Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,810,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Wrong.

The law doesn't describe most of real life accurately. It can't. Life it too complex. Language is inadequate. Think of classroom rules as an analogy. No disruptive behavior allowed. Well, you can't very well list every one of the trillion and more possible behaviors that could be disruptive, can you? He wasn't allowed to represent her campaign inside the polling places. He did.

Do I think this is a huge deal? No, but he was definitely trying to influence the election. A prosecutor looks at this and realizes that proving his case would be difficult at best, and it's not worth the resources to pursue it.

Ha, I love that...'wrong'. So that's your final answer? The law is clear on what is a violation and what isn't, story over. What you think or feel is no more relevant to the situation than whether or not you like broccoli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 03:51 PM

988 posts, read 689,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Ha, I love that...'wrong'. So that's your final answer? The law is clear on what is a violation and what isn't, story over. What you think or feel is no more relevant to the situation than whether or not you like broccoli.
He told a voter "pull the lever for Hillary" inside a polling place. Illegal.

Did Bill Clinton Break Massachusetts Voting Laws?

As far as distributing campaign material, I've read the statute several times and it does refer to written materials. So that would be a tougher sell. But I do think that a case could be made. You are not supposed to "circulate" campaign material inside a polling place. He himself could be construed as campaign material. Again, it's not a huge deal. The statute only calls for a twenty dollar fine. But he shouldn't have done it.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM

11,998 posts, read 13,027,606 times
State law says a person cannot "wear campaign buttons or identifying signage 150 feet from a polling station."

But having a former President hang around 3 polling stations with a megaphone and even going inside the polling stations is unprecedented and completely unheard of. He didn't need to wear campaign buttons or have visible signage for Hillary-He IS the visible signage.

Do you think voters didn't know who he was supporting or why he was there? I think it's very dirty and shows the Clinton camp is nervous as hell.

Remember, MA was VERY close.

Look at this County

Old 03-05-2016, 04:34 PM

24,279 posts, read 15,360,732 times
The problem must be the law In your state.

Texas has signs that the judge places before the poll opens that indicate the distance from the door. We also have a law that states staff, voters and poll watchers in the polling place. No candidates or their surrogates.

The election judge is from the party of the county official who won the election. The alternate is from the other party.
The clerks are from both parties.

Any election official at that polling place could have called the cops.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM

35,892 posts, read 21,353,043 times
Omg he shook hands!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahe was the president of the United States even the republican kids or people would want to shake his hand. It's an honor .

Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 PM

988 posts, read 689,911 times
Tinytrump, what was he doing making the rounds of polling places on election day, if not trying to scrounge up last minute votes? C'mon now. You weren't born yesterday, were you?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:27 PM

952 posts, read 522,928 times
OOOOORRRRR, it could just be a massive conspiracy on his part to keep Hillary at home and not gone every day. HHHMMM....

Old 03-05-2016, 05:29 PM

952 posts, read 522,928 times
But having a former President hang around 3 polling stations with a megaphone and even going inside the polling stations is unprecedented and completely unheard of. He didn't need to wear campaign buttons or have visible signage for Hillary-He IS the visible signage.

Sounds like a case for the SCOTUS for me....

Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,697,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post

Sounds like a case for the SCOTUS for me....
The state already said he didn't do anything illegal. I'm doubting the SCOTUS will be getting involved.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:38 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,274,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Wrong.

The law doesn't describe most of real life accurately. It can't. Life it too complex. Language is inadequate. Think of classroom rules as an analogy. No disruptive behavior allowed. Well, you can't very well list every one of the trillion and more possible behaviors that could be disruptive, can you? He wasn't allowed to represent her campaign inside the polling places. He did.

Do I think this is a huge deal? No, but he was definitely trying to influence the election. A prosecutor looks at this and realizes that proving his case would be difficult at best, and it's not worth the resources to pursue it.
Will you just stop acting like a mirror-image of a Right Wingnut with his/her tin-foil hat on so tight that the antenna is pointing to Alpha Centauri? You give Bernie supporters a bad name! Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections