Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 AM

22,242 posts, read 19,565,219 times

Advertisements

Obama's approval jumps to 57% (up from 49%) in Virginia. He previously led all Republicans and continues to do so, but increased his margin. Romney is the closest, trails by 7 (he was down by 2 in the previous poll). He is up 9 on Hucakbee and 20 against Pawlenty (obviously the least known candidate polled) Obama holds a massive lead against Palin & Trump as his margin on the two of them crack 30%.

Bin Laden killing gives Obama lift in Virginia - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,190,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Obama's approval jumps to 57% (up from 49%) in Virginia. He previously led all Republicans and continues to do so, but increased his margin. Romney is the closest, trails by 7 (he was down by 2 in the previous poll). He is up 9 on Hucakbee and 20 against Pawlenty (obviously the least known candidate polled) Obama holds a massive lead against Palin & Trump as his margin on the two of them crack 30%.

I don't think this means a heck of a lot today, it will in 6 to 10 months maybe. Right now we don't even know who is really running and it is too early to pick a winner. Look at it this way: Mr jones is asked who he would vote for, he is a strong Huck supporter, but thinks Huck won't run so he might actaully say, if I can't have Huck I will vote for Obama. When there are 10 or more names being thrown around against only 1 person the polls are more off than usual.

Nita

Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,002,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

It is worth remembering that Virginia was the site of one of the September 11th attacks (the Pentagon, of course).

The killing of Osama bin Laden undoubtedly helps the President in some ways (either directly as an issue or in more general perceptions) but it won't be worth 9% at the polls 18 months from now. More likely, it will be somewhere in between what the over-eagar partisans think -- it won't be meaningless, but it won't clinch 2012, either.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,278,028 times
Now, does this mean Obama has it in the bag and will walk away with Virginia? Of course not, however all I was doing was posting that he is currently in good shape in Virginia. I don't see how that is a stupid post, unless of course you don't like the results of the poll.[/quote]
Actually, I think you need to look at the results a little more closely to see that the shift really isn't that significant.

(1)His approval number went up from 49% to 57%. That's an 8 point jump after killing Public Enemy #1. A bump for sure, but it is on par with the jumps in approval nationally.

(2) The number of Virginians "definitely" voting for Obama is virtually unchanged (within the margin of error). The change came from people "considering' voting for him. And this I believe is natural, given the circumstances last week. However, note that still close to 1/3 Virginians will still "definitely not" vote for Obama. The wavering group in the "consider" column could easily swing back to "not" after the euphoria disappears and if economic conditions continue to worsen, which brings me to...

(3) 89% of Virginians feel the economy is "not-so-good"/"poor." In the end, this is what will decide people's feeling in 2012. It has in virtually all modern elections.

(4) Now, when looking at the matchups with the Republican candidates, the changes for Obama with Romney, Huckabee, and Pawlenty quite small, IMO (yes, his lead is statistically significant, but going up 3 "for Obama" points from poll-to-poll in an election 18 months out is not exactly earth-shattering).

Overall, these poll results are not that interesting to me really. I think the only thing that we learned (and knew pre-bin Laden killing) is that Trump and Palin would be awful candidates for Republicans to capture Virginia and likely any other significant swing state.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-10-2011 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,261,312 times
It's interesting to note that Obama had a 52% approval rating in VA before Bin Laden's death.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,178,643 times
Americans are tired of the BS patronizing statements and the elitist attitudes. Ron Paul is going to tear apart every candidate in the coming debates, and Americans are starting to wake up.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:42 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,190,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Americans are tired of the BS patronizing statements and the elitist attitudes. Ron Paul is going to tear apart every candidate in the coming debates, and Americans are starting to wake up.
Well that is interesting< when is the next debate and what is going to happen when Obama is part of those debates? Of course everyone knows I am certainly not an Obama supporter, but if you really think Ron P will get the nomination you need to think again. If he becomes anywhere close to a servious candidate he will be taken apart!!!

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections