Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,206,105 times

Advertisements

Reuters) - Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum told Puerto Ricans on Wednesday they would have to make English their primary language if they want to pursue U.S. statehood, a statement at odds with the U.S. Constitution.
Santorum traveled to the U.S. territory to campaign ahead of the island's Republican primary election scheduled for Sunday, where he, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are vying for 20 delegates.
Puerto Ricans, who recognize both English and Spanish as their official languages, are scheduled to vote in November on a referendum to decide whether they want to pursue statehood or remain a self-governing U.S. commonwealth.

Santorum to Puerto Rico: Speak English if you want statehood | Reuters

Every time Santorum wins, he opens his mouth and inserts his foot the very next day. Fortunately, it ususally just gets better and better as the week progresses also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,030,127 times
Lol Santorum just lost Puerto Rico. It's no wonder most Puerto Ricans prefer Commonwealth status.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,119,702 times
LOL @ Santorum...everyday he fits the meaning that was given to his name in the Dan Savage contest.

Santorum...where ignorance meets bliss.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,934,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol Santorum just lost Puerto Rico. It's no wonder most Puerto Ricans prefer Commonwealth status.
If he is the GOP nominee, you might as well kiss Arizona, Florida and Texas goodbye as well. Why do the Republicans think this anti-Latino crap is still good politics? Is it the racists within the GOP base that make them do this kind of stupid stuff?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,524,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Reuters) - Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum told Puerto Ricans on Wednesday they would have to make English their primary language if they want to pursue U.S. statehood.
I agree.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,370,002 times
Oh, for crying out loud. I thought this was a spoof with a Reuters logo, but that knucklehead really said it. Just when the GOP should be embracing latinos, we get this silly krap.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,499,059 times
If i thought ingnorant as some on here. I would suport Santorum, because we are Paisanos. But i am not, and beleive in voting the right person for the job.

If i were ignorant to the core, i would vote for him, oh just because! why not, we are Paisano's. Reason some have given for their stupid votes.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,248,884 times
Santorum has burned his bridge with single women, I guess Hispanics are next. At the rate we are going if he is the nominee the only people voting for him will be white Evangelicals.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,772,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Oh, for crying out loud. I thought this was a spoof with a Reuters logo, but that knucklehead really said it. Just when the GOP should be embracing latinos, we get this silly krap.
It's turning into a two horse race between, "That wasn't what I meant when I said that!" (Romney) vs "Yes I said that and I meant every word!" (Santorum)

Why is anyone still surprised when Santorum says something unbelievably stupid?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,934,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Santorum has burned his bridge with single women, I guess Hispanics are next. At the rate we are going if he is the nominee the only people voting for him will be white Evangelicals.
Santorum is really no different than the entire GOP. It is essentially a party for white, male fundamentalist Christians. What I don't understand is why they think this approach is a winning formula. With survey after survey showing the GOP increasingly out of step with changing attitudes and demographics it makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections