Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Maybe this should be moved to the History forum, "When did American Public Schools start to go downhill"
ROTFL! I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I would ask you the same question. lol. If you can tell me with a straight face that she was a houshold name BEFORE the Clinton administration, I will concede.
You really HAVE to be kidding. I am 63 years old and had gone to see her in person and had read her poetry and books long before I heard the name of Clinton. What in the world are they teaching in public schools these days if people don't realize what a famous poet this woman has been for decades?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You really HAVE to be kidding. I am 63 years old and had gone to see her in person and had read her poetry and books long before I heard the name of Clinton. What in the world are they teaching in public schools these days if people don't realize what a famous poet this woman has been for decades?
I bet many of those who don't know that Maya Angelou is an icon in American literature could tell you every detail about the lives of Britney and Paris.

They are so bent on demonizing Hillary that they will trash anyone who sides with her, whether they know Angelou or not. It's a sad commentary.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Angelou was a fellow traveller with Malcom X. That's all I need to know about her. I don't need to stir a pile of poo to know it stinks.

Last edited by Reactionary; 01-30-2008 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: simplify

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Believe me, I would gladly put my education level against anyone here. I have 2 doctorates. One is an M.D.. And no, to my knowledge I never heard of the woman before the Clintons. I think I may be a little more secure in my knowledge than some of the people on this thread. I don't need to act superior in order to make people think I know what I am talking about. I don't treat people disrespectfully just because they were trained in a field other than medicine.

So cricketfan, I don't really know much about Britney or Paris, but if you want to know about neurofibromatosis, I'm your man.

LML, I don't know what they are teaching in elementary school these days as I am 38 years old, but when I WAS in elementary school, it wasn't Maya Angelou. I had more important things to study. There was no time for such things.

I mean, am I the only one who sees the self righteous, self congratulatory, pseudo intellectual tone of some of the people in this thread??? I'll counter with a little self righteousness of my own. I use my knowledge to save the lives of people just like you. I use my knowledge to save the lives of people just like the people you love. What do you do with YOUR knowledge?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,298 times
Quote:
Believe me, I would gladly put my education level against anyone here. I have 2 doctorates. One is an M.D.. And no, to my knowledge I never heard of the woman before the Clintons. I think I may be a little more secure in my knowledge than some of the people on this thread. I don't need to act superior in order to make people think I know what I am talking about. I don't treat people disrespectfully just because they were trained in a field other than medicine.

So cricketfan, I don't really know much about Britney or Paris, but if you want to know about neurofibromatosis, I'm your man.

LML, I don't know what they are teaching in elementary school these days as I am 38 years old, but when I WAS in elementary school, it wasn't Maya Angelou. I had more important things to study. There was no time for such things.

I mean, am I the only one who sees the self righteous, self congratulatory, pseudo intellectual tone of some of the people in this thread??? I'll counter with a little self righteousness of my own. I use my knowledge to save the lives of people just like you. I use my knowledge to save the lives of people just like the people you love. What do you do with YOUR knowledge?
There is no need to be defensive in ignorance of American literary icons any more than I need to be defensive in my ignorance about neurofibromatosis. My dad was a brilliant oncologist on the East Coast before he retired and I would also forgive him for not having had time to do alot of other reading beside medical research journals. I know from my own family experience that a medical career can be all-consuming. But I don't think he would be as irritated as you are because I criticized those who would discredit Angelou only because she supported a candidate they didn't like.

By the way, I mentioned that my dad was a trained physician from the old school. I don't ever remember him beating his chest about the lives he saved and, believe me, there were many.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:

Maya Angelou wouldn't be elementary school fare. I taught her works to 17-year-olds when I did a unit on African-American literature. Demeaning her work and, thus, the African-American voice and experience just to insult the Clintons is really low.

As for what I did/do with my knowledge, I was a teacher and, previously, a writer and an editor. I taught American and British Literature and used those works to take very impoverished young people (who only left the county to pick vegetables) to worlds and centuries and ideologies they previously couldn't imagine. Yes, I've run into medical types who thought this was useless but I disagree intensely.

You made a snide remark about an award-winning and admired author without, apparently, knowing anything about her.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Maya Angelou (former national poet laureate) has written reflections on Hillary. Here's a snippet:

"You may write me down in history

With your bitter, twisted lies,

You may tread me in the very dirt

But still, like dust, I'll rise."

For the complete reflection (and the entire article), here's the link:

Maya Angelou's poem in praise of Hillary | World | The Observer

Odd that the British media is covering this and not our own.
Desperately scrambling to publically offset the Kennedy endorsements, one would think that Billary would've come up with more heavy hitters than Maya Angelou and Maxine Waters. Where is Slick Willy's influence? These two are trumped by Oprah alone. These obviously are pitty endorsements, brought on by Billary's begging in the face of increasing observations that her head-to-head confrontations with the far superior candidate Obama only highlight her inferiority.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
I don't believe there was a formal endorsement nor was one requested. Maya Angelou wrote a poem for her and was then interviewed.

Does anyone read the linked articles?! The article was printed BEFORE the Kennedy endorsements.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Quote:
I believe you are probably a smidge too young to have studied her in "Contemporary Lit" in high school or college. She was most famous and nominated for a lot of awards in the 1970s. When I was studying her stuff in school, you would have been about 3 or 4 years old.

But, as everyone else has stated, she was quite famous without the help of the Clintons. You don't get nominated for a Pulitzer or the National Book Award unless you are really really good at what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections