Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,756,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The ad continues McCain's pattern of misrepresenting Sen. Barack Obama's tax proposals as falling on middle-income families. It claims that Obama "promises more taxes on small businesses, seniors, your life savings, your family." But that's untrue for the vast majority of small businesses, seniors and individual taxpayers, who would see their taxes go down under Obama's actual plan. He proposes to increase taxes only for those with more than $250,000 in family income, or $200,000 in individual income
FactCheck: McCain Continues to Distort Obama's Tax Proposals | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

I hope voters see through all his lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

Yes, and that is me. So I cannot vote for Obama. I work hard for my money and I don't want to give any more of it away. I am already giving plenty.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times
I'm not so sure that the analysis is accurate, I recall Obama being in favor of allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire. This would raise taxes across the board, and would be an increase in middle class taxes:

As the presidential campaign heats up, a key issue is whether to extend the 2001 and 2003 income tax cuts, which expire in 2011. John McCain wants to make the tax cuts permanent. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton want to let the rates rise.

Opponents of the tax cuts point to spending programs that could be financed by the extra revenues. Chief among these is Social Security. Sen. Obama's Web site, for example, argues that "extending the Bush tax cuts will cost three times as much as what is needed to fix Social Security's solvency over the next 75 years."

AEI - Short Publications - Obama's Faulty Tax Argument (http://www.aei.org/publications/filter.,pubID.27970/pub_detail.asp - broken link)

Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
Do you have recent data and analysis. This analysis is from May and Senator Obama has issued a revised and more finalized version of his plans.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 AM

FACTCHECK.ORG
More Tax Deceptions

McCain misrepresents Obama's tax proposals again. And again, and again.

By Brooks Jackson | factcheck.org
Aug 9, 2008 | Updated: 12:35 p.m. ET Aug 9, 2008

"The radio ad claims Obama would increase taxes "on the sale of your home." In fact, home-sale profits of up to $500,000 per couple would continue to be exempt from capital gains taxes. Very few sales would see an increase under Obama's proposal to raise the capital gains rate."

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Do you have recent data and analysis. This analysis is from May and Senator Obama has issued a revised and more finalized version of his plans.
We need a series of factchecks, since Obama has so many public positions on so many issues.

Of course, this negates the previous objective analysis showing McCain's financial plans weren't as financially sound as Obama's, since that assumed Obama's position of letting Bush's tax cuts expire (his earlier position, but not his earlier/earlier position).

Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,273 times
Now why are we discussing important topics? Let's get back to Cindy McCain's half sister. After all, that is what really matters.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We need a series of factchecks, since Obama has so many public positions on so many issues.

Of course, this negates the previous objective analysis showing McCain's financial plans weren't as financially sound as Obama's, since that assumed Obama's position of letting Bush's tax cuts expire (his earlier position, but not his earlier/earlier position).
Then discuss or present Senator McCain's most recent position. Since the thread is based upon a recent release of information - the ad, and Factcheck's rebuttal, using current data, your rebuttal should follow this established guideline.

If Senator McCain's previous financial plans weren't as financially sound as Senator Obama's, based upon prior analysis, perhaps they are now.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Then discuss or present Senator McCain's most recent position. Since the thread is based upon a recent release of information - the ad, and Factcheck's rebuttal, using current data, your rebuttal should follow this established guideline.

If Senator McCain's previous financial plans weren't as financially sound as Senator Obama's, based upon prior analysis, perhaps they are now.
The academic organizations that analyzed the data would need to release the analysis, since Obama has also punted on fixing Social Security this is probabaly a bit time consuming for them to reformulate.

Besides, think Obama has finalized his plan, or is it still a work in progress?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The academic organizations that analyzed the data would need to release the analysis, since Obama has also punted on fixing Social Security this is probabaly a bit time consuming for them to reformulate.

Besides, think Obama has finalized his plan, or is it still a work in progress?
Can't really comment on Social Security but I do believe there is a thread that covers that discussion. I can only comment on the most recent data I've seen and posted, which indicated he had finalized and clarified prior statements and sections of his tax plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections