Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,013,879 times

Advertisements

RealClearPolitics - Articles - It Should Be a Democratic Year

Quote:
July polls don’t tell you who’s going to win in November. Just ask President Dukakis or President Gore, both of whom were well ahead in July and went on to lose in the fall (although Mr. Gore still doesn’t quite see it that way). Or ask President Clinton, who was running third in some polls after clinching his party’s nomination, and won comfortably in the fall. Polls are, at best, snapshots of the present, not predictors of the future.
Quote:
So here’s the bottom line. The polls make me nervous. Not desperate, not hopeless, not resigned, but nervous. Barack Obama should be ahead right now. Way ahead. Not even close is how it should look, even though I wouldn’t for a minute tell you that if it were that would seal the deal. But the fact that my old candidate Mike Dukakis was running better 20 years ago against George Bush than Obama is today against John McCain makes me nervous. It should be a sign to some of the whiners on my side, still worried about whether Obama is liberal enough or whether he’s doing enough to help Hillary, that it’s time to stop whining and start working. Otherwise, it will be hello President McCain.
Quote:
First, because the experience of the primaries, not to mention that of other African-American candidates, suggests that polls tend to overstate, not understate, support for black candidates. With the exception of Indiana, every pre-primary poll in a major state showed the race between Obama and Clinton to be closer than it turned out to be. It became a sort of running joke on election to see the DrudgeReport with the red siren on the top announcing that contests that Hillary would end up winning handily were, according to the exit polls that very day, too close to call.
Yep. It certainly is true. I found it interesting as the media realized this phenomenom, they became much more cautious about calling races before the actual vote total was in. They didn't trust the exit polls so much.

Susan is a favorite liberal of mine. She is right on the money and the Obamatized would do well to take note.

Obama UNDERPERFORMS a generic democrat - that has to be troubling to those that selected him.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,817,729 times
Quote:
July polls don’t tell you who’s going to win in November.
Quote:
The polls make me nervous.
Well that's reasonable. I'd be nervous too if an irrelevant poll gave me some scary numbers.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,691,736 times
They are nervous because they are afraid some people might use their brain and ask questions like besides Hope and Change what are your policies.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,655,766 times
I actually like Susan Estrich at times. She occasionally has lucid moments and makes sense. I suspect by November the ObamaPhenomenon will have run its course. And we will ALL be sick to death of the name, and feel oh-so-foolish for allowing him such meteoric rise to political fame.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,183,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
RealClearPolitics - Articles - It Should Be a Democratic Year

Yep. It certainly is true. I found it interesting as the media realized this phenomenom, they became much more cautious about calling races before the actual vote total was in. They didn't trust the exit polls so much.

Susan is a favorite liberal of mine. She is right on the money and the Obamatized would do well to take note.

Obama UNDERPERFORMS a generic democrat - that has to be troubling to those that selected him.

Ya, the Democrats are sooooo nervous we gave him 52 MILLION last month!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,099,678 times
Hmmm was this intended to become a now is the time for Hillary thread?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,970,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, the Democrats are sooooo nervous we gave him 52 MILLION last month!

Nervous? Nope. That would be stupidity.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,087,079 times
I am confident that Barack Obama will be our president. Nervous that a highly educated, savvy politiciam might be our president? Forgetaboutit!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,587,778 times
You can refer to all those past elections where Dukakis and Gore were way ahead, but the fact of the matter is none of them ran after 8 years of G W Bush. A lot of Republicans are going to vote for Obama out of spite. This is something that isn't talked about much. But mark my words, it'll happen.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,964,380 times
Not that he has my vote (neither does McCain), but I'd just about bet my house on the fact that he will be the next President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections