Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times

Advertisements

Amen to that; the Democrats are a bunch of spineless wimps for refusing to adress this inevitable issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,995 times
I'm encouraged by this thread, especially to all of the posters who have mentioned that it's time for us to "man up" to our entitlement program crisis. I feel the exact same way. I might not get all tingly when Paul Ryan tells it like it is, but I would rather have him deliver the cold hard truth than have politicians act like nothing is going to happen and we can continue living in an entitlement fantasy world.

Folks, the numbers on Medicare, SS, and Medicaid are downright horrific if you look ahead 10-20 years, and we need politicians that have the backbone and guts to take on the problem to fix them. Please keep this in mind when you see ridiculous ads that are sure to come in the near future!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Social Security is a tax used to provide benefits to those 62 and older.

Quote:
SSA Handbook § 136
136.1 How are Social Security benefits funded?

To pay for Retirement, Survivors, Disability Insurance, and Hospital Insurance Benefits, taxes are collected from employers, employees, and the self-employed

How are SSI payments funded?
SSI payments are paid from the general revenues of the U.S. and in States which supplement the Federal benefits from State funds.
We are not paying into a retirement account from which we are to withdraw our money later.

The money we paid in is gone. For you to get SS funds through your retirement, the employees and employers at that time will have to be taxed. You can ask them if you are entitled to part of their income. They may have quite a burden paying off all the debt we placed upon them, so they may just tell you to talk to the

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Amen to that; the Democrats are a bunch of spineless wimps for refusing to adress this inevitable issue.
Of course. Why would they address the issue? It's far easier to make an attack ad saying things like:

"You want to throw Grandma into the street!"
"You hate old people!"
"You want to destroy what the hardworking middle class has worked for their whole lives!"

The GOP is this country's last hope with these programs. I am convinced that, given complete control of them, Dems would run them straight into the ground and bankrupt every last one of them because they haven't the cajones to make major unpopular changes.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Social Security is a tax used to provide benefits to those 62 and older.

We are not paying into a retirement account from which we are to withdraw our money later.

The money we paid in is gone. For you to get SS funds through your retirement, the employees and employers at that time will have to be taxed.
And that is exactly right. Why we can't be trusted to invest the money ourselves, which would yield a much higher rate of return in the long run, is a legitimate question to ask politicians who would love nothing better than to keep people dependent on government.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Welfare, food stamps and medicaid are also lumped into that "entitlement program" category as well.

How can you say that welfare and SS are the same ?
How is one "entitled" to welfare ?
Would it make you feel better if we call it a safety net. What is in a name.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times
I believe he is not only cold and heartless but also displays classic symptoms of being a sociopath. His mentor, Ayn Rand was also a sociopath and basically developed a hatred of humanity and believed that all humans are essentially evil. The fruit does not fall far from a tree.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Would it make you feel better if we call it a safety net. What is in a name.

Call it what it is - a tax.

That's why. I withdrew from Social Security and have not paid "into the system" for numerous decades

Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

That's why. I withdrew from Social Security and have not paid "into the system" for numerous decades
How does one do that?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Are you a tax evader?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections