Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you prefer as a President?
A candidate like Romney who is concerned only with the welfare of the super-rich and Wall Street. 16 37.21%
A candidate like Obama who puts Americans first and champions the concerns of the American middle-class. 27 62.79%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

This poll reminds me of the polls that are probably being conducted that are telling voters who is likely to win. These polls end up being right sometimes because people believe them and think they are helping get rid of Obama.

People please think for yourself. Look at wikipedia and see who is the best candidate and then vote according to the candidate YOU want to be president. If you keep allowing the media and polls to dictate to you then we will continue to end up with the least qualified people being elected.

I am planning to do that this year in the primary, if I am allowed, and I know it is possible to write in a persons name in the main election. Let's start a movement to vote for the person you would most want in the White House. If we would all do that instead of listening to the media and being influenced by who is most likely to win, I think we might save this country.

And remember: A vote for Vermin Supreme is a totally useless vote, but it is better than no vote at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
This thread is just dark sarcasm, right?

I will be voting for the one candidate that will not owe his Presidency to ANY Bank or special interest group, Dr. Ron Paul.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Wall Street Still Gives More Cash to Obama Than to Republicans -- Daily Intel

Wall Street STILL gives more money to Obama than it does to Republican candidates, get your story straight before you make ignorant statements.
while I believe the OPs post was a bit biased (ok, more than a bit)...you should really look at more current data than October before you accuse someone else of being ignorant...

Wall Street bets big on Romney - Feb. 1, 2012

Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
That is what the election will come down to. If you believe that America should only provide the best opportunities and standard of living for the rich and the super-rich then Romney is your man. If you believe that corporations have more value than human life and that the interests of average Americans should take a back seat to the interest of Wall Street then the GOP is your party, make your vote.

If you believe that America should provide equal opportunities for all to succeed and that every American should play their role in the upkeep of the nation, then Obama is your man. If you see value in America having a strong middle-class and that we should implement policies that will continue to strengthen this middle class then the Democratic Party is your best choice, make your vote.

It will be the classic battle between the 99% represented by Obama and the Democrats and the 1% represented by Romney and the GOP. It's the classic battle between good and evil... between money and people power. Who will win?
Obama is a very wealthy person, as is his wife. He is a 1%'er. So is everyone that is running this year -- Ron Paul is the only possible exception, but doctors do make a lot more money than the average Joe. So the blanket statement that, "Obama is one of us" is completely false.

No candidate is "one of us." They are all 1%'ers. Once you get past a few million dollars in net worth, fussing about which guy is richer and more out of touch than the rest is kinda pointless. None of them knows what it is like to be poor or middle class right now because none of them are.

I think that you have to qualify who the true champion of the middle class is here. Is Obama the champion of the middle class? At least that one is ridiculously easy to sort out.

Are you better off today than you were four years ago??

Obama renewed that question when he ran for office. Clearly, he knew he could improve things for all Americans. And Obama promised to turn things around.

Several multi-billion dollar banks and mega-corporations are better off. But what about the middle class and poor??

If any American can honestly say that they are better off now, then Obama might just be their guy. But what about those who are not better off? From what I've seen, Obama has no end of excuses for why things got bad and stayed bad so long on his watch, but has very little in the way of results. Unemployment rates and real unemployment numbers are still a lot worse than they were when he took office. And with many intangibles (like freezes on giving raises, pay downgrades, downgrade in a person's work hours, etc.) the unemployment numbers aren't telling the whole story.

The thing that puzzles me: Obama has added $5.4 trillion in debt now and Obama is hell bent on adding at least another $1 trillion by the end of the year. So let's just call it $6.5 trillion in debt in 4 years. There are 300 million Americans. So if Obama had just taken everything he borrowed and divided it equally among all US citizens, every man woman and child would have gotten $21,666. Me, my wife and son would have gotten a lump sum of $65,000. So why didn't he just do that? I surely could have used the money!

We also pay 25% of our income, minus deductions, to Uncle Sam in taxes (lucky me, I barely qualify to pay 25%) plus a whole lot more in state tax, property tax, sales tax, etc. Did my family get their $65,000 worth? Am I getting a good return on the vast sums being taken from me in taxes?

In the last four years, we lost one home, but were lucky enough to land another worth half as much. My wife lost 1/2 her hours and 2/3 of her pay. My company has enforced a freeze on all raises for the last 3 years. Meanwhile the price of everything keeps climbing steadily, so our same income has less buying power today than it did four years ago.

I'm worse off, not better!! How on earth can that be??? Obama had all my tax money plus $65,000 in borrowed money to improve things for me and my family. Please explain to me why that wasn't enough to at least make my life a little better!

So how is Obama the "champion of the middle class"?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Obama is a very wealthy person, as is his wife. He is a 1%'er. So is everyone that is running this year -- Ron Paul is the only possible exception, but doctors do make a lot more money than the average Joe. So the blanket statement that, "Obama is one of us" is completely false.

No candidate is "one of us." They are all 1%'ers. Once you get past a few million dollars in net worth, fussing about which guy is richer and more out of touch than the rest is kinda pointless. None of them knows what it is like to be poor or middle class right now because none of them are.

I think that you have to qualify who the true champion of the middle class is here. Is Obama the champion of the middle class? At least that one is ridiculously easy to sort out.

Obama renewed that question when he ran for office. Clearly, he knew he could improve things for all Americans. And Obama promised to turn things around.

Several multi-billion dollar banks and mega-corporations are better off. But what about the middle class and poor??

If any American can honestly say that they are better off now, then Obama might just be their guy. But what about those who are not better off? From what I've seen, Obama has no end of excuses for why things got bad and stayed bad so long on his watch, but has very little in the way of results. Unemployment rates and real unemployment numbers are still a lot worse than they were when he took office. And with many intangibles (like freezes on giving raises, pay downgrades, downgrade in a person's work hours, etc.) the unemployment numbers aren't telling the whole story.

The thing that puzzles me: Obama has added $5.4 trillion in debt now and Obama is hell bent on adding at least another $1 trillion by the end of the year. So let's just call it $6.5 trillion in debt in 4 years. There are 300 million Americans. So if Obama had just taken everything he borrowed and divided it equally among all US citizens, every man woman and child would have gotten $21,666. Me, my wife and son would have gotten a lump sum of $65,000. So why didn't he just do that? I surely could have used the money!

We also pay 25% of our income, minus deductions, to Uncle Sam in taxes (lucky me, I barely qualify to pay 25%) plus a whole lot more in state tax, property tax, sales tax, etc. Did my family get their $65,000 worth? Am I getting a good return on the vast sums being taken from me in taxes?

In the last four years, we lost one home, but were lucky enough to land another worth half as much. My wife lost 1/2 her hours and 2/3 of her pay. My company has enforced a freeze on all raises for the last 3 years. Meanwhile the price of everything keeps climbing steadily, so our same income has less buying power today than it did four years ago.

I'm worse off, not better!! How on earth can that be??? Obama had all my tax money plus $65,000 in borrowed money to improve things for me and my family. Please explain to me why that wasn't enough to at least make my life a little better!

So how is Obama the "champion of the middle class"?

you shouldnt depend on obama or anyone else to make your life better. thats where you go wrong imo.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you shouldnt depend on obama or anyone else to make your life better. thats where you go wrong imo.
Works by me! Just give me my money back and we're square!

I could do a great deal better with the money I lose to the Democrat's ideological crusade of saving the universe. I could do a better job of spending the money wasted on military. What good is it doing me? What is the return on my investment?

But I think you and I both know that I won't get my money back and that I will burdened by the national debt. I don't get to opt out. And so here I am living paycheck to paycheck with an income that should make that impossible. I lose too much money to Uncle Sam, that's the problem. It sucks.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:

I'm sure you have a good reason to start counting four years ago, as opposed to three (when Obama took office). But let us see:
Number of private sector jobs added in 2008: -3.82m jobs (possibly the worst year to-date in that regard)
Number of private sector jobs added in 2011: +1.97m jobs (the second best year since 2000).

Even the hourly wages are 5% higher in Jan 2012 compared to Jan 2008 (adjusted for inflation). Never mind the fact that Jan 2008 was just the beginning of a recession with severity not seen since the Great Depression.

One could even say that there were more private sector jobs added in January 2012 than the number of private sector jobs created between Jan 2001 and Jan 2009. Heck, if we had seen zero jobs added in January, we would have still beat the job growth during those eight years by over 4.7 million jobs! In fact, there is even better way of using facts:

Total Number of Private Sector Jobs added in 2005+2006+2007+2008: 521K
Total Number of Private Sector Jobs added in 2011: 1972K (nearly four times as many jobs as combined growth in 2005-2008)

One has to be truly an idiot to say this country was doing better four years ago.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 02-06-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sure you have a good reason to start counting four years ago, as opposed to three (when Obama took office). But let us see:
Number of private sector jobs added in 2008: -3.82m jobs (possibly the worst year to-date in that regard)
Number of private sector jobs added in 2011: +1.97m jobs (the second best year since 2000).

Even the hourly wages are 5% higher in Jan 2012 compared to Jan 2008 (adjusted for inflation). Never mind the fact that Jan 2008 was just the beginning of a recession with severity not seen since the Great Depression. One could even say that there were more private sector jobs added in January 2012 than the number of private sector jobs created between Jan 2001 and Jan 2009. Heck, if we had seen zero jobs added in January, we would have still beat the job growth during those eight years by over 4.7 million jobs!

One has to be truly an idiot to say this country was doing better four years ago.
I have an increasing total distrust for statistics and I think you shouldn't trust statistics either. Increases in jobs vs increases in the size of the workforce. The US population increased by 27 million from 2000 to 2010 (census years). At that estimated rate of growth, the US population increases by 10.8 million each presidential term in office. A significant chunk of that added population needs jobs. So increasing the net total number of jobs in the USA to keep up with our population growth would net you 0% change in unemployment rates. There are as many ways to repackage statistics to say whatever you want as you can dream up.

Underlying thing is this: I am not better off now than I was 4 years ago. I don't think the vast majority of Americans are better of now than they were 4 years ago. Each must answer the question for themselves. Nobody can answer that for you. Statistics definitely cannot tell you that you are better or worse off.

It is not because I lack motivation. I lack opportunities. There used to be tons of people hiring in my line of work, but not right now. It's not because I don't work hard either. I do. I'm interested in a handout. I want to have the opportunity to work hard and make a lot of money, just like anyone. This nation, under Obama's watch, has not noticeably improved. It has gotten much worse from what I've seen.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
I have an increasing total distrust for statistics and I think you shouldn't trust statistics either. Increases in jobs vs increases in the size of the workforce. The US population increased by 27 million from 2000 to 2010 (census years). At that estimated rate of growth, the US population increases by 10.8 million each presidential term in office. A significant chunk of that added population needs jobs. So increasing the net total number of jobs in the USA to keep up with our population growth would net you 0% change in unemployment rates. There are as many ways to repackage statistics to say whatever you want as you can dream up...
You clearly don't mistrust statistics, you simply choose to dismiss any set of facts that don't justify your talking points. Your argument above is a clear illustration of that.

Jobs added are jobs added. Jobs subtracted are jobs subtracted. You can whine about civilian labor force and population growth all you want, but we picked four years of information and the methodology to collect the information has not been changed in decades anyway. But I won't dismiss your need to include civilian labor force as well. Adding that piece of statistics to previously provided data:
2007:
Growth in Civilian Labor Force: +774K
Growth in Private Sector Payroll: +583k.

2008:
Growth in Civilian Labor Force: +551K
Growth in Private Sector Payroll: -3.88m.

2011:
Growth in Civilian Labor Force: +637K
Growth in Private Sector Payroll: +1.97m.

So, how exactly are we doing worse today in this regard than 3-4 years ago? Are you claiming that 1.97 million jobs in 2011 is less than -3.88 million jobs in 2008, or 583K > 1.97m?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
That is what the election will come down to. If you believe that America should only provide the best opportunities and standard of living for the rich and the super-rich then Romney is your man. If you believe that corporations have more value than human life and that the interests of average Americans should take a back seat to the interest of Wall Street then the GOP is your party, make your vote.

If you believe that America should provide equal opportunities for all to succeed and that every American should play their role in the upkeep of the nation, then Obama is your man. If you see value in America having a strong middle-class and that we should implement policies that will continue to strengthen this middle class then the Democratic Party is your best choice, make your vote.

It will be the classic battle between the 99% represented by Obama and the Democrats and the 1% represented by Romney and the GOP. It's the classic battle between good and evil... between money and people power. Who will win?
Can't stop laughing.........................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections