Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,102,994 times

Advertisements

According to a 5 poll average RealClearPolitics - 2010 Florida Senate Race

Had Jeff Greene won the Democratic Primary they predicted that Crist would win. However if Meek won, Rubio would win the general election. Now that Meek has won, RCP is predicting Rubio to be the Senate candidate. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM

22,279 posts, read 19,638,712 times
Too early to speculate. Meek is a stronger candidate than Greene and that is generally reflective in the polls. With that being said we have not seen enough consistency in the polls to really paint this one way or the other. Even with the last five polls we have two showing Crist ahead, three showing Rubio ahead. Until the polls become more consistent showing one or the other in the lead I don't think you can rank this as anything other than a toss up at this point.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Too early to speculate. Meek is a stronger candidate than Greene and that is generally reflective in the polls. With that being said we have not seen enough consistency in the polls to really paint this one way or the other. Even with the last five polls we have two showing Crist ahead, three showing Rubio ahead. Until the polls become more consistent showing one or the other in the lead I don't think you can rank this as anything other than a toss up at this point.
It actually does show that Florida is a toss-up however there's also an option that says Senate No Tossups and that is predicting Rubio winning anyway. Though anything can happen now. Rubio doesn't seem to be strong on illegal immigration and I don't have high hopes of him being strong for SB1070. I've seen videos of him being asked immigration questions, and he keeps answering with the generic, "well I'm for legal immigration". I smell a Hispanderer in Rubio like I do in McCain.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,947,705 times
The Florida Repubs always support the money, hence Scott as their choice for Gov. The Florida Dems look at the individual, not the money, hence Meek for Senate. I don't think Meek could carry Florida against Rubio. Rubio will get South Florida Repubs and some Dems because he is Latino. Meek cannot hope to get much, other than Dems in Central and North Florida. Now Crist, he can draw Dems and Repubs, in all areas of Florida. Add to that, Rubio is basically a TP nut, I think Crist could pull it out. He would be one of the very few Moderates, other than Moderate Dems, in the US Senate.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Florida Repubs always support the money, hence Scott as their choice for Gov. The Florida Dems look at the individual, not the money, hence Meek for Senate. I don't think Meek could carry Florida against Rubio. Rubio will get South Florida Repubs and some Dems because he is Latino. Meek cannot hope to get much, other than Dems in Central and North Florida. Now Crist, he can draw Dems and Repubs, in all areas of Florida. Add to that, Rubio is basically a TP nut, I think Crist could pull it out. He would be one of the very few Moderates, other than Moderate Dems, in the US Senate.
I think you'll find that Crist is most likely going to split the liberal vote in Florida as per my links I posted above. Too bad that only liberals see the tea party as nuts. Crist was a RINO, or a moderate as you say, therefore he is most likely going to steal votes away from Meek, not Rubio

Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,888,241 times
The reason that Greene didnt beat Meeks is not because Meek is this strong candidate its because of Greenes own past and dealings.

Look how many turned out for Rubio and then Meeks. Rubio got more votes then both Meeks and Greene together

Meek , Kendrick Dem 522,940 57%
Greene , Jeff Dem 283,368 31%
Rubio , Marco GOP 1,059,514 85%

Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That is dreaming. Meeks doesnt have a chance against either Crist or Rubio

Crist will take votes from Meeks since Crist is closer to issues with Meeks then he is Rubio

Meeks is from Miami Dade Hence why he got around 70% of the democrat vote in Dade

I think Rubio is going to hammer Crist on he'll say and do whatever to win and that just might cost Crist

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,947,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think you'll find that Crist is most likely going to split the liberal vote in Florida as per my links I posted above. Too bad that only liberals see the tea party as nuts. Crist was a RINO, or a moderate as you say, therefore he is most likely going to steal votes away from Meek, not Rubio
Although there are few, if any, Moderate Conservatives in Congress, there are a lot of Moderate Conservative voters. Not to mention, most Independents are Moderate and a lot of Dem voters are Moderate. Crist is a Moderate, former Republican, who left the GOP when it moved to the extreme right. Meek will get a significant portion of the Democratic left, but even some of them will opt for Crist. Because they will feel, Meek may not get enough total votes, and Florida, nor this Country, can afford to allow Rubio into the Senate.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Just seen a democrat pollster and they have Rubio up 8

Crist will be seen as a person that will do and say whatever it takes to win. As Floridians are suffering with losing their homes and jobs, add in the already high cost of living. The chances of Crist winning gets slimmer and slimmer.

Floridians are going to feel like Crist has had years as gov and things have not improved.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,179,532 times
Too bad, at least Crist isn't a raving nutjob.

Rubio is an ideologue. I've had enough of that, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections