Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 AM

845 posts, read 2,745,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Anyone think we could make this argument? I believe that come fall, we will see one of the, if not the lowest voter turnout in the history of presidential elections.
I want to hear your argument on why you think this election will have record low turnout. Many states have broken and come close to the record number of people voting in the primary.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,974,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I'm disappointed for those voters in FL and MI. Especially in MI, it's unfortunate that they didn't have a voice in voting for Obama, so that's why I believe they should not be counted. Wouldn't you be mad if you were a voter in MI that wanted to vote for Obama and couldn't, and now all the Clinton votes were counted? If you would have read my post, you would see that I think there may be a way to "count" FL, even though I don't think it's completely fair, since the candidates agreed not to campaign there. The only reason I think there is a difference there is because both were actually on the ballot.

It has nothing to do with the fact that I support Senator Obama. As my post stated, if Senator Clinton gets nominated in what I consider to be a fair manner, most likely she will get my vote.

I'm not convinced that FL and/or MI would go to Clinton. If logistics and money weren't the issues, I'd be in favor of a re-vote in both of these states.

Yes, I agree that Obama should be on the ballot, which is why there should be another election with his name on the ballot.
There should be a complete re-vote in both states. We cannot just disregard the will of voters in two states. Money and logistics are nothing compared to a fair election.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:27 PM

524 posts, read 840,014 times
I think it may be a valid argument. People may be registering in "record numbers" but we tend to hear that every 4 years anyway, don't we?

I've also heard quite a few people say they will just not vote if their candidate does not clinch the nomination.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
Quote:
if Senator Clinton somehow gets the nomination because of the DNC giving her the MI pledged delegates (I think there may be some way to semi-fairly dole out FL, even though I think it shouldn't be done), I will NOT vote. I say this as a citizen who has voted in every election, whether it be city, state, or national, for over twenty years.

If Senator Clinton somehow gets the nomination through superdelegates switching back to her, without the benefit of MI pledged delegates or FL delegates, I will most likely vote, leaning toward Clinton, but will take a closer look at McCain.
Please do not cut off our noses to spite your face! We need every vote to ensure a democrat is in the whitehouse. These are manufactured differences and we will always be better off with the democrat than another republican. Please!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM

A second vote will not work because the factors in play at the time do not exist. They all agreed to this, they went on with it, now it is time to stand up and let it be. How do make whole the dems who voted in the republican primary because they felft they had no democrat to vote for? How do you make up for the candidates who were still in the running way back then but did not have their name on the ballot because they were not suppposed to campaign there? How do you put the genie back in the bottle? Hillary lost and she needs to accept it.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM

144 posts, read 336,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yuppers....BIG turnout this fall.....of Democrats...

....and Republicans who have turned against their party.....

Turn against their party to support a man, somewhat of a man, who alligns himself with terrorist, has no clue about foriegn policy, the economy or anything else outside of his leftiist world. Keep wishing, is there any Dems with just one ounce of common sense?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 PM

524 posts, read 840,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
....we will always be better off with the democrat than another republican. Please!
Democrats have killed more American soldiers in wars than Republicans ever have. That's a fact.

Why are we always better off? Do tell.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,811,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukePH View Post
Turn against their party to support a man, somewhat of a man, who alligns himself with terrorist, has no clue about foriegn policy, the economy or anything else outside of his leftiist world. Keep wishing, is there any Dems with just one ounce of common sense?
Once again, i think your Ph level is beyond its normal range. Time to rest all that rhetoric in order to restore your Ph level

Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,548,781 times
Quote:
if Senator Clinton somehow gets the nomination because of the DNC giving her the MI pledged delegates (I think there may be some way to semi-fairly dole out FL, even though I think it shouldn't be done), I will NOT vote. I say this as a citizen who has voted in every election, whether it be city, state, or national, for over twenty years.

If Senator Clinton somehow gets the nomination through superdelegates switching back to her, without the benefit of MI pledged delegates or FL delegates, I will most likely vote, leaning toward Clinton, but will take a closer look at McCain.
You might as well give up on the "if Clinton gets the nomination" meme. It's not going to happen. The super delegates are no longer undecided; they're simply undeclared (meaning that they have made their decision, they're just not saying until the last primary). And the media are simiarly giving her a chance to exit as she sees fit.

But make no mistake, there are no "ifs" about her candidacy any more.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone666 View Post
Democrats have killed more American soldiers in wars than Republicans ever have. That's a fact.

Why are we always better off? Do tell.
Because we need an end to the fear and pitting of one group against another that has been the hallmark of this presidency! You are with us or agin us, has got to end! I blame the congress equally for the war, they voted, not having the common sense or guts to stop it. I blame the American people for the war in Iraq because we sit by and watch it like a baseball game. Nothing will change unless we put someone with a new direction in the whitehouse and allow the legislature to get some bills passed to restore our civil rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections