Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,938,903 times

Advertisements

I thought this deserved its own thread. Many of you are too young to remember this,if you were even alive. It was a big deal back in the days because these things used to mean something when looking for a president. Obviously we have lowered our standard drastically. This is from The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing. It is addressing plagiarism.

It turned out Biden had also borrowed passages from old campaign speeches by Robert Kennedy and had inflated his academic record. But oratory has a long tradition of borrowing and even "heavy lifting," as speechwriters call it, so Biden stayed alive in the presidential race. The last straw, however, came when it turned out that twenty years earlier Biden had received a failing grade in a law school course for plagiarizing a legal article (he'd given a single footnote while lifting five full pages from the article). Biden said he'd been unaware of the appropriate standards for legal briefs, but the public was unimpressed. His campaign collapsed and he withdrew from the race.

The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,454,644 times
Thumbs down It's all over now...

Yeah, that law school paper from 40 years ago will end Biden's career.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Yeah, that law school paper from 40 years ago will end Biden's career.
It did not end his career then, it certainly would not matter today considering how we have lowered the bar for our elected officials.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,255,006 times
I feel even worse that McCain played on my emotions with the "stolen" story about the cross in the sand...I felt sort of like he was my friend for a minute there.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I feel even worse that McCain played on my emotions with the "stolen" story about the cross in the sand...I felt sort of like he was my friend for a minute there.
I can't wait to see all the commercials of Biden himself saying Barack is not ready to be President, that we can't afford to have a President that will need on the job training. I hear there is already one out from the McCain camp. It will be entertaining!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:18 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,845,358 times
From some research I've done on Biden- this explains his lack of citing source of speech.

"Then in September 1987, the campaign ran into serious trouble when he was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock, then-leader of the British Labour Party.Though Biden had correctly credited the original author in all speeches but one, the one where he failed to make mention of the originator was caught on video."

Old 08-23-2008, 06:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It did not end his career then, it certainly would not matter today considering how we have lowered the bar for our elected officials.

I know what you mean.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:38 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,845,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I know what you mean.

I only wish Cheney had taught that buffoon that it's nuclear, not nook-u-ler.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I only wish Cheney had taught that buffoon that it's nuclear, not nook-u-ler.

Cheney has "taught" Dubya way too much.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 AM

526 posts, read 1,484,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Are you sure that it was stolen? Don't believe everything the opposition says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections