Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,827,491 times

Advertisements

Off and Out, Accounts Edition - NYTimes.com

For the record, I wouldn't mind if Romney was a billionaire, if he was just a little more frank about it. Stuff like this is just going to plague his campaign. Pretending you're an everyman when you aren't just doesn't work. And this is just shady.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,514,098 times
I think he should fully disclose the locations, amounts and sources of the money he's hidden in foreign countries ... and also disclose and have the PACS disclose the foreigners and foreign governments who are pumping money into his campaign. All candidates should support transparency.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post

For the record, I wouldn't mind if Romney was a billionaire, if he was just a little more frank about it. Stuff like this is just going to plague his campaign. Pretending you're an everyman when you aren't just doesn't work. And this is just shady.

What do you guys think?
What is her pretending to be but isn't? You are depending too much on something one jounelist had to say in the most liberal newspaper in the country...

Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,424,524 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I think the ignorant and naive are being taken in by a big smear. NONE of Romney's money is hidden; the penalties for hiding money overseas, and not reporting it to the IRS, are huge.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think he should fully disclose the locations, amounts and sources of the money he's hidden in foreign countries ... and also disclose and have the PACS disclose the foreigners and foreign governments who are pumping money into his campaign. All candidates should support transparency.
and should Pres. Obama tell us exactly how much he is worth? All we know is he is a millionaire, maybe 3 maybe 10, he isn't really saying...I really do not care where a candidate has his money unless it could influence his decisions and that is one of the reasons we have more than one branch of government. No one branch has total control. I don't care whether the Pres is amillion, billion or whatever else he is. Each side gets plenty of money from sources some of us do not care for,..it is politics for heaven's sake.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What is her pretending to be but isn't? You are depending too much on something one jounelist had to say in the most liberal newspaper in the country...
Umm... there was also a question about this same issue in the Washington Post, albeit from another liberal:

Eugene Robinson: Mitt Romney’s financial skills have political risks - The Washington Post

I am a liberal, but I think having pathetic candidates hurts everyone. I'd rather see a debate about real policies than Romney's piggy bank, but this issue is out, so it needs to be resolved. Romney is the one who wants to use his record as a businessman, so he needs to be more forthright.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,233,573 times
Another thread about Romney's off shore accounts....

Are these the secret accounts that nobody knows about.....but all the lefties blab about them all the time....

Old 07-07-2012, 02:54 PM

No, this isn't about his offshore accounts (although he has those too!). This is about his IRA, which you can only put $6k a year into, but still managed to amass over $100 MILLION. How did this happen? What kind of crazy loophole did Romney use?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,233,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idi Arduini Fettucini View Post
These are 5 questions Romney is being asked:1. Did you buy any illegal or gray area tax shelters? 2. Did an IRS audit ever uncover serious problems with any of your tax returns? 3. Did you make use of offshore vehicles to defer, or avoid paying, federal income taxes? 4. Did you take advantage of any tax strategies that the IRS did not uncover in audits? 5. Did you fully tithe to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints every year and take a deduction on your tax return that shows that?"
You all want to know everything about Romney, but care less about obama......pathetic....

Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,706,106 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
I think Romney's money is absolutely none of your business. He earned it, and legally. The End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections