Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Also, if McCain wins, she can run again in 4 years.
Wouldn't Hillary be able to run again in 4 years no matter who was president?

Interesting that you assume Obama would be in office 8 years, and you assume McCain will be voted out after 4 years.

If Obama turns out to be as horrible as you suggest, wouldn't the DNC nominate Hillary in 2012? They're not obligated to re-nominate Obama. Sounds like you think Obama will do such a good job that he will, of course, be re-elected.

And, it also sounds like you think McCain would do a terrible job--so bad that he won't be re-elected.

Something to think about...

Last edited by normie; 05-28-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I've been out of town--did I miss something big on the news? Has McCain announced he will only seek one term of office?
If he ends up being Bush's 3rd term, you know people will be screaming for "Change!"

Here's a Clinton supporter's reasons for not voting for Obama (for Jane):

I don't see the resume for President, and we deperately need someone prepared for the job. Best I can see he was a US Senator for 143 days before running for President. He had a part-time job as a state leg prior. I still see no evidence of a full time job.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
I don't think McCain will be as terrible of a president as Obamacans think. He talks about global warming, and economic issues that no other Republican ever has. While I may not agree with his war policy, he does seem to have his head on straight, unlike the current administration.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
you know people will be screaming for "Change!"
But wouldn't those same people be screaming for "Change" from Obama?

Or... could it be... you secretly suspect people are going to like President Obama?

Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If he ends up being Bush's 3rd term, you know people will be screaming for "Change!"
I can respect people who vote for McCain because they think he's the best candidate.

But it's crazy to vote for someone because you'll think he'll be so terrible that people are screaming for "Change!"

Old 05-28-2008, 03:01 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
The people who don't like Obama think he's inexperienced. Hillary had substance, Obama doesn't.

I wish I could say it's only me, but I travel the internet and I've found quite a few groups of disenchanted Democrats who plan to 1) not vote at all; 2) write in somebody; 3) vote for McCain; 4) vote for somebody else.

I think that is a Republican daydreaam. If you think that Bill Clinton will give up his role in Democratic circles by not supporting Obama, I think people are living in a fantasy world.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:

Here's a Clinton supporter's reasons for not voting for Obama (for Jane):

I don't see the resume for President, and we deperately need someone prepared for the job. Best I can see he was a US Senator for 143 days before running for President. He had a part-time job as a state leg prior. I still see no evidence of a full time job.
The problem is we have Mr K street there who has never been anything but in government with its incestuousness. We have coat tails woman who has ridden on the accomplishments of others and added them to her resume, but is still the consummate insider. The insiders, who should have known how to play, were hoodwinked by a two bit cowboy coat tailer to get us in the mess we are in. You bet I am looking for a resume that has some career broadening vs the insider. Obama is it.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I think that is a Republican daydreaam. If you think that Bill Clinton will give up his role in Democratic circles by not supporting Obama, I think people are living in a fantasy world.
Oh no! I fully expect the Clinton's to support Obama! But that doesn't mean that Clinton's supporters need to support Obama.

Are we going to support Party over Country or Country over Party? I'll support my Country before I even think about supporting my Party. After all, we are free to switch parties anytime we want to.

Also, historically, Democratic Party ideals were the Republican Party ideals. Somewhere along the way, the two crossed over. Perhaps we are at another point in history where the traditional values will cross back over to the other party? McCain is a very moderate Republican. If the Christian Right gives up on the Republicans, perhaps more Democrats will move over to the Republican party since it appears the Democratic Party has tossed the traditional Democrats?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
The problem is we have Mr K street there who has never been anything but in government with its incestuousness. We have coat tails woman who has ridden on the accomplishments of others and added them to her resume, but is still the consummate insider. The insiders, who should have known how to play, were hoodwinked by a two bit cowboy coat tailer to get us in the mess we are in. You bet I am looking for a resume that has some career broadening vs the insider. Obama is it.
Obama has tons of insiders on his campaign just like GWB. So, basically what you are saying is: You want another puppet government.

That's what Dubya was -- a puppet government. And you are going to vote for the same thing.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
The people who don't like Obama think he's inexperienced. Hillary had substance, Obama doesn't.

I wish I could say it's only me, but I travel the internet and I've found quite a few groups of disenchanted Democrats who plan to 1) not vote at all; 2) write in somebody; 3) vote for McCain; 4) vote for somebody else.

Does you expect hardcore Obama supporters to vote for her in 4 years? They will simply do the same thing you want to do and vote for somebody else. Hillary can't win without Obama supporters and her supporters better realize this and make sure they do everything they can to get Obama to be elected as president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections