored a bill calling for a five-year, $500 million boost for research on lithium-ion batteries, the crucial technology for making plug-in hybrid electric vehicles practical.

The New Republic (Michael Crowley): Biden has recently changed his tune on McCain's virtues, saying, "I don't recognize the guy anymore." Such an indictment of McCain from a longtime personal friend could be a powerful line of argument on the stump.

Newsweek (Andrew Romano): Biden was the only shortlister able to immediately and credibly go toe-to-toe with Republican nominee John McCain on Iraq, terrorism, Afghanistan and Pakistan. In the fall of 2002, he tried (with Republican Sens. Richard Lugar and Chuck Hagel) to pass a more modest war resolution that put additional constraints on Bush, and, like Obama, he was warning of the costs of a lengthy occupation even before the war began.

Real Clear Politics (Reid Wilson): Biden is one of the few who compares favorably with John McCain's Senate resume -- the Delaware Senator's two committee chairs were much more prominent than McCain's stints atop the Commerce and Indian Affairs panels. Instead of picking a candidate who helps him in a tactical sense, Obama eschewed political calculations and picked someone viewed as ready to be president.

How's it playing? - The Jed Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 12:21 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,173,619 times
Thanks for the post! Sounds like Obama's group made a good choice! I'm happy...I had hoped it would be Biden but didn't think he was too high up on the list.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,254,563 times
I think Biden is a good choice also...Obama is going to bring change to Washington, but even he has said that it will take more than one term to turn around the "politics as usual" way of doing business. When he first takes office he will need sound advice on a variety of issues, and I think Biden, even though he has worked in Washington a long time, is a good complement to Obama. He can work with him concerning foreign affairs.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,843,961 times
Remember something- if people on the other side weren't afraid of the choice,they wouldn't be working so hard to discredit his choice.

Right now, I see a bunch of scared McCain supporters screaming from rooftops.

They're obviously threatened.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:49 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,832,547 times
Biden a threat? Hardly. How about that message of change? It'll sound good coming from an old 36 year Washington insider. Biden is the problem; not the change agent.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,432,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I think Biden is a good choice also...Obama is going to bring change to Washington, but even he has said that it will take more than one term to turn around the "politics as usual" way of doing business. When he first takes office he will need sound advice on a variety of issues, and I think Biden, even though he has worked in Washington a long time, is a good complement to Obama. He can work with him concerning foreign affairs.
What president HASN'T promised "change" in Washington? What has Obama done to prove he's "different" other than not look like the other presidents on all those dollar bills?

Y'all are really going to be disappointed in four years, lol.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,843,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Y'all are really going to be disappointed in four years, lol.

So you're acquiesing to the fact that Obama's gonna win!

Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Remember something- if people on the other side weren't afraid of the choice,they wouldn't be working so hard to discredit his choice.

Right now, I see a bunch of scared McCain supporters screaming from rooftops.

They're obviously threatened.
i guarantee you that republicans would have been more threatened by an obama / clinton ticket. it isn't hard work to discredit a guy who called obama a clean black man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections