Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,799,180 times

Advertisements

This will be fun to watch as it plays itself out!

He calls himself the candidate who isn't a ``wholly owned subsidiary'' of investment banks, decries large executive-pay packages and says the party needs to shift its focus from Wall Street to Main Street.

In doing so, he threatens the uneasy if effective coalition Republicans have counted on for three decades: abortion opponents and other social-issue activists supplying foot soldiers, proponents of tax cuts and business-friendly regulatory policies putting up the money and getting the biggest economic benefits.

The Wall Street Journal editorial page has repeatedly attacked Huckabee in recent weeks, and the National Review magazine warned Republicans against committing ``Huckacide.''

``These guys don't like Huckabee because he's not one of them,'' said Ed Rollins, the Huckabee campaign chairman. ``They have enjoyed the reins of power a long time, and he's a threat.''

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20071227/pl_bloomberg/aw4kadle4bu;_ylt=AsuHX2tMZdaKWgVUodJxjvwDW7oF (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM

143 posts, read 652,291 times
If he gets the nomination, the Republicans are done.

Fiscal conservatives won't vote for him becuase he spends and taxes like any Democrat.

Moderates won't vote for him becuase he won't shutup about Jesus.

Imigration conservatives won't vote for him because he loves illegals.

The same holy-rollers who gave the GOP a boost in '04 will sink the party if they vote him in on the Primary. If he does manage to win in the general, it will be no different than having a Democrat in the Whitehouse anyways.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
My reaction to this is "I wonder how the folks who think all Republican candidates but Paul are the same" will respond?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My reaction to this is "I wonder how the folks who think all Republican candidates but Paul are the same" will respond?
Ha! I support Ron Paul , but even I'm getting tired of hearing his name brought into every discussion.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,202,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
(chuckling) I am wondering how Huckabee will respond to being "Pauled"

Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post

Fiscal conservatives won't vote for him becuase he spends and taxes like any Democrat.

The same holy-rollers who gave the GOP a boost in '04 will sink the party if they vote him in on the Primary. If he does manage to win in the general, it will be no different than having a Democrat in the Whitehouse anyways.
You're right but no need to gloat.

I think this is why the Democrat news media loves him. They want him to get the Republican nomination.

Wake up, Iowa!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM

For the record, I'm a fiscal conservative. I don't know who I would vote for if Huckabee won the Primary. The only Democrat I would want to cast a vote for is Biden, and he has no shot. I guess I just wouldn't have a candidate .

Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,313,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post

Second that...

Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,195 times
Huckabee is getting a lot of liberal media support. Usually they would attack anyone who speaks of religion as much as Huckabee has, but he has been given somewhat of a pass. They are trying to set up the GOP to fail, and getting Huckabee in as the Republican nominee is the perfect plot. First, he's very likely unelectable in the general election. Second, if he were to get elected, he's a big spender, likes taxes, likes illegal immigrants, the perfect person to ensure a few basics that the Dems like will happen whether they get elected or if it goes to Huckabee.

My feeling is Huckabee is going to crash as quickly as he climbed. I can only hope so.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,875,496 times
Like I said, most of the Republican's are just pro-life democrats, they want to spend, spend, and just when they can't possibly spend anymore... they spend more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections