Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,323,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
The American populace can be fairly unpredictable...
Most crazy people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
He was right in 2008 as well. NOBODY expected Donald Trump to do well. And by normal rules of politics he shouldn't of been able to. What you are is basically the person who cherry picks the once instance someone is wrong to justify why they should never be trusted.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Respect and success for someone like Silver is based on accuracy of his predictions. He's previously been quite accurate and now he flops so how much to value his future predictions. I think you consider his analysis as one of the best in his field but things can always change. I certainly never thought Trump would run the table on the Republican side either.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:52 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Respect and success for someone like Silver is based on accuracy of his predictions. He's previously been quite accurate and now he flops so how much to value his future predictions. I think you consider his analysis as one of the best in his field but things can always change. I certainly never thought Trump would run the table on the Republican side either.
Neither did I honestly. I expected the election to run normally and almost everyone to drop out before South Carolina though as well. I'm not so sure he would have won had the GOP rallied around one alternative.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
I give Silver credit for falling on his sword. He is about the only one who has admitted they completely misjudged this election.

It's obvious the MSM, and other idiotic pollsters have no intention of doing so.

What they all got, and continue to get wrong, is the anger of the electorate towards status quo career politicians, the political parties, and the "elite". All these overpaid, pampered, insulated, and self important pundits & pollsters still see the election in terms of Red vs Blue, White vs non-White, etc etc etc. Until they figure this, expect continued derangement.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:14 AM

26,488 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
He was right in 2008 as well. NOBODY expected Donald Trump to do well. And by normal rules of politics he shouldn't of been able to. What you are is basically the person who cherry picks the once instance someone is wrong to justify why they should never be trusted.
The RCP simple average of most recent polls outperformed him in 2008. Wow. He was so right in 2008, a simple average of polls beat all of his analysis. Praise him to the high heavens.

You know who did expect Trump do well, the RCP simple average of polls. Nate Silver put all of this thought and analysis to tell us why the polls would be wrong. If anything they were wrong to the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
I have long thought that Silver was over-rated.
He is overrated. Since 2008 when he gained fame, you would have actually out-performed Nate Silver if you just took the RCP average - which is just a simple average of recent polls. People forget, he was less accurate in the 2012 primaries as well than just looking at simple average of polls.

So all of his analysis, weighting of polls, compensation for bias within polls did squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
He is not "very liberal".
He started analyzing the polls, because he was an Obama fan.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:27 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,152 times
Right there, is where human bias gets introduced. Hypothesis, then modeling. As the saying goes, even a broke clock is right twice a day.
[quote=michiganmoon;44124807]The RCP simple average of most recent polls outperformed him in 2008. Wow. He was so right in 2008, a simple average of polls beat all of his analysis. Praise him to the high heavens.

You know who did expect Trump do well, the RCP simple average of polls. Nate Silver put all of this thought and analysis to tell us why the polls would be wrong. If anything they were wrong to the opposite side.

He is overrated. Since 2008 when he gained fame, you would have actually out-performed Nate Silver if you just took the RCP average - which is just a simple average of recent polls. People forget, he was less accurate in the 2012 primaries as well than just looking at simple average of polls.

So all of his analysis, weighting of polls, compensation for bias within polls did squat.

He started analyzing the polls, because he was an Obama fan.[/QUOTE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections