Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If Romney loses Ohio, it will be almost impossible to win the election.
Ditto for Hussein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Yes, Ohio is such a declining rust-bucket state that has dwindling population and importance.

Not to mention a load of entitled union ogres who deserve to be dealt a loss. So, yeah, I hope the winner loses Ohio and Wisconsin to boot.

Really?

1. Ranks 7th in population.
2. 3 major metropolitan areas (4 if you count Toledo)
3. Ranks 3rd in manufacturing.
4. One of 6 battleground states with lower joblesness
5. Ohio is a huge test market. Especially Columbus.
6. A booming medical industry. Especially in Cleveland, and NE Ohio.
7. We also sit next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world. And Ohio recently got on board with the rest of the Great Lakes states, as well as Canada in agreeing not to pump the water out of the Great Lakes watershed to far away places like the desert southwest.

They aren't lying when they say "as Ohio goes so does the rest of the nation." They don't call Ohio "the heart of it all" for nothing.

Ohio isn't irrelevant by any means.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Here here! It's becoming ridiculous that one state cand decide the fate of millions.
It's not; 43 states are essentially offsetting each other (equally red and blue), making themselves irrelevent.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Really?

7. We also sit next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world. And Ohio recently got on board with the rest of the Great Lakes states, as well as Canada in agreeing not to pump the water out of the Great Lakes watershed to far away places like the desert southwest.

They aren't lying when they say "as Ohio goes so does the rest of the nation." They don't call Ohio "the heart of it all" for nothing.

Ever since Johnny Carson made Cleveland the but of his jokes ppl have dismissed Ohio and Cleveland. It might be a bit rusty, but I'd rather eat rust than dust. Enjoy your parched dry dust bowl southerns.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Ever since Johnny Carson made Cleveland the but of his jokes ppl have dismissed Ohio and Cleveland. It might be a bit rusty, but I'd rather eat rust than dust. Enjoy your parched dry dust bowl southerns.

Yep. But good things are happening in Cleveland! Now if our sports teams would get their s*** together!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,522 times
I kind of hope so to, then in 2016 there won't be so many ****ing ads all over every television show and website I visit.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
As a native Ohioan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
My parents live on the border near Ohio and they are currently having a natural gas boom... lots of new jobs, more activity there then we've ever seen. Just sayin.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Eh, Ohio embodies most of the country within its small borders...farmers, blue-collar union workers, students & professors, Fortune 500 companies, coalminers, military & medical workers, etc. That's pretty much what makes it the ultimate swing state. Plus the Presidential elections are the only time they ever get significant national attention...why not let em have it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Really?

I agree with all the above. I love Ohio and I also feel it is a good reflection of the country as a whole, there are all sorts, classes, types of people in the state and I am actually proud that our state is more independent in a political sense as there are not huge majorities of people unwilling to consider the other POV in Ohio like there are in other states like CA or here in GA where I live currently. I am planning a move back to the state. The only thing I didn't like during the political season were all the ads, they are funny the first time, but annoying after the 2nd and 3rd times.

The water quality in Ohio is heaven IMO compared to living in Atlanta where our water sources are always in danger. Also, there are a lot of new jobs in Ohio and I think it is on the upswing. Many of my former high school classmates who left the state and moved down south or out west are also coming back or are back already. Most to the Columbus area.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
LOL! I think you are simply joining the lying crowd of desperate Dems with that one! Notice we were pretty neutral toward the candidates in the thread.

It's simply a diss of Ohio. Sorry if you live there.
Really? Why don't you dig out a map that includes the electoral college votes, look at the ones that are solid D and solid R, and count the votes. After that, look at the swing states, and count up how many of them Romney will have to win to get to 270 votes if the D's win Ohio. It's not impossible, but it's not going to be easy.

Last edited by mb1547; 10-25-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,840,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
BTW,is it really good to have an area of the country on the decline deciding elections?
Well of course, nobody "decided" that so many rust belt states would be Swing States...but the fact that they are speaks to the internal political tug-of-war in states of that sort, with their erstwhile economic engines declining or moving elsewhere. The reason Ohio is always on the bubble is that it is a bellwether of so many other parts of the US, even if the population is quantitatively not strong. The composition of the ones who are left are very Purple.

Florida and Virginia are also the "Top Tier Swing States" and both of them have people swarming in by the thousands.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,840,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Ditto for Hussein.
Presuming you mean Obama, Ohio certainly would be a blow, but there are several likely scenarios that don't have him carrying the Buckeye State. Almost no likely outcomes lead to a Romney victory without Ohio, because the states he would need to pick up instead are more Blue than Ohio so if he lost OH, he would most likely lose them by more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections