Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM

589 posts, read 377,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Mitt Romney has put some distance between himself and the rest of the GOP field, claiming nearly a third of the primary vote in the latest NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.
When tested against a group of nine other candidates, Romney takes 30 percent of registered GOP primary voters. His closest competitor is Sarah Palin, at 14 percent, followed by Herman Cain at 12 percent, Rick Perry at 8 percent, Ron Paul at 7 percent and Newt Gingrich at 6 percent. Four other candidates – Tim Pawlenty, Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann and Jon Huntsman – are below 5 percent.

NBC/WSJ: Mitt Romney widens his lead - Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com
As expected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,060,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
As expected
We're political junkies but the rest of the voters haven't really seen Rick Perry or John Huntsman, yet, so I'm still thinking the polls don't say anything.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We're political junkies but the rest of the voters haven't really seen Rick Perry or John Huntsman, yet, so I'm still thinking the polls don't say anything.
Yes, certainly too early.
But I'm happy it's not Palin lol

Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,261,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People who don't like Romney aren't going to like Huntsman. I honestly don't really know why he is entering the race, to be honest. I don't see an "opening" for him.

Rick Perry could get a following, though, especially once Palin leaves officially (which I believe she will...). I'm a little surprised at the low numbers for Michele Bachmann, however. I thought her performance at the debate was above average and that would have courted more voters toward her. But then again the debate really wasn't overall informative or jaw-dropping.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
People who don't like Romney aren't going to like Huntsman. I honestly don't really know why he is entering the race, to be honest. I don't see an "opening" for him.

Rick Perry could get a following, though, especially once Palin leaves officially (which I believe she will...). I'm a little surprised at the low numbers for Michele Bachmann, however. I thought her performance at the debate was above average and that would have courted more voters toward her. But then again the debate really wasn't overall informative or jaw-dropping.
Maybe Bachmann stole some points from Palin ?
And I liked Huntsman, but he makes too many mistakes, he's really good for foreign affairs, but he never spoke about economics, what a shame because economically he was very good as Utah governor.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM

28,104 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I seriously think you're wrong there. I voted for Obama last time around. I more than likely will again. I'm not crazy about Mitt Romney. On the other hand, I really like Jon Huntsman a lot. He is probably the only Republican I'd vote for if he were running against Obama. Huntsman, I believe, is entering the race solely to get his foot in the door for 2016. I suspect he knows he doesn't have much of a chance in 2012, and expects Obama to end up getting a second term. Then, when he runs in 2016, he will be better known and better accepted. Here's some info on him. I found the following paragraph to be especially interesting:

"During his tenure as Governor, Utah was repeatedly recognized by many prestigious organizations for its dynamism, business climate and quality of life. Perhaps most importantly, Utah was named by the Pew Center as the Best Managed State in America. Even in times of economic hardship, Huntsman worked collaboratively with stakeholders to minimize impacts to critical human services while maintaining job-stimulating construction projects and keeping the State's Rainy Day Fund intact as a tool for any future fiscal distress."

Old 06-16-2011, 12:34 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,261,971 times
^Katzpur - I am talking about right-wing Republican primary voters. Those who don't like Romney complain he is too moderate and not conservative enough. Huntsman is just as moderate, if not even more left, than Romney. That doesn't score him points with those far right voters.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,876,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
As expected
I agree, the GOP is working hard to get a candidate that resembles Obama as much as possible.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,522,728 times
I disagreed with 80% of what he said, but he did a good job, that's for sure. I still think the far-right folk aren't going to vote for him because of his "leftness" and Mormonism.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,414,209 times
Yep. The "safe" Republican pick will win it. He is good-looking and great on camera. He is the answer to the Democrats good-looking guy who is also great on camera. The Hollywoodification of politics is complete and we - if we haven't paid for it enough already - it will be hell to pay on us all. Bachmann will be VP because she is young-looking and good on camera as well. Gone are the days of candidates who are of substance and do their homework. They have been replaced by the facade. Romney vs Obama will produce no winners for the American people - just the same ol', same ol'. They both will spew things that seamingly separate them, but once they are elected - they move to the "center" and basically nullify the elections. Those that own them both will be the winners and we lose again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections