Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,981 times

Advertisements

NYT ran an Op-Ed authored by James Dobson today . Apparently a meeting was held to discuss what actions to take if both parties nominate candidates who are pro-choice. The consensus being they will vote for a minor-party candidate. Forming a third party was also discussed but no agreement was reached. Shades of Ralph Nader. What goes around, comes around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/op...gewanted=print

Clips:

After two hours of deliberation, we voted on a resolution that can be summarized as follows: If neither of the two major political parties nominates an individual who pledges himself or herself to the sanctity of human life, we will join others in voting for a minor-party candidate. Those agreeing with the proposition were invited to stand. The result was almost unanimous.

The other issue discussed at length concerned the advisability of creating a third party if Democrats and Republicans do indeed abandon the sanctity of human life and other traditional family values. Though there was some support for the proposal, no consensus emerged.

Winning the presidential election is vitally important, but not at the expense of what we hold most dear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,456,071 times
Why would voting according to your convictions be spoiling? Being a Christian shouldn't mean that you "must" vote Republican. I don't see what the problem is. Personally, I'd be glad to see a third party emerge.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,582,155 times
threats from evangelicals! maybe they are starting to realize that the GOP has become a empty vessel for their political agenda and they are becoming less relevant.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
The Christian Conservatives will have to take a back seat when it comes to "spoilers." The Ron Paul folks have seen to that.

Any odds on how much of the late surge in Paul money is from the Clinton camp?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,140,047 times
From what I have read, on various sites, it appears that although some in the Christian right sector of the Republican Party, may feel they can't endorse any of the existing candidates, or in particular, one or more of the front runners, this is not necessarily the prevailing sentiment.

Others who identify as Christian Conservative, and vote Republican, are considering their options, including voting across party lines.

This is a serious issue for everyone: who to vote for, follow our conscious and identify a meaningful candidate.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,004,044 times
Hopefully.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,314,994 times
GOP has lost its way with corruption. Its nothing but a hollow shell of what it was, instead pushing for pointless wars, excessive unbalanced budgets, taxcuts for the rich only, pro amnesty, hypocritical and corrupt excuse for a party. At times I'm ashamed to be in the republican party, however there is no other party with enough support that appeals me.

I hope the evangelicals make a party. Hopefully that will force the other republicans and moderate democrats to make an independent party worth something.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,251,763 times
You have to keep in mind that both political parties are made up of multiple factions, often having agendas that are not in sync with each other.

From my perspective, the Republican Party has had four main support groups; Christian Conservatives, Wall St, smaller gov't and pro defense spending. As the Democratic Party learned when they held majority power for many years, the internal fighting and frustrations increase as time goes by and the hoped for changes don't fully materialize. Folks get disillusioned, and seek alternative routes to achieve their often laudable goals.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,835,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
NYT ran an Op-Ed authored by James Dobson today . Apparently a meeting was held to discuss what actions to take if both parties nominate candidates who are pro-choice. The consensus being they will vote for a minor-party candidate. Forming a third party was also discussed but no agreement was reached. Shades of Ralph Nader. What goes around, comes around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/op...gewanted=print

Clips:

After two hours of deliberation, we voted on a resolution that can be summarized as follows: If neither of the two major political parties nominates an individual who pledges himself or herself to the sanctity of human life, we will join others in voting for a minor-party candidate. Those agreeing with the proposition were invited to stand. The result was almost unanimous.

The other issue discussed at length concerned the advisability of creating a third party if Democrats and Republicans do indeed abandon the sanctity of human life and other traditional family values. Though there was some support for the proposal, no consensus emerged.

Winning the presidential election is vitally important, but not at the expense of what we hold most dear.

I agree with the quote at the end. I am completely disapointed and discouraged by the GOP candidates this year, other than Tom Tancredo. I am a Christian Conservative.

But at the same time, I know that if the Christians create a 3rd party for 2008, then the GOP nominee is TOAST and then we have the risk of "The Evil One" (I mean Hillary Clinton) being elected.

I think that when faced with that risk and all the HORRENDOUS consequences Americans would face with Hillary at the helm, I think a lot of Christian Conservatives will have to choose "the lesser of two evils". And anyone other than Hillary, Obama, or Edwards will be better for the USA.

Ps. I am also hearing a lot of talk that Christian Conservatives will either not vote or vote for a 3rd part candidate just so Hillary will be elected and then the GOP will be forced to produce better candidates (social and fiscal conservatives) and there will be a RAGE against Hillary in the next federal election because of all the damage Hillary would do.

I am not sure if it is worth it to let Hillary win and let her damage the USA a lot so that the GOP and Conservatives can re-take Congress and then give her the boot in 2013. It is a scary trade-off....

Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,601,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
threats from evangelicals! maybe they are starting to realize that the GOP has become a empty vessel for their political agenda and they are becoming less relevant.
Unfortunately, both parties remain relevant. I would love to see a viable third party, but they would have to overcome a lot. The two major parties do not want a third and will do anything to prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections