Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,216,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Okay, if you are too lazy and/or stupid to get a photo ID, then don't bother to vote, or cash checks, or fly a commercial airliner or... yadda, yadda....
Compassionate Conservatism in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,732,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You apply for social security when you're 62, 65, or 67, not when you're (usually) in a nursing home. Medicare is at 65. You don't need an ID, to receive it, by the way.

Perhaps a local community college has a civics course you can take?
What percentage of elderly cannot get an ID? How did they get to that age and never acquired that knowledge, I can only assume it's a very tiny minority?

Besides, any state that would have photo ID laws would have all of this covered. They have entire departments geared to assisting their citizens to obtain an ID, and they'd come to the nursing homes to help the elderly get their photo ID if they was no other way for them to get one. There are also plenty of charitable organizations that also offer support and help to get an ID.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,883,136 times
Quote:
You apply for social security when you're 62, 65, or 67, not when you're (usually) in a nursing home. Medicare is at 65. You don't need an ID, to receive it, by the way.

Perhaps a local community college has a civics course you can take?
You have to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate to get benifits, to get a certified copy you need an ID.

Social Security Forms - Information You Need To apply for retirement benefits or medicare

Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,163,796 times
This is not a controversial issue. It is an established fact that voter ID laws suppress the vote of specific classes of people who tend to vote Democratic. This has been well established for years, and the newest study (co-authored by Cathy J. Cohen of the University of Chicago and Jon C. Rogowski of Washington University in St. Louis) just came out a couple of months ago.

Study finds voter ID laws hurt young minorities - Emily Schultheis - POLITICO.com

More interestingly, almost none of the "examples" of voter fraud that have been trotted out by Republicans as their rationale for the push would have been caught by voter ID laws.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,189,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Allowing ineligible people to vote suppresses the value of MY legitimate vote.
Did you read my post at all? Seriously, did you read any of it? Why not address all the other things I mentioned such as the same day registration, the voting hours, etc. Can you do that?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,732,591 times
Quote:
Compassionate Conservatism in action.
I have no compassion for people who refuse to do anything to help themselves. It's libs like you who assume everyone is a pathetic loser, and needs to be spoon fed and hand-held their entire lives, even over something as simple as getting a freaking ID.

BTW, these same people that don't have an ID to vote, and are too lazy to get one, don't have an ID to cash a check, apply for federal assistance, buy a car at a dealership, get on a commercial plane, enter the City Hall to vote, go to court, drive a car, etc... In other words, in todays society they are practically dysfunctional.

Give it up, you are sounding like an idiot here.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You have to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate to get benifits, to get a certified copy you need an ID.

Social Security Forms - Information You Need To apply for retirement benefits or medicare
I got my birth certificate-- y'know-- at birth. Didn't need an ID then..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,189,644 times
Quote:
i have no compassion for people who refuse to do anything to help themselves. It's libs like you who assume everyone is a pathetic loser, and needs to be spoon fed and hand-held their entire lives, even over something as simple as getting a freaking ID.

BTW, these same people that don't have an ID to vote, and are too lazy to get one, don't have an ID to cash a check, apply for federal assistance, buy a car at a dealership, get on a commercial plane, enter the City Hall to vote, go to court, drive a car, etc... In other words, they are practically dysfunctional.

Give it up, you are sounding like an idiot here.
The only one sounding like an idiot is the one who resorts to insulting others.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
i have no compassion for people who refuse to do anything to help themselves.

Yes, those damn nursing home patients.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,883,136 times
Quote:
I got my birth certificate-- y'know-- at birth. Didn't need an ID then..
You didn't get it, your parents did. Though I highly doubt you have your original birth certificate and even if you did, you have to provide certified copies to many government agencies when you claim social security.

Do you think people are being disenfranchised because they cannot get married without ID?
How about traveling by air plane?
Opening a bank account?
Getting a loan?
Cashing a check?
Purchasing a gun?
Apply for welfare?
Purchase alcohol?
Rent an apartment?
Pick up mail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections