Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,954 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Romney recieved at least 60% of the delegates in ND....

Quote:
Recall that the 25 North Dakota delegates to the Republican National Convention in Tampa are technically unbound. The straw poll had no binding effect on the delegates who will ultimately be chosen. That said, it appears that the North Dakota Republican Party has made some effort to use that unbound loophole to their advantage; putting up for a vote at today's convention proceedings a group of delegates that seemingly leans heavily toward Mitt Romney. Romney placed third in the Super Tuesday straw poll in North Dakota with just under 24% of the vote.

However, news emerging from the convention this morning indicates that Romney may have the support of up to 60% of the national convention delegates placed in nomination and voted on by the state convention delegates.1 The formula used by the North Dakota State Executive Committee that yielded that outcome was weighted toward volunteers, donors and elected officials, obviously a group aligned with the establishment in the North Dakota GOP and more likely -- it could be argued -- to support Romney.
Frontloading HQ: Romney Turns the Tables on Santorum/Paul at North Dakota Republican Convention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,801 times
Quote:
it appears that the North Dakota Republican Party has made some effort to use that unbound loophole to their advantage; putting up for a vote at today's convention proceedings a group of delegates that seemingly leans heavily toward Mitt Romney.
Quote:
The formula used by the North Dakota State Executive Committee that yielded that outcome was weighted toward volunteers, donors and elected officials, obviously a group aligned with the establishment in the North Dakota GOP and more likely -- it could be argued -- to support Romney.
Whenever Romney wins anything, it's with Establishment support. I wouldn't be proud of this if I were you.

"Hey, look how my paid off party buddies help me win..."

This _still_ doesn't hold a candle to the efforts of Paul supporters who win delegates in spite of the Establishment election frauds, sorry. Seeing the tepid support Romney has amongst actual grassroots, you are allowed to have your obligatory orgasm about this news, of course.

Wake me up when Romney gets passionate grassroots support and wins, k, tnx.

EDIT: http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/0...-paul-cut-out/

EDIT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ush7h1nQRbo

Delegate account:

Quote:
What happened is that the party's Delegate Selection Committee put out an "approved slate" of delegates. They also had a box you could check to approve all 25 delegates with just one check in the box. We nominated other delegates from the floor and then asked that a new ballot be printed with no preference given to any single delegate. We were told no, that would take too long, we could just write in whatever names we wanted from the list of those nominated from the floor. That was the biggest fight--over whether or not they should have a paper ballot with ALL the delegates' names, not just the 25 "approved" delegates.

A motion was made to table the vote until Sunday, in order to allow leadership time to print a new ballot. A voice vote was too close, so we called for a roll call. Instead of a roll call, the chairman asked for a show of hands. Before district chairmen could finish counting the yes votes, the chairman called for the no votes and then immediately called the measure defeated. We asked for a count of the vote, he said he had no count, he just "knew" that the nos had won, because you needed 2/3 vote to table a motion.

We countered by saying, no, Robert's Rules says you only need simple majority to table a motion. That's when our Nat'l Committeeman (who claims to be a RP supporter) said "When there's a discrepancy between Robert's Rules and party law, party law supercedes." We showed them the party bylaws that say just the opposite: Robert's Rules supersedes state bylaws. But it was no use--they declared the motion final.

Part of the problem was many of the Santorum people wouldn't work with us. For the first 45 min or so all the motions and nominations were coming from RP supporters, even though some of our nominations were for Santorum delegates. So everyone was mad at the Paulistas for "disrupting" the process. Many wouldn't even vote with us on the motions because we were RP supporters, even though what we were doing was helping Santorum as well. Finally, after about 45 min of RP supporters holding the floor, Santorum's State Chrmn stood up and spoke out against the railroading. (He's a former state chrmn, who, BTW illegally "unbound" the delegate in '08, thus robbing RP of 12 delegate votes. Wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome, but we were proud of having won those 12 delegates for RP and we wanted to see them cast.) So the Santorum supporters finally started getting on board with us but by then we'd already lost a couple motions.

So they disenfranchised everyone by not having one printed ballot for all the delegates, then they violated RR by not having a secret ballot when we called for Roll Call, then they didn't finish counting the aye's before calling for the no vote, and then declared the motion defeated, then violated party bylaws by saying party bylaws supersede RR.

Then they final move of the convention: they completed all the business on the agenda, asked if there was any further business, we made a motion (breach of continuance) to redo the delegate vote (because they left two delegate candidates who were nominated from the floor off the list.) and they cut the mikes and declared the convention adjourned.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/vid...-railroad-job/

Go to www.sayanythingblog.com for a complete blow-by-blow account of what the Stupid Party was up to this weekend.

Last edited by moving_pains; 04-02-2012 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
So the strategy that Paul supporters were counting on to win the convention is now in action and it is working against him?

Oh the irony.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
So the strategy that Paul supporters were counting on to win the convention is now in action and it is working against him?

Oh the irony.
Romney strategy is to win with the Establishment support. Paul strategy is to fight against the Establishment support for Romney and win, against all odds.

BIG difference. You really have to be an idiot to not be able to discern the difference.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,309 times
All this proves how messed up each party's primary system really is.

Also, have the Republicans ever noticed how their primary is set up that is is heavily biased AGAINST conservatives like Santorum?

Just look how the states shape up: most of the North East states are "winner take all" while most southern states are "proportional." Just Google and review the primary voting process. It really appears to favor a certain "flavor" of candidate (which I wonder is intentional by the "establishment").

Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post

Also, have the Republicans ever noticed how their primary is set up that is is heavily biased AGAINST conservatives like Santorum?
And who makes the decision on proportionality vs. winner take all? I believe that would be the states.

Plus, Santorum is no conservative. Oh sure, he touts this everywhere, but look at his record and you will see what kind of politician he is.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post

Just look how the states shape up: most of the North East states are "winner take all" while most southern states are "proportional." Just Google and review the primary voting process. It really appears to favor a certain "flavor" of candidate (which I wonder is intentional by the "establishment").
Each state can allocate however they wish. If those Southern states want to allocate winner take all, they can. They just chose not to. If that gives them a diminished role in picking the candidate, it's their own fault.

This is definitely the same strategy Paul is using. It doesn't matter whether the people trying to get nominated are "establishment" or not - that's completely irrelevant. Every Republican has a right to attempt to be nominated as a delegate and every Republican has a right to vote. This is exactly what Ron Paul is doing.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
This is definitely the same strategy Paul is using. It doesn't matter whether the people trying to get nominated are "establishment" or not - that's completely irrelevant. Every Republican has a right to attempt to be nominated as a delegate and every Republican has a right to vote. This is exactly what Ron Paul is doing.
NO! Either you are too stupid to realize the difference, or you are purposefully spreading misinformation by equating the strategies of Romney and Paul. I suspect the latter, although I wouldn't disregard the possibility of the former.

Have you ever noticed that it's always the Paul people on the floor fighting the blatant disregard of the RRO and party rules by the GOP leadership convening the conventions and caucuses? And for what reason do you think the party breaks its own rules and disregards motions from the floor? In most cases, to help Romney, and in some occasions, to help Santorum (case in point, St. Charles County, MO). NEVER for Paul. Paul people on the floor are fighting the Establishment, "unity slates", backroom deals and the like. Santorum and Gingrich supporters too are getting screwed by Romney, BTW, because most of the "unity slates" presented to them are in reality, all Romney delegates. Santorum and Gingrich supporters are voting for Romney delegates without realizing it.

While you can always argue that someone getting delegates disproportionate to the popular vote they received is unfair, I don't take that view. If Romney could get delegates in a state where he was discomfited in the popular vote, I don't care, as long he plays by the rules when getting delegates. Problem is, he cheats to get the delegates.

Ultimately, the whole thing might skew in favor of Romney at the state levels in most states because of GOP corruption, but where Paul people take control of the GOP leadership, the corruption will stop after 2012. Most of you don't take a long view of this like I do, because your aim starts and ends with Romney getting elected. Paul people think long term, so it's an ongoing battle.

We will win in the end because we play by the rules. You will lose in the end because you cheat.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM

473 posts, read 400,354 times
Just looking at our convention results now. I actually made the top 25 despite not getting up and giving a speech. RP support took 17 of the top 30 with the top 5 votes going to the career establishment Repubs on the committee chairs that ran the thing. I was proud to see a RP friendly US Military vet take number 6 (out of 100+ on the final ballot).The absolute shining face of the movement: age 25-30, educated, in-tune, deprogramed, passionate and entirely farkin fed UP with the shenanigans.

We tried to challenge the rules at one point to allow less than the required votes, but it didn't pass after a good 30 minutes of arguing and yelling. See, they will only count your ballot if you vote for exactly 25 for state and 21 for the CD, otherwise it's thrown out. Just another BS tactic for the establishment to keep their vote count high and not let the people truly vote for whoever they want and also to shut out the new participants in the process.

Again, I'm brand new to the whole process but it only took me one night to realize the entire US political process is corrupt to the core. It's run by "me, me, me!" narcissistic *******s who don't give a rats ass about anything other than your vote. They're your best buddy one minute and the next they're jabbing a rusty screwdriver into your spine. There's no place for honor, moral precedence, dignity or grace. The R/L paradigm is a really ****ty circus act where the main attraction is an illusionist who's speciality is enabling the system to rape and pillage the masses in the crowd while they are slowly lulled to sleep.

I will to continue to delegate for RP at the state and CD level. I just won't be able to come home at night and not take a hot shower with a swift scrub-down and a few deep belly vomits after being forced to share an energy space with a bunch of disgusting s***piles.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Whenever Romney wins anything, it's with Establishment support. I wouldn't be proud of this if I were you.
Am I a proud of this? Look I've said over and over that I think caucuses are a sham. I don't care if it is Ron Paul people or Romney people or Santorum people who are benefiting from manipulating the system to their favor or what they are doing exactly, to me it is all a joke.

Give me a primary that is bound to the vote of the people. Anything else falls short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections