Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times

Advertisements

Personally, I can never get social security - I withdrew from it decades ago.

And, never looked back

Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Yes and the Caymans is one of the biggest off shore countries to launder money.Cheap labor is the incentive in China. My nephew just returned from china and he says they have a industrial areas that is 125 sq miles where he visited. The workers live in huts on the property and other than that there is really nothing.But like india they also have a popualtion that is starved for things like refrigerators televisons and other common things that we take for granted and that means they are growing by leaps and bounds as consumer nations.As far as McCain ;he payed in so let him collect.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM

523 posts, read 1,283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
class warfare at it's finest. make the rich pay into a system they want no part of then demonize them for taking what they are entitled to. this is fascism and the militancy of the American left to accomplish their goals of economic equality at the expense of people that actually make something for themselves is a threat to the very liberty this nation was founded upon is completely disgusting.
Here here!

It is sickening how over and over I read about how "bad" rich people are. Any person who is capable of writing a reply is capable of becoming rich, if they want to badly enough. Most Americans simply do not want to take the risks involved, nor give up employer funded health insurance, retirement plans, and weekends off... Nor do the hard work and long hours required to move up the ladder. Yet, these same people gripe about the "rich" and what they do with THEIR money. I imagine if these same people suddenly won or inherited a great sum of money, they would have a different perspective!

I am not rich yet, but I admire people who have built themselves up.

Another funny thing, at least in Detroit, is how the poorest people will "rally" behind the MOST crooked politicians! Maybe they are trying to live vicariously through them???

Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I don't get it. So he gets the SS he qualified for. SO? What is wrong w/ that? And who cares how much money he or Obama or Hillary contributed to anything? Their business - their decisions - their money!

Why would any of that be an issue? They all paid their taxes . . . just like the rest of us poor schleps.

Why would anyone care how much money these people make . . . as long as they are paying their taxes and doing nothing illegal . . . who cares?????

Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,617,039 times
No wonder I am a former liberal, the stinken liberals brains are so fixed on taking from those who have earned a good living and want them to give it to those who cannot.

Shame on you for even thinking there is something wrong with it. It is "his" money, not yours and he deserves to get it back just like you and me. It is not a free "government" payment like the liberals believe, this man paid into this and it has nothing to do with what or how much he makes otherwise.
It should be his and his only decision not to take his own money in payments.
But liberals are for given all the free social welfare money out they can get there hands on arent they?

Former liberal and this is just one of the reasons I had to leave the party of jealous people who cannot stand for someone to have it better... I mean have earned themselves a better life.

I know you guys are looking to find something or anything you can to slam this guy, my goodness, he is an American military hero and no money could be repaid this man for what he went through.
His military pension is a joke and should have been twice that much.

Stop with the petty stuff and find something of real substance that means something to attack him on.

Why is it liberals cannot stand for someone to have anything? But yet love to give the people who will not work for it free handouts?

This post reminds me that the reason why we have a problem in this country will people who wont take care of themselves, but yet the OP of this thinks ss is government handout?

Remember SS was earned money and paid into money, your freebie hadnouts to the poor and lazy free handouts from the government, thus from you and me to them. We are rewarding those who wont even get a job and that is what is wrong!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,660,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yes and the Caymans is one of the biggest off shore countries to launder money.Cheap labor is the incentive in China. My nephew just returned from china and he says they have a industrial areas that is 125 sq miles where he visited. The workers live in huts on the property and other than that there is really nothing.But like india they also have a popualtion that is starved for things like refrigerators televisons and other common things that we take for granted and that means they are growing by leaps and bounds as consumer nations.As far as McCain ;he payed in so let him collect.

You really know a lot. Very sharp.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:58 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you don't seem to understand jdiddy. this is not a one size fits all society. I don't want social security. I would rather invest my money elsewhere. this money is stolen from me.
So, opt out and quit whining. Apparently, it IS possible to opt out as someone on this forum has done so.

When I became a teacher, I certainly did NOT have a choice about paying into the Teacher Retirement System of Texas. And, guess what? The benefits are HORRIBLE! Moreover, teachers lose part of their rightful pension money if their spouses get Social Security. I can't remember how it works but it's a mess.

I was unexpectedly stricken with a serious illness, worked as long as I could, and became disabled at age 41. The Teacher Retirement System had no viable provisions for the disabled and the supplemental insurance policies I bought on my own fought tooth and nail so they wouldn't have to pay out. (I lost my home to foreclosure before they finally did pay!) THANK GOD I had worked outside of education and paid into Social Security for many years before I started teaching.

Sad to say that people like teachers, police officers, and other public servants don't earn salaries high enough to afford a substantial investment portfolio to take care of them when they are elderly or ill. What would happen to the millions of people who worked for decades and earned modest incomes if there wasn't something like Social Security to help them?

And I certainly don't begrudge even the wealthy like McCain from collecting what they're due from the program. As I stated before, they are taxed quite handily on their incomes and Social Security so it's really going right back to the government.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I have read this whole thread and I am still confused as to why anyone would think that collecting SS is wrong . . . ????? McCain paid into the system - so he collects. None of us gets a choice as to whether or not we wish to pay into the system. It is TAKEN from us . . . and we are supposed to file to get some of it back.

Is there someone here who thinks that if McCain refused to receive his SS it would mean the rest of us would get LARGER payments? Uh, surely not. So what is the point? If he doesn't take his . . .so what? Your payments are based on a fixed scale that is totally inflexible. You are gonna get what you are gonna get no matter what the other guy does (or if he should die early and not draw out his "expected" share).

So what is the issue here? Call me dense; I don't get it. I hate having to pay into SS system. But I do! And I only can hope that I will get at least some of my money back . . . eventually.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have read this whole thread and I am still confused as to why anyone would think that collecting SS is wrong . . . ????? McCain paid into the system - so he collects. None of us gets a choice as to whether or not we wish to pay into the system. It is TAKEN from us . . . and we are supposed to file to get some of it back.

Is there someone here who thinks that if McCain refused to receive his SS it would mean the rest of us would get LARGER payments? Uh, surely not. So what is the point? If he doesn't take his . . .so what? Your payments are based on a fixed scale that is totally inflexible. You are gonna get what you are gonna get no matter what the other guy does (or if he should die early and not draw out his "expected" share).

So what is the issue here? Call me dense; I don't get it. I hate having to pay into SS system. But I do! And I only can hope that I will get at least some of my money back . . . eventually.
Well, for me the funny part is that Republicans/conservatives here have said that SS is welfare...that we didn't earn it, that it's a handout.....AND it's running out of money.....Republicans wanted to "privatize " it...so only Wall Street would make money.....to save it!

But now they think it's perfectly OKey dokey for OLD RICH man McCain to collect it. I was thinking that he shouldn't and then maybe SS wouldn't "run out" like the Republicans think it will....

Old 04-19-2008, 12:43 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,877,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well, for me the funny part is that Republicans/conservatives here have said that SS is welfare...that we didn't earn it, that it's a handout.....AND it's running out of money.....Republicans wanted to "privatize " it...so only Wall Street would make money.....to save it!

But now they think it's perfectly OKey dokey for OLD RICH man McCain to collect it. I was thinking that he shouldn't and then maybe SS wouldn't "run out" like the Republicans think it will....
Idiocracy at it's finest. Wealth redistribution via social security (people that earned less throughout their working lives and paid less into the system collect bigger checks when they retire than people who retire wealthy and paid more into the system). McCain was forced into paying into the system and he's entitled to every penny he ever put into it with interest. Instead, the government redistributes the funds to those in greater need and it is highly unlikely that McCain will ever see the amount of money he paid into the system over his adult life. We have a word for this. It's called theft and only the government would get away with this rape of tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections