Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times

Advertisements

Not sure how accurate this is, and would like to see more polling done to back this up, but nonetheless Wow. ROTMFFLMMFAO. What a circus.

Santorum surges into the lead - Public Policy Polling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,813,201 times
I wouldn't laugh so much if I were you.

Today, for the first time, I met some Santorum supporters in real life. Bunch of social conservatives.

One guy (must be in his late 50s), when I asked him why he is supporting Santorum, said "He is the one closest to God." and then he looked up at the sky and said "Praise the Lord".

Yup, that's his reason. No economic policies, no tax plan, no deficit reduction, no Constitution, nothing. just "Closest to God".

So after my attempts to point out Frothy's fiscal liberal record met with disinterest, in a last ditch attempt to point out Frothy's hypocrisy, I pointed out how Frothy's wife had an abortion although Frothy himself rails against abortion all the time.

Then another elderly lady said "You see, if that was before she found Jesus and was saved, it is fine. We forgive her."

I was dumbfounded.

Make no mistake - these folks are very motivated and very religious and can overturn elections. These folks will turn out in large numbers to vote and will mark a stark contrast to the more educated and intelligent, but apathetic independent voter who may not even show up to vote.

It is indeed a frightening thought to imagine Santorum as President.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,025,577 times
I would like to him in the White House!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I wouldn't laugh so much if I were you.

Today, for the first time, I met some Santorum supporters in real life. Bunch of social conservatives.

One guy (must be in his late 50s), when I asked him why he is supporting Santorum, said "He is the one closest to God." and then he looked up at the sky and said "Praise the Lord".

Yup, that's his reason. No economic policies, no tax plan, no deficit reduction, no Constitution, nothing. just "Closest to God".

So after my attempts to point out Frothy's fiscal liberal record met with disinterest, in a last ditch attempt to point out Frothy's hypocrisy, I pointed out how Frothy's wife had an abortion although Frothy himself rails against abortion all the time.

Then another elderly lady said "You see, if that was before she found Jesus and was saved, it is fine. We forgive her."

I was dumbfounded.

Make no mistake - these folks are very motivated and very religious and can overturn elections. These folks will turn out in large numbers to vote and will mark a stark contrast to the more educated and intelligent, but apathetic independent voter who may not even show up to vote.

It is indeed a frightening thought to imagine Santorum as President.
I have no doubt that the hardcore social conservatives will turn out of Santroum. However, the days of the culture wars working for the GOP on a national level are over. Santorum will get obliterated among those in the middle.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
Santorum and Gingrich are both in the same boat. They haven't the slightest prayer of winning the general election. Newtered is so flawed and so scandal-plagued that nobody could possibly do worse in the general election this year.

Santorum is so socially conservative that he frightens most Independents, scares the living crap out of all of the Democrats and even gives a few Republicans the willies. The one thing you can say about him is that he is the genuine article social conservative fiscal liberal. If you're voting for Rick Santorum you know exactly what you're getting. In a very cynical sense, Rick Santorum is my dream candidate. The current GOP base voting in the primaries are so obsessed with having a "real conservative" (and they mean social conservative, make no mistake about it) that they will completely ruin Paul or Romney with the tantrum they'll throw if either is nominated.

The GOP base is acting like a huge spoiled baby throwing a fit right now. There's really only one thing for it. They need to get what they want and reap the consequences: Losing the general election by a landslide reminiscent of Nixon vs McGovern or Reagan vs Mondale. The morning after election day, with a very blue map staring back at them, the GOP base will realize that a religious extremist was an absolutely terrible choice for GOP nominee.

It ruins the GOP's chances in 2012, but at least it clears the way for sanity to prevail in 2016.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
I think many here have said PPP is a Dem leaning Poll. If true, I suspect Saintorum is their desired GOP candidate.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post

These people are otherwise known as "typical Republican voters."

Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
These people are otherwise known as "typical Republican voters."
It's just the basic problem that they tend to be unfamiliar with reality, I guess by definition.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,519,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think many here have said PPP is a Dem leaning Poll. If true, I suspect Saintorum is their desired GOP candidate.
They pride themselves on their accuracy and are usually never off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections