Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM

22,279 posts, read 19,632,203 times

Advertisements

A Federal Judge panel in Virginia struck down the current VA Congressional map ruling that the map violates the 14th Ammendment by packing African Americans into one district (Bobby Scott of VA-3)

The current VA Congressional delegation is made up of 8 Republicans and 3 Democrats despite the fact Virginia is a swing state that is trending more and more Democratic. Only one district (VA-10 which is an open race) is competitive and that district was made more Republican during the last redistricting.

The court basically ruled that the VA Legislature stretched out the Richmond based district far more than it should have in order to pack as many African Americans into the district as possible.

Quote:
A panel of federal judges in Virginia struck down the state’s congressional map on Tuesday, arguing that the GOP-controlled state legislature’s decision to pack African-Americans into the 3rd Congressional District, which is represented by Democratic Rep. Bobby Scott, was motivated purely by race — a violation of the 14th Amendment.
“[W]e find that Plaintiffs have shown race predominated,” the opinion states. “We find that the Third Congressional District cannot survive review under the exacting standard of strict scrutiny.”

The existing map will remain in effect for the 2014 elections, the court ruled, ordering the state legislature to redraw the map by April 1, 2015.

Read more: Court strikes down Va. congressional map - Tarini Parti - POLITICO.com

Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,858,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
A Federal Judge panel in Virginia struck down the current VA Congressional map ruling that the map violates the 14th Ammendment by packing African Americans into one district (Bobby Scott of VA-3)

The current VA Congressional delegation is made up of 8 Republicans and 3 Democrats despite the fact Virginia is a swing state that is trending more and more Democratic. Only one district (VA-10 which is an open race) is competitive and that district was made more Republican during the last redistricting.

The court basically ruled that the VA Legislature stretched out the Richmond based district far more than it should have in order to pack as many African Americans into the district as possible.

Read more: Court strikes down Va. congressional map - Tarini Parti - POLITICO.com

conservative white men drew those districts, correct?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,492,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I wonder why some people insist on bringing race into almost every discussion? When can we just discuss and debate without having color, race, religion or gender inserted? yes, this subject happens to deal with districting and race, but what does who drew up the district have to do with anything and how are you going to determine it one way or the other?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,110,844 times
Control the state legislature after the 2020 census, and you will have the right to do the same thing; with the same Constitutional Judicial oversight. Focus more on the way of the Constitution and less on the racial makeup of the country. Or be considered racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wonder why some people insist on bringing race into almost every discussion? When can we just discuss and debate without having color, race, religion or gender inserted? yes, this subject happens to deal with districting and race, but what does who drew up the district have to do with anything and how are you going to determine it one way or the other?

In this case the map was thrown out on the basis of race, so I think it does have some standing for discussion. With that being said, I think partisan gerrymandering was the reason behind the maps itself. Race may have been secondary and more of a byproduct of the map. NOVA tends to get most of the attention for Virginia's Democratic trend, however metro Richmond and Norfolk have also seen a sharp Democratic turn.

The GOP Assembly basically stretched out the district in order to pack as many Democrats as possible in one district as a way to make the surrounding districts more Republican as a way to help protect against the Democratic trend in the area. In doing so they stretched out the district and put as many African Americans in the district as possible and the courts ruled that as packing and a Violation of the 14th Amendment.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In this case the map was thrown out on the basis of race, so I think it does have some standing for discussion. With that being said, I think partisan gerrymandering was the reason behind the maps itself. Race may have been secondary and more of a byproduct of the map. NOVA tends to get most of the attention for Virginia's Democratic trend, however metro Richmond and Norfolk have also seen a sharp Democratic turn.

The GOP Assembly basically stretched out the district in order to pack as many Democrats as possible in one district as a way to make the surrounding districts more Republican as a way to help protect against the Democratic trend in the area. In doing so they stretched out the district and put as many African Americans in the district as possible and the courts ruled that as packing and a Violation of the 14th Amendment.

to diminish the black vote.

again, these districts were drawn by conservative white men to intentionally marginalize black voters, simple as that.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:

why do you think the conservative white men who drew up those districts packed as many blacks in as possible? if the map was neutral, the gop loses congressional seats.

by intentionally rigging the map, the white conservative male purposely marginalizes the black vote.

and you'll find white conservative males on here who'll defend it.

no wonder why nobody except white males votes for the gop these days.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,934,651 times
Quote:
I know you aren't really this obtuse. Do you think that blacks drew this district to marginalize themselves? Come on, Nita. When it is clearly about race, at least have the integrity to admit it.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I know you aren't really this obtuse. Do you think that blacks drew this district to marginalize themselves? Come on, Nita. When it is clearly about race, at least have the integrity to admit it.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt in that the drawing of the map wasn't done for soley race reasons. I think it happened to be a secondary result from maps drawn in an uber-partisan nature.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,293,176 times
Wow, no African Americans live outside of the Richmond area? I didn't know that about VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections