Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,971 times

Advertisements

I'll be passing through and have always wanted to visit El Paso/Juarez.

Assuming I visit Juarez during the day and on foot am I likely to encounter any problems given the violent reputation it has?

As for El Paso I have no concerns regarding safety as it's in civilised Texas (also I'll have my CCW with me )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post

Assuming I visit Juarez during the day and on foot am I likely to encounter any problems given the violent reputation it has?

As for El Paso I have no concerns regarding safety as it's in civilised Texas (also I'll have my CCW with me )
I grew up in Juarez (mid 70's to late 80's) and even I don't go down there anymore even though I have some family there still. If you do go don't forget to leave your weapon back in EP otherwise if you get caught with it by Mexican customs your are in deep S**T.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default No problem...

Quote:

Juarez welcomes tourists with open arms (S&W, Glock, AK47, etc.)! From the charm of Diez y Seis de Septiembre, to the whimsy of the Colonias, explore fantastic old Mexico, land of color, smells of the open sewers. Let your imagination run free where ordinary life is just a fairy tale and dreams of survival abound!

For the thrill seeker, enter a journey into the scary, and deadly world of the Drug Lords. As you roam the streets, you are in for a thrill of a lifetime full of incomrehensible dangers and unimaginable excitement!

For the family, celebrate a daily evening of magic with a breathtaking fireworks spectacular. Bursts of small, yet powerful rays of light from gun barrles will be sure to dazzle you as you are immersed in a sea of audio effects in stereo! All the brilliant sparks will dance between you as the show sways from one side of the street to the others. Weather permitting, some fireworks are mobile!

Celebrate the end of your stay with the festive dancers and patrons of the Seven and Seven Bar! Dancing with the locals, enjoying the sounds of tuba players and cute dancers bulging out of their clothes, a memorable night awaits you! (Disclaimer: Don't accept drinks from strangers)

Now for some last minute tips to make your experience more enjoyable....

Make sure you wear your fanny pack for convenience, and don't forget to bring your camera; it's perfectly fine to hang the camera around your neck as you peruse the neighborhoods.

It is hot, but also dusty, so go ahead and wear bermuda shorts, and wear sandles with socks, to keep the dust away from inbetween your toes. You can find the huge sombreros at most shops around the city to keep the sun at bay for yourself, and two other people who walk in your shadow.

Bring some face masks with you, you never know when you will come across a decaying body by the road these days. Don't rent a car, with an average of 248 murders a month, the streets are often busy with police, ambulance, and hearsts.

Also bring a translation dictionary so you can make sense of those banners placed a the feet of the dead. They are usually political in nature, authored by the cartels. Just a silly warning message usually.

Who said hangings ended this century? Silly people. There are many must see spots in and around Juarez where people have been left hanging, but you may have to ask the locals, I'm not sure tribute plaques have been placed, though you might find mini shrines in their place.

If you want to make a few bucks to defray the cost of the trip, you might bring a sack to pickup shell casings, there is an abundance of brass littering the streets, it's a bonanza and I don't know why, but not even the locals are hip to this hidden recyclable treasure!

Before embarking on this memorable trip, do some housekeeping at home. Make sure you have ample life insurance (you never know when your time may come), and also make a will and testament, just for that extra piece of mind.

Enjoy Juarez!

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 10-05-2009 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Nice one HTBU!

I'm not an obvious fanny pack wearing tourista and I can speak Spanish so a complete victim I am certainly not.........however I was wondering how advisable a trip across the border was.

Sounds iffy so I may give it a miss and obviously I'd be leaving my legally held firearm back in the good ole US of A.

I was only planning a quick trip into to town for a bite to eat and to say I'd been in Me-hi-co.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default I was kidding of course, with a thread of truth though...

Just go in the day time, stay within sight of other shoppers, and don't stray, and don't go too far from the border, and security and you should do just fine.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

121 posts, read 402,371 times
It's obvious you're looking for adventure. Go ahead.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 PM

Adventure yes, .45 calibre decorative holes in my body, no.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
I go to Juarez by myself and I have NT encountered any problems yet but I am aware of the danger there as my Mother there in ELP always tells me...just go in the daytime..and yes. stick to the main streets..but like everyone tells me...go at your own risk

Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

You won't need your CCW in El Paso, you should have one in Juarez but they won't let you.

No one is going to advise someone to go over to Juarez. Probably you could go and wander all over the place and be just fine - most of the killings involve people who are connected some way with crime -- although people who know Juare very well say that innocent people are being kidnapped and held for ransom.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM

121 posts, read 402,371 times
To be honest, CCW wouldn't even matter in Juarez. The criminals go around in groups and carry automatic assault rifles. A pistol wouldn't matter against that.

With that said, a lot of people of course live there and most aren't going to be hurt by the violence since it is generally not political (yet). Like other say, if you do go, don't go at night, avoid isolated stretches like towards east Juarez, and preferably stay near the bridges. People ARE targeted for theft in remote roads. Generally speaking, if you see the Mexican soldiers riding around, that's not an isolated area.

Still, there's really not much to see in Juarez unless you want to see the 3rd world for the first time, and the current environment is not appealing, but it's your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: