Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,259,517 times

Advertisements

This flip-flopper in unbelievable:

Alec MacGillis: When Romney Liked High Gas Prices | The New Republic

Looks like this is going to be another position where he will have to "etch a sketch".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,091,033 times
He said he welcomed people recognizing that the high gas prices probably wouldn't go away... keep in mind the average gas price in 2006 was $2.68 for unleaded. If Romney supports gas being $2.68, he's got my vote!

But seriously, it's not a flip flop when we're talking about prices that are about $1.50 more than that in many places. It's whole different animal to say we can deal with $2.68 than to say we can deal with $4.10

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,267,153 times
Nowhere in there is a quote from Romney that says "I welcome high gas prices". I also don't find the idea of someone believing that gas prices would continue to go up as somehow anti-Republican or anti-conservative. I also don't find it incongruous for a conservative to advocate for all energy resources or for slashing state spending on SUVs.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,341,900 times
I need some new shoes to wear around the house. Gonna go head to the shoe store and get some Romney flip flops. lol!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,334,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I need some new shoes to wear around the house. Gonna go head to the shoe store and get some Romney flip flops. lol!
I was looking for some flip flops at my store and all they had in stock was the used and abused flip flops from the 2008 Obama campaign.

Go out and get a pair of those Obama flip flops, they are much bigger and guaranteed to only last a few days before they flip flop again.

Romney flip flops would be high class and well made, Obamas, well they would be in the discount section at the end of the fish aisle.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM

665 posts, read 1,245,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I was looking for some flip flops at my store and all they had in stock was the used and abused flip flops from the 2008 Obama campaign.

Go out and get a pair of those Obama flip flops, they are much bigger and guaranteed to only last a few days before they flip flop again.

Romney flip flops would be high class and well made, Obamas, well they would be in the discount section at the end of the fish aisle.
Obama hasnt flip flop on major issues like abortion.

He flip flops on minor issues like the mandate,to get things through
congress its called compromise and governing,thats different than making position changes on the campaign trail.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,411,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Nowhere in there is a quote from Romney that says "I welcome high gas prices". I also don't find the idea of someone believing that gas prices would continue to go up as somehow anti-Republican or anti-conservative. I also don't find it incongruous for a conservative to advocate for all energy resources or for slashing state spending on SUVs.
The exact quote is

“I’m very much in favor of people recognizing that these high gasoline prices are probably here to stay.” --W.M. Romney

Romney: For high gas prices before he was against them - The Washington Post

Basically it comes from a time when Romney was arguing in favor of state gasoline taxes.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,493,273 times
A 2.5 cent fee per gallon...yeah, that's some huge tax.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
This flip-flopper in unbelievable:

Alec MacGillis: When Romney Liked High Gas Prices | The New Republic

Looks like this is going to be another position where he will have to "etch a sketch".
According to Alec MacGillis and the liberal publication: this doesn't mean Romney ever really said he liked high gas prices. I believe, again, you or maybe Alec are taking statements and spinning them to fit your agenda. How about taking more time to build up your man in others eyes, instead of thinking you will make any headway by blasting others. it isn't working, I don't think.

Nita

Old 03-23-2012, 03:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,267,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The exact quote is

“I’m very much in favor of people recognizing that these high gasoline prices are probably here to stay.” --W.M. Romney

Romney: For high gas prices before he was against them - The Washington Post

Basically it comes from a time when Romney was arguing in favor of state gasoline taxes.
Where does that mean he welcomes it?

I could say 'I'm in favor of people recognizing that Social Security is in trouble' but that doesn't mean I welcome Social Security to be in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections