Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 PM

123 posts, read 347,082 times

Advertisements

Sebelious for me then. A Catholic( about time ) and originally from Michigan. I think the " establishment guys " will want an older male alongside this younger than norm president. Apparently you all don't go for the Obama/Clinton ticket....ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM

437 posts, read 631,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Obama/Bill Bradley would be my dream ticket, but I suspect Richardson is at the top of the list.

But, to be pragmatic, he should choose someone who can bring in low income, rural white males.... isn't that Obama's weakest demo?
I get the feeling that rural white males and white females won't voting for the same person, and that Obama has a better shot to win over white women than rural white men.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:57 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,452,606 times
Lightbulb Who should Obama pick as his running mate?

The way VPs are normally chosen is to make an effort to "balance the ticket" both geographically and philosophically. In Obama's case, I'd think that means a white southern male with a military background. Possibilities would include Wes Clark (a big Clinton supporter) or Jim Webb. Of course, this year has been outside the norm in most respects.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,588,202 times
Obama could go with Hillary to help heal the party. But my guess is that who ever he selects, it will be someone that well known in the political world to help balance out his so called inexperience. Most people dont know Obama so he may need a well known political figure.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Tell me more about ? Sebelius, who is she. I agree that Richardson may want to be the #2 guy but somehow I don't think he could get the vote out, AND he alignes himself w/the NRA which I hate. What about Hillary being VP. It could work unless they hate each other so much. I hope McCain chooses someone we all could dislike ( like Dem traitor Joe Liebernman ) . Personally I would like Edwards to come back on board but doubt that would happen.
You may hate the NRA but they are a force that the Democrats are going to have to learn to live with. Unlike the other radical rightist like the anti abortion bunch, the NRA represents the views of a very large swath of natural Democrat voters- including myself- and when Democrats scare them with talk about taking away people's guns, we lose. The NRA is very influential in key states like West Virgina which cost Al Gore dearly in 2000. I am not suggesting that Obama and other Democrats join the NRA (I am a member) but they should avoid antagonizing them. A good on guns VP pick like Webb or Richardson would help in that area.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:29 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Obama could go with Hillary to help heal the party. But my guess is that who ever he selects, it will be someone that well known in the political world to help balance out his so called inexperience. Most people dont know Obama so he may need a well known political figure.
The question is would Hillary take it. As VP she would not weld the power she will as either Senate Majority Leader or the Chairman of a powerful Senate Committee- which would probably be offered to her to get her on board. Also she could run for Governor of New York. I just do not see her as wanting to be a number 2 person to anybody.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,406,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Here's another name: Jon Corzine of New Jersey. Former senator and now governor of NJ. Former head honcho of Goldman Sachs. Ultra rich guy. His presence on the ticket will pacify Wall Street who may be nervous with Obama's liberal leanings.
I'd sooner put a bullet in my head than vote for a ticket with his name on it. He'd continue the same line of "we need to cut $3 billion from the budget- let's take away $3 million of scholarships, and increase tolls on the Turnpike by 10,000%" thinking that he's trying in NJ at the federal level. Thanks, but he's one of the reasons I finally said screw it and left NJ last year.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,811,856 times
Perhaps James Carville or Lanny Davis. It looks like they've been dying to be in office. I don't who is gonna be the VP choice but one can certainly guarantee its gonna be a woman. I just hope it's not Ferraro.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,661,544 times
Colin Powell -- two for the price of one -- but only if Powell explains in detail how incompetent and ridiculous the Bush administration is/was and profusely apologizes for being snowed into presenting false intelligence to the U.N. A Bush insider on the ticket would keep Bush's memory alive throughout the election (which can only be good for the Democrats). He's got cross over moderate appeal, experience -- the author of the Powell doctrine (which some of us still care about and would like to see implemented) and the choice would be a signal that Obama isn't doing politics as usual.

Another, not really serious choice, would be Gore -- only the fat, bearded Gore -- as a visible symbol of "change".

Richardson would be a good, of course, for the present and future. The hispanic voting bloc is going to keep increasing dramatically. VP Richardson would be in a good position to inherit the mantle in 2016.

I like Jim Webb a lot, but I don't think he's necessarily a good choice -- he's a little weak on experience as is Obama. However, his pick would be a sign that Obama is going to take his revised GI Bill seriously. That's something Obama needs to make part of his platform, pronto btw. The military is a solidly Republican bloc that the Democrats could carve into, especially if this bill gets more publicity. Hmmm.. Webb is Mr. Defense from a Democratic perspective, so maybe he wouldn't be such a bad pick after all.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,607 times
I've been reading a bit on Jim Webb, he might be a really smart choice. His bio would appeal to a big segment that Obama is not getting right now. A white, southern moderate with significant military background and leadership experience. His strong 2nd Amendment stance, pro-Veteran, and Reagan White House ties would help with moderate Republicans and the so-called Reagan Democrats.

Excerpted from Wikipedia fwiw:

Quote:
James Henry "Jim" Webb, Jr. (born February 9, 1946) is the junior Senator from Virginia. He is also an author and a former Secretary of the Navy under President Ronald Reagan. He is a member of the Democratic Party.

A 1968 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Webb served as a Marine Corps infantry officer until 1972, and is a highly decorated Vietnam War combat veteran. During his four years with the Reagan administration, Webb served as the first Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs, then as Secretary of the Navy. Webb won the Democratic nomination for the 2006 Virginia Senate race by defeating Harris Miller in the primary, then won the general election by defeating the Republican incumbent George Allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections