Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times

Advertisements

Obama vs. McCain: The money battle - First Read - msnbc.com
Mr. Obama's Waffle - washingtonpost.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/20/opinion/20fri1.html

Quote:
The excitement underpinning Senator Barack Obama’s campaign rests considerably on his evocative vows to depart from self-interested politics. Unfortunately, Mr. Obama has come up short of that standard with his decision to reject public spending limitations and opt instead for unlimited private financing in the general election.
Quote:
Senator Russ Feingold, the ranking authority on campaign-finance reform, called Mr. Obama’s retreat “not a good decision.” He rightly points out that while the primary cycle’s public matching subsidies are “broken” and need updating for inflation, “the system for the general election is not.”
I'm quite shocked the fawning media even noticed his flip-flop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,843 times
Well, they always notice and then they start twirling .... but I was shocked they didn't really spin it. Maybe that was their token "balanced" way of looking at things figuring it really won't mean a whole lot to most people over the long term.

It should, but it probably won't. Those fainting in the aisles over Mr. Obama will not be bothered by this.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 PM

FactCheck.org: Obama's Lame Claim About McCain's Money

Yeah. The guy is showing his true colors.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,872,891 times
Good info.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:48 AM

690 posts, read 1,016,149 times
All Obama did was even the playing field.
McCain may lag in money, but RNC outraises the DNC by 5 times | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times
and now the McBush fans have to win on substance...
4 more years of this war
4 more years of this economy

Where is Hukabee? He had good ideas on these 2 fronts!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:33 AM

Obama alienates the editors - Kenneth P. Vogel - Politico.com

Quote:
Friday morning, scathing editorials in many top broadsheets characterized Obama’s move as a self-interested flip-flop, dismissed his efforts to cast it as a principled stand and charged that Obama wasn’t living up to the reformer image around which he has crafted his political identity.
Just pass on by Obamatons; nothing your messiah does (to show just what kind of politician he is) will change your minds.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 AM

422 posts, read 759,775 times
Obama's a lying sack of ****. The only people surprised by this are the morons who actually believe he is what he says he is, instead of paying attention to his real record as a racist street hustler/machine boss and his racist/thuggish/drug induced rantings in his 2 books.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Now now McCain had a better May then Obama fundraising so every one can feel better and go on with life.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Rasmussen Reports™: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/opting_out_of_public_funding_unlikely_to_hurt_obam a - broken link)

Despite all the agonized media coverage of Barack Obama’s decision to opt out of public funding for Election 2008, the decision is likely to have little impact on Obama’s standing with voters. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that just 30% of voters favor public funding and just 16% say it is Very Important in determining their vote. These results are consistent with earlier polling on the topic.

Although it costs them nothing, very few taxpayers even bother to check off the box on their tax form designating money to the Presidential campaign fund.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
..................and now the McBush fans have to win on substance...
If it actually comes down to that, it's a slam dunk for McCain!!!

So I hope you're right

And just one more time for those who aren't listening or simply aren't paying attention: McCain is not Bush, Bush is not McCain. They differ on so many levels. They are, however, both Republicans with McCain further to the left than Bush.

I know the Dems will continue that mantra, continue to try to drum it in, but it's simply not true.

I honestly think that no matter who had won the Republican nomination, this mantra would have come along. The Dems have so little on their side, they have to use this because Bush's poll numbers are so low.

But it just doesn't wash. Although McCain was not my first choice, what I am really impressed with is his ability to listen and agree to change direction after studying the facts today compared to what they were 10 years ago.

Fortunately, Mr. Obama has said he will do the same thing with regard to the war. So don't look for the troops to come home as promised within 16 months ... not going to happen. So score 1 for Obama on recognizing that may not be the best road after all.

I apologize for going off topic, but every time I read "McBush" or "4 more years" I get fired up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections