Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM

437 posts, read 631,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
Tell me more about ? Sebelius, who is she.
She's the governor of Kansas and this year's respondent to the State of the Union address. Ironically, Sebelius got into office largely due to a split in the Kansas Republican party. There are some things I don't agree with her on - guns (which will keep away white males) and same sex marriages (which could keep away the youth), but her over stances are pretty solid and in alignment with my own.

Kathleen Sebelius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - KS Gov Kathleen Sebelius' Democratic Response to SOTU

YouTube - Kansas Governor Endorses Barack Obama

Quote:
What about Hillary being VP.
Absolutely not. That would be a slap in the face to so many Barack supporters. He'd be a fool to jump on Hillary's kamikaze plane. It's bad enough Hillary is only staying in this race now so that somebody will pick up her Democratic tab. Now she should get the VP nod too, after it took all of this to get her out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:26 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
An Obama/Sebelius ticket would be my absolute dream. My husband teases me about Sebelius, reminding me that I was once this excited about Hillary.

I never realized until today that Richardson and Sebelius were nearly the same age. I was just about to beg Obama to throw us poor Boomer women a bone because Richardson has plenty of time...and then I saw that he's older than she is!

I knew that race would be an issue in this campaign (despite the HillBillies braying otherwise), but I hate that it's become such a central issue. Richardson versus Sebelius is basically Latinos versus white women. I think Barack can regain a large number of women back with Sebelius on the ticket; not just because she's a woman, but because she is a CAPABLE woman who is more than capable of being Commander-in-Chief. And unfortunately, there are far more white women for Barack to need support from than Latinos. I don't think Obama will lose more Latinos if he doesn't pick Richardson; I think his percentage with them will just stay consistently low. Whereas I can see million of Hillary voters stomping over to McCain because that big ol' meanie Obama had the NERVE to beat her in a primary campaign. That'll show us!

Regardless of who gets picked, I think they should make a pact that whoever becomes the VP will take the other candidate when s/he runs for president. So if Obama takes Richardson, and in 4-8 years Richardson runs for president, he should take Sebelius. If Obama takes Sebelius and Sebelius runs in 4-8 years, she should take Richardson. That way, we get them all in office and give them all (long) shots at the being POTUS.
Sounds like a plan.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,841,284 times
Absolutely no Hilliary on the ticket. The party doesn't need Hilliary Clinton on the ticket to be united. Give me a break. Once Obama becomes the nominee I believe the rank and file and many, many other Democrats will fall in line in support of Obama. Besides having Hillbilly on the ticket could drive current Obama supporters elsewhere. Many just don't want to see her on the ticket. Yours truly included.
Having said that I think Obama would be well served to name a moderate to the ticket.
Having a woman on board would be a good idea. I don't know much about Sebelius, but having someone from the center of the country would be a good idea.
I heard Gov. Rendall (spelling?) from PA being mentioned. A Clinton supporter who could help heal the divisions within the party w/o going to Hilliary.
Richardson is a good choice as well.
I think naming a governor is especially important.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,652 times
Governors or former governors will have an advantage over senators. How about Eliot Spitzer? hehehehe.......

Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,841,284 times
[quote=cowboy45;3698498
If he picks Hillary I may have to vote for McCain. I am tired of the Clintons and Bushes. The country needs new blood.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying what I've been mentioned for months and months. No more Clintons and Bushes please. Dynasties are bad news.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,902,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Absolutely no Hilliary on the ticket. The party doesn't need Hilliary Clinton on the ticket to be united. Give me a break. Once Obama becomes the nominee I believe the rank and file and many, many other Democrats will fall in line in support of Obama. Besides having Hillbilly on the ticket could drive current Obama supporters elsewhere. Many just don't want to see her on the ticket. Yours truly included.
Having said that I think Obama would be well served to name a moderate to the ticket.
Having a woman on board would be a good idea. I don't know much about Sebelius, but having someone from the center of the country would be a good idea.
I heard Gov. Rendall (spelling?) from PA being mentioned. A Clinton supporter who could help heal the divisions within the party w/o going to Hilliary.
Richardson is a good choice as well.
I think naming a governor is especially important.
Now Rendell is somebody I could get behind as VP. He was great in Philly as Mayor and has been really great as Governor of Pennsylvania. This would be a good choice for VP if people can't accept Hillary.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,652 times
Here's another name: Jon Corzine of New Jersey. Former senator and now governor of NJ. Former head honcho of Goldman Sachs. Ultra rich guy. His presence on the ticket will pacify Wall Street who may be nervous with Obama's liberal leanings.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,180 times
Obama/Bill Bradley would be my dream ticket, but I suspect Richardson is at the top of the list.

But, to be pragmatic, he should choose someone who can bring in low income, rural white males.... isn't that Obama's weakest demo?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,318,006 times
1. Hillary would be the best option because it would prove that Obama was sincere about unity and people would admire his character/integrity but I doubt that he will select Hillary... too bad because I think they would compliment each other perfectly and probably guarantee the presidency.

2. John Edwards.

Hope he does not select Richardson because it will make him look like he struck a deal with him for his endorsement plus he appears to be weak in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,902,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
1. Hillary would be the best option because it would prove that Obama was sincere about unity and people would admire his character/integrity but I doubt that he will select Hillary... too bad because I think they would compliment each other perfectly and probably guarantee the presidency.

2. John Edwards.

Hope he does not select Richardson because it will make him look like he struck a deal with him for his endorsement plus he appears to be weak in my opinion.
I echo this statement about Richardson. It could possibly drive me to not vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections