Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 PM

50 posts, read 193,207 times

Advertisements

ok i had a few questions about living in mexico and el paso...

for starters i have lived in mexico before but i am not a citizen. Recently i have been thinking of moving to juarez but working in el paso..my questions are..

I have a degree in history but i dont teach, how hard will it be for me to find a job(i speak spanish)

I know the violence in juarez is bad but is it so bad that no one goes out? how do people meet?

Im a single male(31) how hard would it be for me to meet someone in juarez?

Anyone know how long the bridge lines are? in laredo its freaking horrible!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 AM

72 posts, read 97,396 times
I had to double check the date on this post. Have you been reading the papers lately? NOW is not the time I would be moving to Juarez. Now is not the time I would even visit Juarez.

In any case, to answer your OP. Your speaking Spanish will be a definite plus. If I wasn't in the Defense industry (where being bilingual isn't required to make a good living), I would have left this city years ago. I don't think you should have to much of a problem finding a job in the education sector.

Obviously you will meet people at the place you will be working, so I assume you are talking about meeting women. Because I never worked in an industry with an abundance of single/available women, I primarily met women at dance clubs. Because you speak Spanish, meeting women will be easy. The reason I speak the amount of Spanish I do, is because I got tired of not being able to pursue some women because they didn't speak any English. I didn't want language to be a factor in my choices. I had a much larger selection available to me once I learned enough Spanish to have somewhat of a conversation.

The lines at the bridge can be very long. Generally no more than about an hour though. This was before the "troubles" over in Juarez, and the lines might actually be better now. I don't know, because I refuse to take my life into my hands by going there. If they drug lords only targeted other drug dealers, etc., then it wouldn't be an issue. I see too much collateral damage occurring, and also see a rise in crime in general. I would advise against actually moving to Juarez.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
You can meet most of the people of Juarez over here. They come over here to party. And live and shop and eat. Like the other poster said, since you speak Spanish you won't have any trouble finding a job or women.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM

121 posts, read 402,292 times
the women around here are gold diggers. I'm not saying don't mess with them, just that you better be prepared.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM

50 posts, read 193,207 times
how are they gold diggers? i mean it just really depends..obviously women from mexico expect certain things and a certain way of living if they come to the united states...also we have refineries here so all the hispanics go work there where someone coming from mexico with no degree makes like $20 dollars an hour..it cant be as bad as that...

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward237828 View Post
how are they gold diggers? i mean it just really depends..obviously women from mexico expect certain things and a certain way of living if they come to the united states...also we have refineries here so all the hispanics go work there where someone coming from mexico with no degree makes like $20 dollars an hour..it cant be as bad as that...
I don't think they are gold diggers per say, BUT if the women has strong ties to the "old" country if you ever got married it would be to her whole family not just her. In other words her family (mom/dad) would expect you to help them out as much as possible, and/or they could come and stay with you for "extended" visits. But like I said this depends how strong the ties are to the Mexican culture.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward237828 View Post
ok i had a few questions about living in mexico and el paso...

for starters i have lived in mexico before but i am not a citizen. Recently i have been thinking of moving to juarez but working in el paso..my questions are..

I have a degree in history but i dont teach, how hard will it be for me to find a job(i speak spanish)

I know the violence in juarez is bad but is it so bad that no one goes out? how do people meet?

Im a single male(31) how hard would it be for me to meet someone in juarez?

Anyone know how long the bridge lines are? in laredo its freaking horrible!!!

Thanks!
You can rule out living in Juarez now. The killings of the Consulate people has probably upped this whole thing.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can rule out living in Juarez now. The killings of the Consulate people has probably upped this whole thing.
Wow, I hadn't heard about that until you mentioned it.

Saturday afternoon... the victims (2 Americans, 1 Mexican) had left a social gathering at another consulate worker’s home when they were attacked... one was found dead in a white Honda Pilot, with bullet wounds to his body. In the back seat, were two injured children, one aged four and one seven.... another call came in exactly 10 minutes later, several miles away. This time it was a Toyota RAV 4 with Texas plates that had been shot up, with two dead adults inside and a baby crying from a car seat in the back

U.S. Consular Aide and Husband Killed in Mexico - NYTimes.com

The photo below shows the scene - opposite the downtown bridge.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...e=politicsNews

A relative was recently held up at her business in Juarez and a friend was in the chair at a hair salon when an armed couple herded everyone into a back room and robbed the till.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Wow, I hadn't heard about that until you mentioned it.

Saturday afternoon... the victims (2 Americans, 1 Mexican) had left a social gathering at another consulate worker’s home when they were attacked... one was found dead in a white Honda Pilot, with bullet wounds to his body. In the back seat, were two injured children, one aged four and one seven.... another call came in exactly 10 minutes later, several miles away. This time it was a Toyota RAV 4 with Texas plates that had been shot up, with two dead adults inside and a baby crying from a car seat in the back

U.S. Consular Aide and Husband Killed in Mexico - NYTimes.com

The photo below shows the scene - opposite the downtown bridge.
Mexico gunmen kill American consulate staff | Reuters

A relative was recently held up at her business in Juarez and a friend was in the chair at a hair salon when an armed couple herded everyone into a back room and robbed the till.
All along the border now, they're telling American Consulates to get their families out and into the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: