Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times

Advertisements

I know. My lunch hour is over, but it was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Notice the sudden surge in Obama's numbers as the 2008 election approached? The Street was filled with trepidation at the prospect of an incompetent moron heading up our economy. And THAT'S why the economy collapsed.
Was that also why Wall Street donated more money to Obama than McCain in 2008?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
The Wall Street meltdowns were Oblama's fault. Once he got elected, confidence in the markets dropped. Once Romney gets elected, confidence will be restored and we will start seeing job creation at the pace of about 700,000 to 750,000 jobs per month.
So it was the American peoples' fault for electing the President? And exactly where will these jobs be created, the USA or Communist China?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Apparently Wall Street has a time machine.
Hey, with all that record breaking cash laying about they might!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Romney is a corporate raider and a job elimination. Indeed, he should choose Donald "YOU'RE FIRED!" Trump to be his running mate.
Ok...I will try again so you understand my question.

Show me any proof to back up what you say. Bain is in the business of restructuring companies, that does not make them 'job eliminators'. If I go into a company that employs 20,000 people which is about to go bankrupt (aka, 20,000 people will lose their jobs) and I fire 2,000 people so that the other 18,000 people save their jobs, am I doing a positive or a negative thing?

I suspect I would have 18,000 people thanking me instead of 2,000 people mad at me, but then again, that doesn't look good in Obama's smear campaign.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,112 times
No. That's not the way it happens. This is the way it works:

He is a captain of industry, a champion of free enterprise, a victor of the corporate proxy battle - he is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the company. He is Mitt Romney of Bain Capital - comming soon to a corporation near you.

Mitt Romney has energy and ambition. He is also arrogant, egocentric and unprincipled. He is much admired. The first order of business is to double his salary, to which is added the most generous pension and retirement benefits, not to mention stock options.

Next, he fires half of the employees of the company, and cuts the pay for the rest, who must now work twice as hard for less money under his new management authority. He effects further "improvements" by implementing cost-cutting measures designed to improve - not the product line, but - the bottom line.

He is tireless in his efforts. To enhance company productivity, he systematically strips away employee benefits (except his own) in his relentless pursuit of profitability; for which the Board of Directors votes him a bonus. He drives on. He fights all efforts of organized labor, leveraging his bargaining position with borrowing against the company pension plan (after cashing in his own), and blackmailing concessions from the union with threats of bankruptcy. Meanwhile, he dazzles the shareholders with mergers and acquisitions.

Mitt Romney promotes himself as a man of vision - full of prospects for the future - but his plans never extend beyond the company’s next quarterly profit statement. And finally, when things - as they inevitably do - begin to go awry, he trades in his stock options and bails out with his golden parachute.

And, now, Mitt Romney is running for President. We can be assured that Mitt Romney is out for Mitt Romney and no one esle.

Vote for Mitt Romney.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
No. That's not the way it happens. This is the way it works:

He is a captain of industry, a champion of free enterprise, a victor of the corporate proxy battle - he is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the company. He is Mitt Romney of Bain Capital - comming soon to a corporation near you.

Mitt Romney has energy and ambition. He is also arrogant, egocentric and unprincipled. He is much admired. The first order of business is to double his salary, to which is added the most generous pension and retirement benefits, not to mention stock options.

Next, he fires half of the employees of the company, and cuts the pay for the rest, who must now work twice as hard for less money under his new management authority. He effects further "improvements" by implementing cost-cutting measures designed to improve - not the product line, but - the bottom line.

He is tireless in his efforts. To enhance company productivity, he systematically strips away employee benefits (except his own) in his relentless pursuit of profitability; for which the Board of Directors votes him a bonus. He drives on. He fights all efforts of organized labor, leveraging his bargaining position with borrowing against the company pension plan (after cashing in his own), and blackmailing concessions from the union with threats of bankruptcy. Meanwhile, he dazzles the shareholders with mergers and acquisitions.

Mitt Romney promotes himself as a man of vision - full of prospects for the future - but his plans never extend beyond the company’s next quarterly profit statement. And finally, when things - as they inevitably do - begin to go awry, he trades in his stock options and bails out with his golden parachute.

And, now, Mitt Romney is running for President. We can be assured that Mitt Romney is out for Mitt Romney and no one esle.

Vote for Mitt Romney.
Can you show any shred of evidence for this? Or do you like just fabricating things about a type of company you obviously are painfully ignorant about?

Old 07-20-2012, 06:29 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
And that's good for America. This is why so many people in the industry are supporting Romney.

Wall Street ditches Obama, backs Romney - May. 29, 2012

When will this doofus learn that Wall Street needs LESS regulation, not more. I'm so glad Romney is running for office.
Until Congress relaxed the laws, we had strict regulations that were passed during FDR's administration that effectively prevented the type of bad behavior that caused the 2008 meltdown. Canada had similar laws and did not suffer a housing bubble and meltdown.

Relaxing Wall Street regulations, something Romney admires, and allowing the financial industry to do whatever it wants is the exact opposite policy that we should follow. Wall Street is important because when they make mistakes the rest of the economy suffers.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Ok...I will try again so you understand my question.

Show me any proof to back up what you say. Bain is in the business of restructuring companies, that does not make them 'job eliminators'. If I go into a company that employs 20,000 people which is about to go bankrupt (aka, 20,000 people will lose their jobs) and I fire 2,000 people so that the other 18,000 people save their jobs, am I doing a positive or a negative thing?

I suspect I would have 18,000 people thanking me instead of 2,000 people mad at me, but then again, that doesn't look good in Obama's smear campaign.
From the Wash Post Fact-Checkers:

Quote:
“Mitt Romney and 100,000 jobs: an untenable figure” (Jan. 10. 2012)

Claim: Romney said that businesses in which Bain had invested had created “net-net” more than 100,000 jobs.

Findings: Bain was about wealth creation, not job creation. Moreover, the claim is based on the current employment of some companies, long after Bain owned them or Romney managed the firm. We concluded: “The Romney campaign needs to provide a real accounting of how many jobs were gained or lost through Bain Capital investments while the firm managed these companies — and while Romney was chief executive. Any jobs counted after either of those data points simply do not pass the laugh test.”

Rating: 3 Pinocchios

Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Republicans are always good for the economy and Wall Street.

Of course those who rail against Wall Street will disagree without having the faintest idea what Wall Street is and why they're supposed to hate on them.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
*And this is supposed to gain Romney MORE support? Because he supports the individuals who are responsible for trillions of dollars of our debt? And then gave themselves huge bonuses because of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections