Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM

491 posts, read 322,105 times

Advertisements

Nate Silver has just written an article explaining why he screwed up so badly on predicting Donald Trump's rise:

How I Acted Like A Pundit And Screwed Up On Donald Trump | FiveThirtyEight

I have long thought that Silver was over-rated. The far-left loved him in 2012, because he correctly predicted Electoral College outcome. (I also think that the far-left loved Silver because he is himself very liberal.) Yet, Silver really received way too much credit for his 2012 predictions. Independent of Silver's analysis, the Real Clear Politics averages of state polls correctly predicted which way 49 out of the 50 states would vote in 2012. In Florida, Romney had a razor-thin lead; thus, it was hardly shocking when Obama won a narrow victory in that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM

I can't edit the thread titles, but I obviously meant to say "Almighty" instead of "Almight." Sorry for the mistake.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:06 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,495,685 times
He apologized and accepted blame. No matter what I think about him I will give him credit for that. We will see if he refrains from being a pundit and sticks to numbers or not.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,019,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Nate Silver has just written an article explaining why he screwed up so badly on predicting Donald Trump's rise:

How I Acted Like A Pundit And Screwed Up On Donald Trump | FiveThirtyEight

I have long thought that Silver was over-rated. The far-left loved him in 2012, because he correctly predicted Electoral College outcome. (I also think that the far-left loved Silver because he is himself very liberal.) Yet, Silver really received way too much credit for his 2012 predictions. Independent of Silver's analysis, the Real Clear Politics averages of state polls correctly predicted which way 49 out of the 50 states would vote in 2012. In Florida, Romney had a razor-thin lead; thus, it was hardly shocking when Obama won a narrow victory in that state.
He is not "very liberal". 538 is owned by a big media corporation and him and his collegues are serving their financial overlords. He is a corporatist who support the status quo.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:18 PM

16,571 posts, read 15,406,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He apologized and accepted blame
Apologize? You apologize when you are late to the party not when you expect the political world to dance to your tune.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,101,423 times
Well, score one for the folks who say it is science, it has to be right. No. This is a fallible world, with fallible people. Silver acknowledged as much and about human bias; to the point of even how statistical formulas, models and coding have bias introduced by the....human. It is impossible to not show bias, not that bias is even an inherently bad thing as some on here always condemn.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:08 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 4,002,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
He is not "very liberal". 538 is owned by a big media corporation and him and his collegues are serving their financial overlords. He is a corporatist who support the status quo.
Liberals are corporatists. Wall Street went 2-1 Obama over McCain, and they're all in, Hillary:

Financial Sector Gives Hillary Clinton a Boost - WSJ

Communism as beneficiary of finance capital is nothing new. Paul Warburg delivered V. I. Lenin's 1917 revolution into St. Petersburg, by way of Zurich, on board the notorious "sealed train" of $10 million in gold.

Nate is a leftist, as is the rest of NYT's crew.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Well, score one for the folks who say it is science, it has to be right. No. This is a fallible world, with fallible people. Silver acknowledged as much and about human bias; to the point of even how statistical formulas, models and coding have bias introduced by the....human. It is impossible to not show bias, not that bias is even an inherently bad thing as some on here always condemn.
I get what you are saying.

I guess my problem is not only with Silver, but with the liberals who treated him as a near-messiah after his correct 2012 prediction. IMO, the lavish praise likely went to Silver's head.

As I indicated earlier, Silver was hardly Nostradamus when he predicted the 332-206 Obama victory, as the polls correctly predicted the outcome in 49 states (with Romney being the slight favorite in Florida). Yet, many liberals seemed to treat him with an absurd amount of reverence.

And being wrong on Trump getting the nomination was not the only terrible prediction he made, either. In 2014, he predicted that Greg Orman (who lost by double digits) would defeat Pat Roberts in the Kansas Senate race. And this year, he pegged Hillary Clinton as a huge favorite to win the Michigan Democratic Presidential Primary.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:47 PM

952 posts, read 522,204 times
Quote:
I get what you are saying.

I guess my problem is not only with Silver, but with the liberals who treated him as a near-messiah after his correct 2012 prediction. IMO, the lavish praise likely went to Silver's head.

As I indicated earlier, Silver was hardly Nostradamus when he predicted the 332-206 Obama victory, as the polls correctly predicted the outcome in 49 states (with Romney being the slight favorite in Florida). Yet, many liberals seemed to treat him with an absurd amount of reverence.

And being wrong on Trump getting the nomination was not the only terrible prediction he made, either. In 2014, he predicted that Greg Orman (who lost by double digits) would defeat Pat Roberts in the Kansas Senate race. And this year, he pegged Hillary Clinton as a huge favorite to win the Michigan Democratic Presidential Primary.
Could be worse...could be Carl 'Ham' Rove with Megyn Kelly jumping down your throat on election night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lJ3tfQFpc

Silver's predictions are based on numbers and trends that don't necessarily reflect what is going on in the voter's minds on that day. The American populace can be fairly unpredictable...

Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,375,792 times
Quote:
I can't edit the thread titles, but I obviously meant to say "Almighty" instead of "Almight." Sorry for the mistake.
The Almighty forgives you, two Hail Mary's and an Our Father will do.

Now go in peace.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections