Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times

Advertisements

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/free-c...195300355.html

Not just a simple argument that "Eurpoe Does it" as you can see from this article. Plenty of issues and it doesn't even address the already incurred promise/cost of pensions to current and retired teachers that are partially paid for through new tuitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times
Require civil service for two years after high school then they should have their free college.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

Not just a simple argument that "Eurpoe Does it" as you can see from this article. Plenty of issues and it doesn't even address the already incurred promise/cost of pensions to current and retired teachers that are partially paid for through new tuitions.
Good points, but Europe doesn't do it. University education is not free for everyone, but it is free for the cream of the crop.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

I'm not that familiar with Bernie Sanders platform, so I went to his site to look it up. Your post is not really clear as to which lies you are poking holes in. Can you elaborate?

As for what I saw on his website, it says "tuition free", not "free tuition". Nuanced? Yes, but it seems to indicate that he realizes that someone has to pay for it, and he goes on to make his case (agree or not, that's up to you) that there are benefits to society, and that the cost is justified.

I'm not sure I agree with him, but I do like to challenge posts like yours. You are claiming to blow holes in something, but haven't ID'd the holes....

My general stance:
-First two years of college (associates degree equivalent) should be an extension of high-school, and those who demonstrate aptitude, work ethic, and results (grades) should be able to knock this out as an extension of their public education. These are the easy courses, and could be done for less cost.
-People who can't afford the rest of their 4-year degree can earn it by performing public service. 1 year of public service = 1 year of public (state level) college.
-100% agree with Bernie on reducing the loan rates. While I can accept the argument that people should pay for their college, I can NOT accept that they should pay higher rates than what someone pays for their ski-boat. Tuition loans should be either interest free, or VERY LOW interest, but only if paid back on time.
-We should look into businesses paying part of their loaded employment costs to support public schools and to relieve the increasing cost. They are the "customers" of these schools, so they should pay some of the load. Right now the corporate welfare is out of control (and a much bigger problem, and expense than social welfare.)

Old 03-07-2016, 12:53 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
I am cool paying high taxes. Already pay close to 30% in taxes and doesn't do much. It's only going to cover people going back to tech/trade schools, state community colleges, and state bachelor schools. Then school's can offset the cost in their advance degrees and would force private schools to lower tuition, optimistic on that.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,551,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am cool paying high taxes. Already pay close to 30% in taxes and doesn't do much. It's only going to cover people going back to tech/trade schools, state community colleges, and state bachelor schools. Then school's can offset the cost in their advance degrees and would force private schools to lower tuition, optimistic on that.
That may be good for you to pay higher and higher taxes, but millions of Americans cannot afford to. What are they supposed to with a tax bill they cannot afford? See, I don't see a single magic bullet plan to alleviate all college debt.

I think a more doable plan is to provide some partial solutions to help as many as possible.

For example:

* Combined state/federal plans to make Junior College tuition free. Substantially less money involved and kids can get two years out of the way before taking out loans.

* Making it mandatory for colleges to offer more work study jobs to defray books & tuition. My daughter attended a JC in California and thru this and full time summer work on campus she paid fully for her education.

* Being able to roll up school loans into a mortgage. The amounts can remain separate, but by allowing the total to be used in one payment will cut monthly payments substantially. If the house sells, the seller will retain the loan amount under a new loan so it isn't passed on to the purchaser.

Things like this to help as many as possible afford college.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
I am actually okay paying higher taxes for higher education; as well as healthcare. Only gripe is will Affirmitive Action still be in place.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:43 AM

135 posts, read 149,539 times
This entire thread is BS. The basic premise of the plan is eliminate tuition first and debt can be eliminated later. None of his plans can happen overnight. That article literally spent a paragraph mentioning the tax on Wall St speculation, which can haul in a lot of money.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:59 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
This entire thread is BS. The basic premise of the plan is eliminate tuition first and debt can be eliminated later. None of his plans can happen overnight. That article literally spent a paragraph mentioning the tax on Wall St speculation, which can haul in a lot of money.
This "haul" from Wall Street speculation, also has the very real potential of destroying or significantly hurting the retirement and pre-tax savings for many millions of Americans. Not exactly some magic solution that we are talking about here, there are very serious trade-offs and consequences.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,917,416 times

Has anyone raised the question , need to have Jobs first to employ the college graduates....

TRUMP 2016

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections