Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,170,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hilarious! NOW the republicans care about equal pay !?!?!?

They never seemed to care before saying discrimination either didn't exist , or women weren't worth it , or didn't work much or , or, or.....NOW they're all upset by PERCEIVED discrimination....??
Not upset at all. Obama should be upset that CNS is making these comparisons.

Who cares what the jobs and pay for each is? This is an article about the "typical office worker".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,675,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Not upset at all. Obama should be upset that CNS is making these comparisons.

Who cares what the jobs and pay for each is? This is an article about the "typical office worker".
No - it's not, they averaged everyone making over $23k a year, which includes the administrative manager that makes 100k a year, and the file clerk that makes 23k a year.

You cannot determine if there is a pay discrepancy without the job details, which CNS failed to provide. I've done a search for the "Report of the Secretary of the Senate" report they reference they got their data from, but cannot find it for the time period referenced. If I could find it, I'd run my own analysis using job titles to determine whether or not gender discrimination was in play. It's very convenient that CNS did not use that data in their analysis.

Who cares? You don't - if you want to use skewed data to make yourself right.

Again, you cannot compare a file clerk to a VP when determining salary inequality.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,682,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You cannot twist statistics to prove a point.

The point is moot, unless every single male and female is working the exact same job, and the females are being paid less.

You cannot compare the salary of a file clerk, to the salary of a manager.
Details details. The guy is a racist bum.

You are right that the best way to compare is for 2 equall exactly the same jobs.

But........

Before you stick up for your hero Barry Hussein and how he conducts his own office. Can you also equally defend the United States and its own pay between male and female disparity? Your own (not mine) govt and all of America's work force sees women being paid 80 cents on a dollar (depending on age) less then men.

Is there any possible way to compare a hundred trillion job discriptions with eachother?

No.

Change change change change. Is anyone else getting sick of this guy's one word vocabulary? I for one never heard what this change is going to be. President Obama. Sounds so American doesn't it.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 AM

I went looking for specifics but couldn't find any either. I'm surprised Obama doesn't have that linked to his website since all his other opinions are there.

Here's something interesting though:

Quote:
First, one has to ask why Obama has 64 non-intern staffers while McCain has 46. Obama doesn’t chair any committees, and the subcommittee he chairs has not exactly had a prodigious output. The difference in salaries comes to almost a million dollars a year. What exactly is the value that taxpayers have received for this extra assistance? Obama has a negligible legislative record for his three years in the Senate, and has spent most of the last two years running for President, as has McCain, who managed to get by with much less.
So not only do the women on average make less, he hires more people to do less work than McCain. That makes sense given his bloated government philosophy.

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Does Obama pay women less than men?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,989,569 times
This thread is hilarious. I would love to know the specifics about who earns what doing what for both campaigns before being inclined to believe any of the article's claims. The article just seems too fishy to be trusted at face-value.

Everyone else jumping on the Obama and/or McCain bandwagon just because of this story really ought to step back and be rational as well. Don't believe everything you see published (especially during an election-year).

Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
This thread is hilarious. I would love to know the specifics about who earns what doing what for both campaigns before being inclined to believe any of the article's claims. The article just seems too fishy to be trusted at face-value.

Everyone else jumping on the Obama and/or McCain bandwagon just because of this story really ought to step back and be rational as well. Don't believe everything you see published (especially during an election-year).
It's CNS.com. They've never been wrong before.

Join the fun. I've asked for details before in regards to many of Obama's policies. I always get the same links to his website that provides little to no actual details. Now, Obama's fans want details. It's very amusing.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Wait a minute. Obama's own speech on this issue:

Quote:
It starts with equal pay. 62 percent of working women in America earn half – or more than half – of their family's income. But women still earn only 77 cents for every dollar earned by men. In 2008, you'd think that Washington would be united in its determination to fight for equal pay. That's why I was proud to co-sponsor the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, which would have reversed last year's Supreme Court decision, which made it more difficult for women to challenge pay discrimination on the job.
Where are the details? Where's the breakdown for his information? Why doesn't he provide us details about which jobs these women hold? CNS provided more information than Obama did.

barack Obama Speech-Obama Remarks for Discussion with Working Women - as prepared for delivery WhiteHouse.com - Changing the Face of Politics

Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute. Obama's own speech on this issue:

Where are the details? Where's the breakdown for his information? Why doesn't he provide us details about which jobs these women hold? CNS provided more information than Obama did.

barack Obama Speech-Obama Remarks for Discussion with Working Women - as prepared for delivery WhiteHouse.com - Changing the Face of Politics
First of all, you're not going to break down detailed statistics in a speech.

However, he did reference the bill was inspired by the woman I mentioned previously, who was earning $6,500 less a year than someone doing the same job as her.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
First of all, you're not going to break down detailed statistics in a speech.

However, he did reference the bill was inspired by the woman I mentioned previously, who was earning $6,500 less a year than someone doing the same job as her.
Once again, Barry can do and say anything he wants and never has to provide proof that what he's saying is true. His words:

Quote:
It starts with equal pay. 62 percent of working women in America earn half – or more than half – of their family's income. But women still earn only 77 cents for every dollar earned by men. In 2008, you'd think that Washington would be united in its determination to fight for equal pay.
Yep, you would think Washington would be united. Apparently Barry thinks he's outside of DC. He makes a generalized statement that obviously includes averages with no details, yet it's okay, because he's Obama.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Once again, Barry can do and say anything he wants and never has to provide proof that what he's saying is true. His words:

Yep, you would think Washington would be united. Apparently Barry thinks he's outside of DC. He makes a generalized statement that obviously includes averages with no details, yet it's okay, because he's Obama.
You want each speech to be two hours long detailing every statistic?

You can google those numbers and find the backup.

I cannot google the numbers presented by CNS to back their claims up.

CNS is not speaking in generalities, they're presenting a very specific group of employees that they are claiming pay discrimination on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections