Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,611,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Here we go with another round of Democrats predicting the demise of the Republican party. Seems like I heard this before....now, when was that? Wait, it was right before the Republicans took the House in 2010.
No one is predicting the demise of the GOP (yet), its about the electoral votes needed to win the Presidency. I have to agree with it; simply being a Dem puts you within a hairs breath of the White House in terms of electoral votes.

The GOP will continue to hold to the House due to the way districts are drawn, but thats about it. The Senate, like the POTUS are elections dominated major population areas.

Illinois (outside of Chicago and environs) for example is rather conservative (believe it or not)....so it has Republican House reps. However Chicago dominates the results in that state so it will keep sending electoral votes and Senators to the Dem side for the whole state.

NOVA skews the results of VA similarly.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,593,209 times
The country's political preferences go in cycles, at the moment the majority of the voting public is voting Democrat, sometime in the future that may swing around and the voting majority will vote Republican.
In 2016 IMO Democrats will retain power as the GOP has marginalized its base by going too extreme rightwing and not reflecting/representative of the wishes of the voting majority.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,050,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseman View Post
if you look at the electoral vote "floors" that each party is likely to start with, it's virtually impossible for the republicans to win the presidency right now.
bingo.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,130,749 times
the reason the republicans lost was because they elected a xenophobic, warmongering, arrogant candidate in 2012. I Strongly disliked obama but romney blew his shot with me and my family when he made his self deportation comments as well as the 47% video.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
the reason the republicans lost was because they elected a xenophobic, warmongering, arrogant candidate in 2012. I Strongly disliked obama but romney blew his shot with me and my family when he made his self deportation comments as well as the 47% video.
I did vote for him, feeling I had no choice, but the 47% really did hurt him. I don't know if I would say it cost him the election, but it certainly cost him a lot of votes. I know the Democrats want to believe the Republican party is terminally ill, but they really do need to accept Obama was given a second change, mainly because of a crappy opponent.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 AM

62 posts, read 68,874 times
If Texas continues to trend blue ................ it's over for the R's.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,382,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ringo View Post

Four urban areas in Texas trend blue (Austin, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas swings back and forth) with some of the huge, but sparsely populated border counties. How is this Texas trending blue. So tired of hearing this wishful thinking on the part of the Dems with no basis in fact. Check the electoral and popular votes from the last several national (Presidential) elections. No net change.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ringo View Post
Where are you getting the "blue" even trending from Texas? Just look at the elected representatives in Texas, from Senate, house, state and national? There is more than blue versus red than simple city Mayors and that is about the only offices that are even close to blue. Austin might be the big exception. It is probably bluer than anyplace else in Texas. Even then you have Austin and you have all the surrounding burbs, the same with Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. 20 years from now: who knows, but then 20 years from now California could swing back Red, no one can predict what will happen 2 decades later.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,611,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Four urban areas in Texas trend blue (Austin, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas swings back and forth) with some of the huge, but sparsely populated border counties. How is this Texas trending blue. So tired of hearing this wishful thinking on the part of the Dems with no basis in fact. Check the electoral and popular votes from the last several national (Presidential) elections. No net change.
If those four cities are the bulk of the voting populace for TX and reliably go blue from now on, TX may as well be a blue state.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
If those four cities are the bulk of the voting populace for TX and reliably go blue from now on, TX may as well be a blue state.
you are forgetting he said they flip, first of all and secondly, a huge number of voters in those metro areas live in the burbs. We all know people in the inner cities are not nearly as likely to vote as those in the surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.