Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM

371 posts, read 443,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ryan: “Most of our debt in the future comes from our entitlement programs.”
Senior citizen: “Hey, (Garbled; Ryan continues to speak). I paid into that for 50 years, my unemployment and my Social Security and my Medicare, and now you’re gonna…”
At this point you hear the police who are dragging him out shouting, “on the ground, on the ground”.
Ryan then jokes, “I hope he’s taken his blood-pressure medication”.

The 71-year-old senior citizen was obviously unhappy about Ryan’s use of the word “entitlement” when he has paid, as all working people have, for the benefits he receives. It’s apparent that he went to the meeting to voice his opposition to that term being used; a view shared by many.

Ryan has a history of being booed and hissed at Town Hall meetings. He has told folks to leave and he progressed to having them arrested. Here’s a video by Moveon.org showing three other people arrested for asking about jobs at the same gathering:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Ryan realizes like most Republicans "and" Democrats that SS and Medicare will have to change in it's present form to remain solvent in the future. Democrats however like to demonize the right like they want to end it altogether when that simply isn't true.

The changes would only affect those 55 and younger and they aren't even on these programs yet. Those who are already on it are being brainwashed by the left that they are going to be affected by it and lose their benefits. That's how low the Democrats are stooping to vilify the right on this issue. They won't step up to the plate and tell the truth nor will they admit that they are lying for votes right now. They know as I said just like the Republicans that those programs will have to change in the "future" but afterall it is an election year and Obama and the Dems are scrambling for votes so truth be damned, right?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Ryan realizes like most Republicans "and" Democrats that SS and Medicare will have to change in it's present form to remain solvent in the future. Democrats however like to demonize the right like they want to end it altogether when that simply isn't true.

The changes would only affect those 55 and younger and they aren't even on these programs yet. Those who are already on it are being brainwashed by the left that they are going to be affected by it and lose their benefits. That's how low the Democrats are stooping to vilify the right on this issue. They won't step up to the plate and tell the truth nor will they admit that they are lying for votes right now. They know as I said just like the Republicans that those programs will have to change in the "future" but afterall it is an election year and Obama and the Dems are scrambling for votes so truth be damned, right?
I'm 54, the Democrats need to delay this change for 9 more months.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:

You are correct. What I'm not sure about is if privatization is the way to go. Hard, painful choices have to be made. At least Ryan is willing to have a discussion instead of placating people and giving them a false sense of security.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
He is cold and heartless, thats why republicans love him so much.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
It's no wonder the release date for The Great Gatsby has been pushed back to 2013. If Romney/Ryan wins, it will be the perfect film to represent the new America.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
I'll start believing the Republicans when they show as much willingness and desire to cut wasteful defense spending as they do to cut social programs.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
I am a democrat. I will not vote for Romney and Ryan but in all fairness the term entitlement is the correct one. It has been in use since the beginning of SS and is even in the legislation for the program. And before we go getting all twisted out by the use of a word, remember entitlement means "the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program". Ok well the senior citizen was guaranteed benefits due to his actions of paying into for X number of years.

The term "entitlement" is not a negative one just because the republicans are trying to make it one. The only negative is the miss use of entitlement programs by some people.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,001 times
Yeah, I'm glad he showed the restraint he did by "not" yelling, screaming, coming unglued, during the meeting while ryan was trying to speak to his supporters.....who paid such.....large......sums of......money....ah hell, you know where I'm going with this.......

[quote=13JERM;25599064]

Quote:
The 71-year-old senior citizen was obviously unhappy about Ryan’s use of the word “entitlement” when he has paid, as all working people have, for the benefits he receives. It’s apparent that he went to the meeting to voice his opposition to that term being used; a view shared by many.

Ryan has a history of being booed and hissed at Town Hall meetings. He has told folks to leave and he progressed to having them arrested. Here’s a video by Moveon.org showing three other people arrested for asking about jobs at the same gathering:

Is that $15 "whole" dollar a plate luncheon. Gosh, I can certainly understand your outrage.

source

Quote:
Can Obama use Hollywood's soft power?
Author: By Timothy Stanley Special to CNN
Published On: May 17 2012 06:46:40 AM CDT
(CNN) -
Barack Obama's appearance on "The View" on Tuesday topped a week spent cozying up to the world of entertainment, including a dinner hosted by George Clooney that raised $15 million and a $5,000-a-plate extravaganza with Ricky Martin.

[MOD CUT/copyright]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-12-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a democrat. I will not vote for Romney and Ryan but in all fairness the term entitlement is the correct one. It has been in use since the beginning of SS and is even in the legislation for the program. And before we go getting all twisted out by the use of a word, remember entitlement means "the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program". Ok well the senior citizen was guaranteed benefits due to his actions of paying into for X number of years.

The term "entitlement" is not a negative one just because the republicans are trying to make it one. The only negative is the miss use of entitlement programs by some people.
Welfare, food stamps and medicaid are also lumped into that "entitlement program" category as well.

How can you say that welfare and SS are the same ?
How is one "entitled" to welfare ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections