Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times

Advertisements

Certainly she wasn't famous BECAUSE of Bill.

Still, there's no doubt that her career (and her sales! Even the greatest of thinkers likes dough) was given a serious boost when she was selected as poet laureate. I don't know if she was close with the Clintons before, but she certainly was during and after. To think she would toss her weight behind another candidate is fairly silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post

By the way, I mentioned that my dad was a trained physician from the old school. I don't ever remember him beating his chest about the lives he saved and, believe me, there were many.
Well I do apologize for the chest thumping, I was just taken back by the tone of the conversation. It seems to have gotten a lot more civil since then. To satisfy my own curiosity, I had asked a few of the other doctors and nurses in the OR last night if they had heard of her prior to the Clinton administration. Only 1 person said yes, and she was a nurse. lol.

Unfortunately, there are many Pulitzer prize nominees of whom I have probably never heard. There's just not enough time in the day.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:58 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
LML, I don't know what they are teaching in elementary school these days as I am 38 years old, but when I WAS in elementary school, it wasn't Maya Angelou. I had more important things to study. There was no time for such things.

I mean, am I the only one who sees the self righteous, self congratulatory, pseudo intellectual tone of some of the people in this thread??? I'll counter with a little self righteousness of my own. I use my knowledge to save the lives of people just like you. I use my knowledge to save the lives of people just like the people you love. What do you do with YOUR knowledge?
I don't think I specified "elementary school." But I would hope that anyone who has had a high school level literature class would have had at least some introduction to poetry. Perhaps you consider things of beauty, such as poetry and art, of little importance. I would suggest to you that it is just such belief that is responsible for such uncivilized behavior as is seen throughout the country these days. We have lost the ability to develop our finer senses. As for what I do with MY knowledge. I teach people who grow up to become, among other things, doctors.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:29 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times
eskmd - here's another Pulitzer Prize winner you may not know about:

New York Times Pulitzer Prize winning Stalin propagandist Walter Duranty.

Quote:
He said that the same logic that led to the overthrow of the Czarist regime must inevitably lead to the destruction of these people, whom he numbered at 5,000,000... He said that these people had to be "liquidated or melted in the hot fire of exile and labor into the proletarian mass". Duranty claimed that the Siberian labor camps were a means of giving individuals a chance to rejoin Soviet society but also said that for those who could not accept the system, "the final fate of such enemies is death."
Walter Duranty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I don't think I specified "elementary school." But I would hope that anyone who has had a high school level literature class would have had at least some introduction to poetry. Perhaps you consider things of beauty, such as poetry and art, of little importance. I would suggest to you that it is just such belief that is responsible for such uncivilized behavior as is seen throughout the country these days. We have lost the ability to develop our finer senses. As for what I do with MY knowledge. I teach people who grow up to become, among other things, doctors.
Amen, and thank you!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 PM

21 posts, read 88,366 times
I see some of this stuff written and my first instinct is to get pissed but then i have to remember in this idiocracy many of you revel in the ability to be ignorant. I don't care who Maya Angelou endorses but to denigrate what she has done because your school experience was less than admirable is ignorant, unfortunate, and a testament who you turned out to be.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townin View Post
I see some of this stuff written and my first instinct is to get pissed but then i have to remember in this idiocracy many of you revel in the ability to be ignorant. I don't care who Maya Angelou endorses but to denigrate what she has done because your school experience was less than admirable is ignorant, unfortunate, and a testament who you turned out to be.
Nonsense. That is like me saying your school is "less than admirable" because you don't know anything about mitochondrial DNA or blood gas coefficients. Does it make you more ignorant?

LML, I thought you said this Maya Angelou stuff was supposed to make people more civil toward each other. Is this poster the example of that?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Nonsense. That is like me saying your school is "less than admirable" because you don't know anything about mitochondrial DNA or blood gas coefficients. Does it make you more ignorant?

On the issue of mitochondrial DNA and blood gas coefficients, yes it would make someone "more ignorant." Ignorance is different than stupidity. Ignorance can be cured.

Now, if I MADE wrong comments about mitochondrial DNA and someone called me on it, and still pressed on as if I did know about mitochondrial DNA even though I obviously had never..... well.... then.... that starts going beyond "ignorant....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd
LML, I thought you said this Maya Angelou stuff was supposed to make people more civil toward each other. Is this poster the example of that?
Maybe people would have been more civil if you didn't denigrate her career to downplay her endorsement?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
eskmd...and others who have not yet read it....Please just read "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" and just a few of Maya's poems. Just please read them. I truly want you to understand why her work is so admired and why it upsets people to have her dismissed as a political shill. I think you will find you have also given yourself a real gift when you read this book. Please let me hear if you read it.

You know, I wonder if people think that John Kennedy was responsible for the career of Robert Frost because of the poem "Dedication" that Frost wrote for and read at the Kennedy inauguration?

Last edited by LML; 02-01-2008 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
On the issue of mitochondrial DNA and blood gas coefficients, yes it would make someone "more ignorant." Ignorance is different than stupidity. Ignorance can be cured.
It does not make you an ignorant person, it just makes you ignorant about a certain subject matter, which has been my assertion all along.
Quote:
Now, if I MADE wrong comments about mitochondrial DNA and someone called me on it, and still pressed on as if I did know about mitochondrial DNA even though I obviously had never..... well.... then.... that starts going beyond "ignorant....."
There is a difference between fact and opinion. The facts of mitochondrial DNA are concrete. You CAN be wrong about it. At what point in ones career one has "made it" is opinion, and you can argue your point without vitriol and name calling.

Quote:
Maybe people would have been more civil if you didn't denigrate her career to downplay her endorsement?
My intent was only to downplay her endorsement as a given, not to denegrate her career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections