Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Religion Factor
I'm a non-theist and have no problem voting for any Christian candidate 1 2.33%
I'm a non-theist and have no problem voting for a Christian candidate who doesn't make a big deal out of his/her religion 21 48.84%
I'm a Christian and would have no problem voting for a non-Christian candidate 15 34.88%
I'm a Christian and would never vote for an agnostic, atheist or non-Christian candidate 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM

184 posts, read 1,546,008 times

Advertisements

Inspired by another member's post in another thread:

How much is your vote influenced by a candidate's religion, as compared to what your personal beliefs are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,895,098 times
I am a christian, but would vote for whoever I thought would be best.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM

358 posts, read 1,001,276 times
Ditto Justin. Since my personal beliefs are based on MY understanding of MY Christianity, I would not necessarily vote for a Christian whose beliefs differed from mine nor would I NOT vote for a "non-Christian" whose values echoed mine. Confused? Good, my job is done here!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,809,736 times
I understand what you are getting at, but your options here aren't really neutral. Where's the:

I am a non-theist and would never vote for a Christian.

and

I am a Christian and would have no problem voting for a non-theist.

There's probably other options I am not thinking of.
(I am an agnostic myself, BTW)

Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,625,116 times
"Honesty" - the New/Old Religion....

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM

184 posts, read 1,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I understand what you are getting at, but your options here aren't really neutral. Where's the:

I am a non-theist and would never vote for a Christian.

and

I am a Christian and would have no problem voting for a non-theist.

There's probably other options I am not thinking of.
(I am an agnostic myself, BTW)
I know ... I realized after I posted the poll that my wording probably wasn't optimal. I did originally think of using the "Christian/no problem voting for a non-theist" phrase BUT realized that it would then leave open the question of whether that person would or wouldn't vote for a candidate who DID believe in a deity other than the Christian god. Would the Christian who would vote for a non-theist also vote for a candidate who was Jewish? Muslim? Buddhist? Shinto? Hindu? Wiccan? Maybe yes ... maybe no. So rather than muddy the waters further by adding subcategories to the "I am a Christian and.." answers, I consolidated them.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 PM

71 posts, read 208,562 times
A politician's religion won't affect whether or not I'll vote for him/her. That's up to them, and not something I see as a big deal. However, when a politician intends to use religion to influence politics, we have a problem. Founded by Christians or not, that is not what our Constitution allows for. Freedom of religion means that people should not be held under the same moral overarch as a member of a faith they don't take part in. Mike Huckabee would have been a lot more appealing to me if he hadn't been so heavily on record (as much as he tried to deny it towards the end of his run) with regards to using their faith as an instrument by which to affect the American political landscape.

I'd vote for a scientologist if I thought he/she were best suited to sit in political office. And I'd still consider his/her beliefs ridiculous.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 AM

510 posts, read 1,461,363 times
Where is the:

"I am a non-practising Christian who would vote for anybody qualified as long as they are not a Muslim" box?

Cuz we KNOW lots of people would check it. I'm just sayin...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,802,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Where is the:

"I am a non-practising Christian who would vote for anybody qualified as long as they are not a Muslim" box?

Cuz we KNOW lots of people would check it. I'm just sayin...
I would vote for any Muslim as long as they pledged to leave their religious views to their personal lives and out of government. Same with Catholics, Christians, Jews and Mormons. LEAVE IT AT HOME! The USA is and should be a SECULAR country. Religion has NO place in public life of the country. None.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,309,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would vote for any Muslim as long as they pledged to leave their religious views to their personal lives and out of government. Same with Catholics, Christians, Jews and Mormons. LEAVE IT AT HOME! The USA is and should be a SECULAR country. Religion has NO place in public life of the country. None.
Do you oppose politicians, from both sides of the aisle, ending speeches with "and God Bless America"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections